BC Boards

Four Week Old Puppy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone!

I just got off the phone with the vet and she's hanging in there. She's apparently fairly angry that people are walking around her kennel but not petting her and is letting her displeasure be known... loudly! Good girl!! She is on fluids and is eating a little bit of a/d. She is able to stand a little better but still has some head tremors. The vet said her biggest fear is distemper... and that scares me. I'm calling again tomorrow to see if she can come home tomorrow or needs to stay another night.

A thing that worries me is that this is a set back that will delay her getting her first puppy booster. It scares me that if we dodged the bullet of parvo and distemper this time but have to put off the vaccine again then the time stretches on and the risk of her getting one of these diseases increases.

I just want this little one to make it and have a long and happy life so bad!!

Olivia, so glad to hear she is fighting! She's in a tough spot but if she were mine I would not give her any vacs. until she was at least 16 weeks. Keep us posted, there are some homeopathic remedies for distemper/parvo if need be! Hang in there she's fighting and that's great!

Olivia, how are the other pups in the litter? Have they been as sick as Belle? Hope she is feeling better tonight!

Liz

Update:

Just heard from the vet. She has a raging case of coccidia, is very dehydrated and her electrolytes are all out of whack. She is on some fluids and is feeling a little better, not as wobbly but still not stable. They are keeping her tonight and possibly tomorrow night, depends on how she responds to the fluids and when she starts eating and drinking again. They think she will pull through but caution that she is very weak.

All good vibes are appreciated!! Belle needs all the good luck she can get!!

I just got word that one of the other pups passed away today. Not sure what happened but her foster said that she had never been quite right, had cried all the time and never acted like a normal puppy. She ate and was growing but seemed a little mentally damaged. So we're down to two...

Sending my strongest vibes to little Belle. In your excellent care, I am confident she will pull through. It's a tough thing about the shots, but I agree with Karen about waiting until her system can handle them.

We'll have our fingers crossed for Miss Belle. She sounds like she has definetly got the will to pull through. Lots of mojo from AZ, and I am sorry to hear about her littler mate.

We have a pup in rescue who survived distemper, he looks like he has a bad case of the hiccups, but other than that he is a healthy happy boy. Hopefully if he can survive that and come out happy then Miss Belle can make it through whatever is troubling her.

I just got an update from the vet. Belle made it though the night and is doing better. She is still having massive diarrhea so they think she is going to need to stay another night to keep good and hydrated. Her head tremors have all but stopped and she is walking and running around normally.

Looks like she is on the mend!!!

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better. Thanks for keeping us posted; I keep checking back to see how wee Belle is doing.

Here's to a full recovery by tomorrow so that she can resume playing with her best buds! I bet Lilo misses her...

Well, she may need to have an addition to her name....Belle Forte! (Pretty Strong) or Belle Chasseur (fighter). In Finnish, she would be known to have "sisu" which means 'guts' but really means something like 'will not give up, indomitable spirit'

Hang in there little Belle, continuing mojo coming from the north.....

36 paws + all crossed and major Michigan mojo to you and Belle.

Belle has been blessed in finding you and may you be blessed for all you have done for her.

I'm glad she has found her forever home and a life long friend.

Sorry 'bout that! She is staying one more night as her diarrhea isn't under control yet and they want to keep her on fluids for a bit longer. I did call to check on her and could hear her in the background screaming bloody murder! They said that it was food time and she was of the opinion that she should have been fed first and most. She's back to imitating a little pig, eating everything in front of her. I'll call again in the morning and as long as she is still improving they said she should be good to come home tomorrow afternoon.

I'm going to see about bringing the last pup from the other foster here. Since there's only 2 left I might as well bring them back together as long as neither are having further health problems.

And no worries... no vaccines for the near future!!

Archived