BC Boards

Buster, Plan C failed also

Friday, when I got home, Buster could hardly walk from spending the day trying to get out of his kennel, he was on the downward spiral to destruction. I went and checked out a companion for him and found a lovely dog who is 5 years old with a very mellow disposion. The rescue was a noisey place and she was loose in the yard, stepping over the cats and just hanging out. Came back the next day for DH and Buster to meet her. Unlike the other dog, she and Buster showed more interest in each other, so we brought her home. Last night at bedtime she was unsure about coming with me and Buster was running back and forth between her and the bedroom showing her the way. So far it is going very well. My FIL is going to keep an eye on them during the day and keep in touch with my husband. So here is Sheba (not sure about the name), she is German Shepard and Great Pyrenese according to the rescue, she had a brother who was already adopted, perhaps he looked more Great Pyrenese.

post-7560-1282571801_thumb.jpg

She sure looks sweet. Fingers and toes crossed that she will be just what poor Buster and his long suffering humans need!

Liz, a brief bit of history. Buster used to have a canine buddy who passed away. I believe it was at that point that his torturous SA flared up and his people have been trying everything to help him feel more secure and stay safe. The first dog did not work, as you pointed out but there is a chance a different dog will help this guy who otherwise needs people with him 24/7. That isn't an option for too many owners out there.

She sure looks sweet. Fingers and toes crossed that she will be just what poor Buster and his long suffering humans need!

Liz, a brief bit of history. Buster used to have a canine buddy who passed away. I believe it was at that point that his torturous SA flared up and his people have been trying everything to help him feel more secure and stay safe. The first dog did not work, as you pointed out but there is a chance a different dog will help this guy who otherwise needs people with him 24/7. That isn't an option for too many owners out there.

It's a tough situation, for sure. Hope the new gal will work out!

Liz

So far so good. Against all advice I put them out together yesterday. My FIL said Buster did his usual flip out, but after he got told to settle down, he and the now named Romana spent the day quietly in the kennel. This is the first time I have not come home to him covered in dirt from digging and burying his toys, which I have been unable to find again. Romana may be almost Border Collie smart. She picked up the routine in one day. When she is unsure she follows Buster, but doesn't take any nonsense from him (he tried to hump her, she let him know that it was not going to happen and he backed off). I joke that she is is twin sister. I am a little concerned that she isn't very active, but she was treated for heartworm a few months back and needs to be re-tested. She needs at least 10lbs more weight, but she isn't a big eater. There is a bond forming that the other dog did not initiate or encourage, so I am very hopeful that there is a happy future.

Archived