BC Boards

Four Week Old Puppy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention that I had to superglue two of her back toes together! One of them was not growing right. Picture a normal toe facing you with the nail pointing towards the ground. Now rotate that toe 90 degrees clockwise. You could straighten it out and feel it pop back into normal place but as soon as she walked on it it would turn again. The orthopedic vet that works in the same building as the vet I work for took a look and said to glue it to the toe next to it. Kind of like when you break a toe and they tape it to its neighbor. That way it can grow and form correctly and hopefully not cause arthritis later in life. Belle was less than impressed with this procedure. It was less about the glue and more about the fact that she had to stay still and let me hold her toes for 10 minutes! The torture! As soon as we were done she was off and running again, none the worse for the wear.

Poor little Belle, she just keeps having issues. At least this time it's not life threatening... just not pretty. She's developed a massive case of puppy pyoderma. She's lost almost all the hair on her tail and her little front paws. The skin is scaly and thickened and ugly. She's not itchy, doesn't even notice it except to protest when we messed with it rather than letting her run amuck around the clinic. We did several skin scrapes and didn't see any mites and consulted VIN and it just looks like pyoderma. We've got her on antibiotics for 4 weeks.

I think she just had such a rough start that her immune system is just crap. Things, like a little pyoderma, that a normal puppy could shake off or just have a little rash from she has a massive reaction to. And each time she overcomes something, like the coccidia the other week, something else hits her.

By the time she is old enough to be adopted and such she's gonna be so tough after fighting through all this!!

So now she has her toes glued together, is on antibiotics, and is still running around like a lunatic.

Turk arrives tomorrow. We'll see about him. I'll take some pictures when he gets settled. I'm still just not sure about the name but if he knows it then I guess it can stay.

Let's see, how do I put this gently...............

She ain't goin' no where.

Poor little Belle, she just keeps having issues. At least this time it's not life threatening... just not pretty. She's developed a massive case of puppy pyoderma. She's lost almost all the hair on her tail and her little front paws. The skin is scaly and thickened and ugly. She's not itchy, doesn't even notice it except to protest when we messed with it rather than letting her run amuck around the clinic. We did several skin scrapes and didn't see any mites and consulted VIN and it just looks like pyoderma. We've got her on antibiotics for 4 weeks.

I think she just had such a rough start that her immune system is just crap. Things, like a little pyoderma, that a normal puppy could shake off or just have a little rash from she has a massive reaction to. And each time she overcomes something, like the coccidia the other week, something else hits her.

By the time she is old enough to be adopted and such she's gonna be so tough after fighting through all this!!

So now she has her toes glued together, is on antibiotics, and is still running around like a lunatic.

Turk arrives tomorrow. We'll see about him. I'll take some pictures when he gets settled. I'm still just not sure about the name but if he knows it then I guess it can stay.

Thanks Olivia! OK, so Belle is a fighter and she will pull through this too!

But, what do you mean - By the time she is old enough to be adopted and such she's gonna be so tough after fighting through all this!! Belle is home, you've just not been told yet :rolleyes:

The pair of you are getting a crash course on various things. When all is said and done she will be a rag doll when you want to trim her nails, won't mind being groomed, will think little dogs are gold and will take a pill like it's candy!

I think Turk is a fine name, nothing wrong with it at all. Can't wait to see the pictures and see how she responds to him!

Okay, here are some pictures of little Turk. He is bigger than Belle but still pretty darn skinny. He looks much more like a mix than Belle does.

He needs some TLC but I think he'll be a cutie when he's a little healthier. I started him on antibiotics last night.

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

You can see the green eye discharge in this picture.

IMG_0906.jpg

Okay, here are some pictures of little Turk. He is bigger than Belle but still pretty darn skinny. He looks much more like a mix than Belle does.

He needs some TLC but I think he'll be a cutie when he's a little healthier. I started him on antibiotics last night.

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

You can see the green eye discharge in this picture.

IMG_0906.jpg

Good luck with both these beautiful puppies, Olivia. My own dog came from East Tennesee BC Rescue--y'all do great work.

Yep, he does look a little puny compared to her. Give him a few days and hopefully he will turn around the way she did! Good for you for getting him - he'll thrive in no time now :rolleyes: Goodness look at the twinkle in Belle's eye now, oh you are so in for it with her!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived