BC Boards

The Border Collie Hop

It's not a new dance craze--or maybe it is....

I live on 200+ acres, so when I go walking, Whisper is off-leash. She loves to explore. When she scents something that intrigues her, or sees something rush off into the brush, she takes of running for about six or seven steps, then does a four-legged hop (think Pepe Lepew from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons) another five steps or so. Her ears are up, her head is up. She then stops dead, because whatever she thought she could chase is long gone.

Has anyone seen their dog do this? Or is Whisper the only one?

I've definitely seen dogs do this. Maybe it's the notion of "pouncing" on the prey?

Buddy, my current dog, does a crazy straight-up-in-the-air vertical leap when something startles him from below. Funny, but embarrassing for him, I imagine, since it's usually a blade of grass or stray leaf that spooks him. :rolleyes:

Mary

I've seen my dog and lots of others - all different breeds - do this. I always thought it was a sort of atavistic hunting behavior as this is how foxes, coyotes & wolves hunt rodents.

post-10533-1281373309_thumb.jpg post-10533-1281373325_thumb.jpg post-10533-1281373343_thumb.jpg post-10533-1281373354_thumb.jpg post-10533-1281373362_thumb.jpg post-10533-1281373374_thumb.jpg

I've never seen JJ or Jake do it but because she's 1/2 aussie Josie use to do the Aussie Hop. She would be running all out, belly to the ground and just before she got to her destination, she would slow down, hop once then walk quickly to her spot. To keep up with the boys, I never see her do it now. But last winter it apparently came in handy when there was snow on the ground. :rolleyes:

DSC_0060cropped2.jpg

The original poster's first description sounds like pronking or stotting. (Google will turn those terms up, in conjunction with springbok and other antelope.) I had a Jack Russell Terrier/Bull Terrier cross years ago (think Corgi-sized JRT on steroids) who did the Pepe LePew pronking run. Wow, did that dog have muscle mass. He could BOUNCE. Hacked-off sheep sometimes do it, too. I love the photos of the prey-pouncing, also. Thanks all for sharing. I got a photo of one of my dogs doing a very dramatic mock prey-pounce just the other day, I'll try to remember to put it up.

Liz S in SCPA

Please note that both dogs in this photo from Sunday afternoon were playing friendly mind games. A fair amount of silly stalking, pretend offense, and amiable trash talk had been going on, which is how I had enough warning to have the camera ready. The pounce missed by a mile, and the wizened old cattle dog with his eyes rolling had been inviting the pounce. These two are best friends, though it's an unlikely alliance if you know the cattle dog.

I got a photo of one of my dogs doing a very dramatic mock prey-pounce just the other day, I'll try to remember to put it up.

Liz S in SCPA

post-8652-1281400305_thumb.jpg

WOW....I thought Harlow was the only dog to do this! I just didn't know how to describe it other than bouncing like a bunny when she's chasing something. Whenever she's off leash in the woods and hears a chipmunk she'll run after it hopping. It's really cute but she looks kind of nerdy :rolleyes:

Hahaha! :rolleyes: I've see my dog do that a few times. It's great to watch. I think maybe mice, because she actually found one in a short cut field one time and did something similar.

Jack does it when his ball goes in to high grass, or a place that he does not easily see, and he has to hunt them down. He will pounce on it and then grab it and shake it and then run around like a mad man with a fresh kill :rolleyes:

Archived