BC Boards

Learning "peep-peep!"

Hi there! I've been away a while: I have been in hospital - they chopped my left leg off (diabetes). Although I'm home now, I'm still in a wheelchair, and this is why Kali and Snorri have to learn "peep-peep!" (Think Roadrunner :rolleyes: ). So far, I haven't run over any paws or tails, but for such an intelligent breed, they are being remarkably slow on the uptake this time! In fact, Snorri is still trying to get into the wheelchair with me. Kali sits down in front of the wheels and has a scratch whenever he's told to move! ****** dogs!

Snorri

:D

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your leg. I've taught all my dogs "move", which means "go somewhere else" - but frequently they (Zeeke especially) moves only an inch or two. I just shuffle right into them to move them out of the way. Maybe your cool wheels are confusing them.

Hi Snorri

I'm so sorry about your situation but so impressed with your outlook! Give yourself and the dogs time and you guys will be good to go! You'll have them pulling you in tandem I?m sure! What beautiful helpers you will have!

Prayers to you and your health

Kristen

Hi there Snorri. Sorry to hear about your health worries. I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were. Wow - quite a lot of adaptation to go on all round, it seems.

Your post did make me smile, though, because I've just started riding a bike with the dogs - same issues. They're fine when they're off lead, but they have to learn to be on lead with me as well. Kirra is pretty protective of her body, so she's quite good at getting out of the way, but Fergus still doesn't really get it - and then when he gets confused, he just stops and looks at me. I'm not as good as you - I did actually bump him and (slightly) run over his paw the other day (no worse than stepping on it - which I've also done.)

When you find the solution, let me know! (Oh, and I hope I won't insult you when I say you're probably of the generation that will remember Wind in the Willows - remember Mr Toad with the car - another "Peep-peep".)

Hey Snorri, sorry to hear about the leg. Hope it will fix things for ya for a good long time! Diabetes sucks! It will take time for the doggies to get it that this is how you are going to get around for a while. Just don't try racing down the hall with them till they do!

All the best to you!

Snorri, Really sorry to hear about your amputation. My DH has been through the same thing. He is a below the right knee and a left foot amputee from diabetes. It sure does suck. :mad:

Our little Aussie girl has figured out that if she jumps in Dad's lap, she can get away from the other two dogs and go for a "free ride" :rolleyes: Wish I had a picture to share.

Just keep working with your gang, they will get the hand of "peep-peep". Ours still get stubborn sometimes and stay put in place until DH just pushes into them. Then they decide he means business and then they move. :D

Any plans for a prosthesis? Good luck and fast healing what ever your plans.

Snorri - I had been wondering where you were...so sorry to hear about your leg. The same thing happened to my grandmother and I know how much it can hurt, but you seem to have the upbeat attitude that is needed to deal with it. You truly are an inspiration.

Give it time and the dogs will get the hang of things.

Teeheee, Muddy! I was just hoping I wasn't the only card-carrying Senior on the boards! :rolleyes:

I get to re-read Wind in the Willows with the kids in the school I work at every now and again. It does stand the test of time, doesn't it. There's a lovely animated movie of it too - faithful to the original - made in England in 1995.

Hey Snorri...sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe it's time to teach the 'boys' how to pull you around....just think how fast you'll go...of course, they might not like the idea too much! Take care, and nice to 'see' you back!

Darn, Snorri---it's great you're here again, but I'm so sorry about your leg. I hope you're feeling better---I'm sure it's nice to be home from the hospital. Rest up, heal up... and watch out for paws and tails!

(A childhood friend in Mexico was nicknamed BeeBeep, after the Roadrunner :rolleyes: )

[Still an all-time favorite book.(Illustrator Ernest Shepard rocks.)]