BC Boards

only my dog....

seriously..only MY dog goes to the vet with what looks by all outward appearences to be a dislocated shoulder, the vet x-rays to see if its minor enough to be popped back into place, and comes back with his x-rays in her hand and a totally bewildered expression, shows me the x-rays and I see why she is so confused..their IS a bone sticking out..but it is NOT his shoulder. there is just this random bone comming from somewhere near his ribcage curled around past his shoulder bones and sticking out the front of his shoulder. :rolleyes: I couldnt tell where exactly this bone came from..neither could the vet, so she had the bone surgeon(he is very high caliber with an amazing repuation for anything bone) take a look at it today..and he is just as baffled as everyone else! he said to keep Rusty on pain meds for a week and see how he is from there..figeres he will be in so much pain they will have to operate blindly, figering it out as they go to try to fix it..or he will learn to adjust and live with it. yup..only MY dog des something so strange that he leaves a wake of baffled medical personal behind him.

This is probably a stupid question, but...

do you feed a raw diet? I once had Sophie x-rayed, and the vet came into the exam room with the print scratching his head and quite concerned about the random bits of bone fragments they revealed. Until I told him that those bones were from her previous evening's lamb dinner and not actually her own broken bones...

I want to see those rads!!!!

Sometimes a bone the dog ate will slice through the GI tract and migrate through the dog's body, later popping out at an odd location. I did see one come out at the shoulder in a lab.

seriously..only MY dog goes to the vet with what looks by all outward appearences to be a dislocated shoulder, the vet x-rays to see if its minor enough to be popped back into place, and comes back with his x-rays in her hand and a totally bewildered expression, shows me the x-rays and I see why she is so confused..their IS a bone sticking out..but it is NOT his shoulder. there is just this random bone comming from somewhere near his ribcage curled around past his shoulder bones and sticking out the front of his shoulder. :rolleyes: I couldnt tell where exactly this bone came from..neither could the vet, so she had the bone surgeon(he is very high caliber with an amazing repuation for anything bone) take a look at it today..and he is just as baffled as everyone else! he said to keep Rusty on pain meds for a week and see how he is from there..figeres he will be in so much pain they will have to operate blindly, figering it out as they go to try to fix it..or he will learn to adjust and live with it. yup..only MY dog des something so strange that he leaves a wake of baffled medical personal behind him.

This sounds a bit strange. Could the bone in question be in the intestines somewhere ?

I took my bitch Lyn to be radiographed about a week before whelping ( at UCD in CA) and when I came into the room my vet announced-look she s having 6 puppies and a ground squirrel. I had to fess up that Lyn had scarfed down a dead squirrel that am before our trip to the vet. ( I live on a ranch). The bones were clear, even down to the little feet. I think it grossed out all the students watching.

I sure hope your dog is going to be fine.

Carolyn

the bone is sticking out of his shoulder and extends down only just behind his shoulder, its not actually at his ribs, the end not sticking out his shoulder looks looks as though its headed in that direction, didnt mean to be misleading! to give a better picture..the vet thought perhaps the ridge off his scalpula had fractured off, it almost looks like its peeling off the back of his scalpula

I took my bitch Lyn to be radiographed about a week before whelping ( at UCD in CA) and when I came into the room my vet announced-look she s having 6 puppies and a ground squirrel. I had to fess up that Lyn had scarfed down a dead squirrel that am before our trip to the vet. ( I live on a ranch). The bones were clear, even down to the little feet. I think it grossed out all the students watching.

Carolyn

That is just too funny!

Yes...it would be very interesting to see the x-ray. If its a digital image, they can reformat it to jpeg and email it to you. If its a film x-ray, you can take a photo of it with a digital camera and get fairly decent quality.

