BC Boards

Four Week Old Puppy

I'll see what I can do about some new pictures...

I am going to my parents house for the weekend so Belle is going to stay with her siblings. If need be, when I get back, I'll see about taking the other two. (sigh... I must be crazy!) I want these little ones to have the best chance they can!!

She is still imitating a little pig. Last night we had a friend and her dog, a 10 month old-ish found border collie mix, stay with us and Belle spent a huge amount of time following the new dog around making friends.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy cuteness!!!! If she accidentally fell into a box being shipped to my addess, I assure you she wouldn't get shipped back :D

:rolleyes: I keep trying that same tactic with various rescue pups I see, and it hasn't happened yet, damn it.

I'm worried...

I went home to Alabama this weekend and Bella stayed with her siblings. I went to pick her up tonight and the foster mentioned that yesterday she played like crazy but today has been acting a little lethargic and didn't want to eat. She had diarrhea starting last night and she vomited on the way home tonight. She also seemed hypoglycemic, staggering around, etc. She was given some Karo syrup and Bella seemed to pick up but still not completely normal. I went and got her this evening and she seemed exhausted. Slept all the way home and slept for a couple hours here. I took her outside and she looks neurologic to me.

When she's running she's okay but when she is moving slower or standing still she looks drunk. She'll fall down on her side and have trouble getting back up. I brought her back inside and her back legs splay out constantly and she has trouble getting back up. When holding her she flips her head from side to side like she is disoriented.

I'm not sure at all what is going on. I'm not sure how to do a neuro exam on a puppy this young because I'm not sure when they develop certain correct neuro behaviors. I'm taking her to work tomorrow and I'll have my vet look at her but she's not a neurologist. Have you seen this drunk-looking behavior in a puppy before? Any thoughts?

The other puppies are acting fine. Other than acting drunk she is pretty bright and alert. She follows me around, follows toys, is pretty happy but sleepy.

I'm more concerned. She is weak and has head tremors. I wonder if it's partially from dehydration since she had diarrhea all night. We are heading to work soon. We don't have Parvo snap tests so I'm trying to arrange for her to go to the rescue's vet for testing. I'm going to start her on fluids when I get to the clinic. Poor little girl, she is just not the puppy I left on Thursday. I'm so afraid... :rolleyes::D I'm kicking myself for leaving her...

To me, it sounds like dehydration and hypoglycemia. Fingers crossed that this is just a bump in the road.

I'm more concerned. She is weak and has head tremors. I wonder if it's partially from dehydration since she had diarrhea all night. We are heading to work soon. We don't have Parvo snap tests so I'm trying to arrange for her to go to the rescue's vet for testing. I'm going to start her on fluids when I get to the clinic. Poor little girl, she is just not the puppy I left on Thursday. I'm so afraid... :rolleyes::D I'm kicking myself for leaving her...

tons of good mojo coming from her northern friends....Hang in there Belle...hopefully it's just a little bump in the road...Hugs for you too Olivia....

Update:

Just heard from the vet. She has a raging case of coccidia, is very dehydrated and her electrolytes are all out of whack. She is on some fluids and is feeling a little better, not as wobbly but still not stable. They are keeping her tonight and possibly tomorrow night, depends on how she responds to the fluids and when she starts eating and drinking again. They think she will pull through but caution that she is very weak.

All good vibes are appreciated!! Belle needs all the good luck she can get!!

Archived