BC Boards

Buddy = Genius

I'm not getting into the politics of whether dogs can think or not. Just sharing an anecdote that proves my dog's genius. :rolleyes:

I've mentioned before how handy I found the "touch" command - if I tell Buddy to "touch" when he's being pesky and whiny, he'll go touch the thing he wants: the toy box, the squeaker, the kibble that's stuck under the couch.

Today, I had a fever all day. The achy joints, throbbing head, just want to sleep kind of fever. I've mostly been sleeping or lying on my couch all day. I called my neighbor and asked her if she would walk Buddy this afternoon, but he didn't want to go with her if I stayed in the house, so she had to bring him back. I ran to the grocery store to get some chicken soup, and then gave Buddy a very brief lap around the local college field. Icky, sicky feeling - so I came home, kicked my walking shoes off, and fell asleep on my couch again.

At this point, Buddy was irritated with his lack of exercise and activity today. I tried "touch Squeaker" and "where's bone?" but it wasn't enough.

When I woke up from my nap, I found Buddy giving me the eye - staring at my face expectantly, unmoving. I did not want to entertain him, so I said, "Buddy, sit."

He sat. And looked at me. And then raised his paw and did a most distinct and unbidden "TOUCH" on my walking shoes.

He got his walk. :D

Mary (feeling better)

I'm still in awe of these creatures. I use the "touch" command when he seems a little unsure of something (like a new piece of furniture, or something he knows, but he realizes is out of place.) :rolleyes:

A few days ago he came up to me while I was watching t.v. and stared at me till I acknowledged him. I asked him what he wanted and he looked at the remote then back at me. I said, "T.V. off?" and he looked at it again. So I decided to challenge him a little and asked, "Okay, then what?" He licked his mouth, which is what he does when he's hungry or has just had something good to eat. I said, "Hungry?" and he licked again. Perfect communication! :D

Archived