I'm really confused - does the vet actually think it's ok to leave the bone sticking out of the dog's shoulder? Or is that temporary until surgery? And why not do the surgery right away?

its a film x-ray and I dont have it, I only saw it.

and both at this point, he wants to leave it for a week and see how Rusty is doing..is it causing serious problems or not kind of thing. ifs its causing serious problems he will go in and try to fix it, but he would be making it up as he goes pretty much. but if after a week its not bothering him, then he said to leave it be, so yes Rusty may very end up living with a bone sticking out his shoulder. and honestly I dont think he will end up needing the surgery because after only 1 day he hardly even needs the pain meds. his movement is only slightly altered..a little bit of a hitch in his step, and he holds that leg up when he does stairs and as he lays down, buts that it, without looking for it you would have no idea anything was wrong.

I took my bitch Lyn to be radiographed about a week before whelping ( at UCD in CA) and when I came into the room my vet announced-look she s having 6 puppies and a ground squirrel.

hahahaahahahahahahahahahaha!!

RDM

I sure hope your dog is going to be fine.

Carolyn

That is hysterical. And yeah, a little gross. :rolleyes:

Carolyn

I hope eating ground squirrels isn't hereditary :@)

Also hope that Rusty is going to be OK ... really curious to hear what it is and what they decide to do ... very strange and a little scary :@(

well he seems to be fine is the thing.. his gair is altered, he;s not limping but he has a hitch in his step, and when he goes up and down starirs he holds that leg up and go 3 legged and when he lays down her holds that leg up as he lays down, then puts the leg down. but he is walking, running, jumping etc.. I may just get him a harness that doesnt put pressure in that area for his walks..its very near his neck so I am afraid to walk him on just the collar..he doesnt pull, but if he see's another dogs he gets exited. the H style harness I have on him ATM puts pressure a little to close to the bone for my comfort. plus its a little big as it belongs to my moms little dog who is not built as tall and lean as Rusty is lol

I know this is expensive, but...

Have you considered seeing someone else?

Leaving a bone where a bone doesn't belong sounds like a recipe for long-term problems. I've ever heard of such a treatment. Seems like it would have to permanently alter the gait, and possibly lead to arthritis, reinjury, and all kinds of trouble as the dog ages.

I'm nowhere near a vet - so is this common, forum?

Mary

I would also be concerned about leaving it. I had a dog that I got from the humane society that had a bone that was left and healed wrong and she had all kinds of trouble with it throughout her life, especially when she was older. I would be seeking another opinion.

seeing who? the surgeon we saw is the reguarded as the best..every other vet will simply refere us to him! IF the bone is seriously bothering him, the surgeon will go in and try to fix it.

this is the vet he is under the care of:

Shortly after the start of his practice career, Dr. Harasen began developing a special interest in orthopedic surgery which has grown to the point that orthopedics accounts for the majority of his professional activity. He has published many articles on the subject including a bimonthly column in the Canadian Veterinary Journal. In 2005 and 2008 articles by Dr. Harasen were published in the international journal of veterinary orthopedics, Veterinary Comparative Orthopedics and Traumatology. He has lectured to veterinarians and veterinary technologists and is currently an orthopedic surgery consultant for the internet-based Veterinary Information Network. Dr. Harasen is a past-President of the Saskatchewan Veterinary Medical Association and a recipient of it's 2006 Meritorious Service Award. He was named the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association's Small Animal Practitioner of the Year in 2002

seeing who?

I dunno - and I'm not questioning the credentials of your vet. I have no idea about stuff like this. I'm just picturing human treatment, and can't imagine anyone ever saying "There's a bone where it shouldn't be, but we'll just leave it there." Maybe this is a standard way to deal with this in dogs, who can't explain where they're hurting. ::Shrug::

Mary

sorry, I just get people online forever calling every vet I see a total idiot and unqualified etc.. etc.. everytime they dont agree with the vets asessment, when they themselves have not once layed eyes or hands on the animal in question, it drives me crazy!

as for standard procedure..how can there be a standard procedure for something they have never seen anything like before?

Archived