BC Boards

kennel woes

Lexi is headed to kennel for 7 nights tonight. I am seriously dreading taking her. They offer day care which includes more walks and play time inside. I will pay. She will most likely not leave her area unless she goes for a walk.

I worry about her eating (she only eats after active play). I told the kennel this and she acted this way last summer when I left her there. I wish my neighbor would take her since Lexi Loves her but my friend's husband doesn't like her enough to keep her at her home. I don't want her alone in the house for long periods of time either. My husband does not want a dog sitter to come in and dog sit either.

So, the only solution is to take her and just PRAY that she handles it. I know it is only for a week, but I am still worried.

Just needed a place to vent about it. I know people on this site will understand how I feel. It is almost like it is not worth taking a vacation if I have to leave her behind.

Please do not respond to this post with any negative posts. I feel bad enough as it is.

My dog had to be boarded about a week last month and he did fine. His package also included all-day playtime and that helped him to be busy all day and tired at night. This is also a place where he goes about once a week for doggie day care so the workers know him well. They had my cell phone and knew they could call me if they had a concern. He ate well for them and loved the bedtime peanut butter Kong they give all the dogs whose owners give permission. When we returned, he was glad to see us and settled in back at home like he had not been away. The last time we were gone for a week, I had a dogsitter come three times a day and he was with my husband at night. By the last day he had had enough and became destructive. The day care/boarding is a much safer option for him.

Please do not respond to this post with any negative posts. I feel bad enough as it is.

Not quite sure why you felt it was necessary to say this though. I would imagine all of us have been conflicted and worried over leaving our dogs at some time.

No negativity here, but honestly, she will probably handle it better than you will. DH hates leaving Ladybug and fusses every time we go away (not that we go that much.) It's twice as bad now that we have Brodie...he wanted assurance that Brodie could watch the Western Channel every evening (he wasn't kidding!) and honestly, I think Brodie probably did miss the routine-- we feed about 5:30 and Cheyenne comes on about 6 PM and he hears the opening music and sets up a howl...wanting to be let out of his crate to sit down with DH to watch it....Robin may be spoiled in other respects, but he waits until he's let out of his crate on my schedule!

The palace where we leave the dogs only takes at most 12 dogs at a time, is cleaner than my house, the owner is a trainer/handler of Border Collies -- it's a good place and still he grumbles...so from the other side of the fence, if you have doubts about the place, find a new place that you both can agree on. If you are sure it's a good place, then try very hard to leave her with a smile on your face and enjoy your vacation. I know it's hard....I love my gang too...but every now and then, I do like to get away from home and I am sure that I'm leaving them in very capable hands.

Liz

Lexi is headed to kennel for 7 nights tonight. I am seriously dreading taking her. They offer day care which includes more walks and play time inside. I will pay. She will most likely not leave her area unless she goes for a walk.

I worry about her eating (she only eats after active play). I told the kennel this and she acted this way last summer when I left her there. I wish my neighbor would take her since Lexi Loves her but my friend's husband doesn't like her enough to keep her at her home. I don't want her alone in the house for long periods of time either. My husband does not want a dog sitter to come in and dog sit either.

So, the only solution is to take her and just PRAY that she handles it. I know it is only for a week, but I am still worried.

Just needed a place to vent about it. I know people on this site will understand how I feel. It is almost like it is not worth taking a vacation if I have to leave her behind.

You mention she "acted this way" last summer? So she's stayed there before? I can understand your worry, I would worry about mine, too. But, I'm sure she'll be just fine, and the boarding people will call you if anything comes up. Try not to let it ruin YOUR vacation, though.

I think they do way better than we think they can. It's us that has the issues.

I was arguing (well discussing) with my DH last night. He want's me to go on a dogless vacation for 2 weeks. His complaint is that we haven't been on a dog free vacation for over 7 years.

I just can't. Period. It wouldn't be vacation it would be torture for me.

I can do about a week after that I'm a nervous wreck.

But I think if I had to, a kennel would be the only place I could actually trust to keep them safe.

2 years ago I was gone a week. left one dog with my older daughter. Raven was there doing fine then half way through she decided she didn't like it and disappeared. I was a wreck and couldn't get a flight home any sooner. Raven was safe, never really left the area but refused to be caught. My daughter was as much of a wreck as I was. I don't think either of us slept till Raven finally decided she'd come back in.

That's why I think I'd have to use a kennel if I had to go again. Odds of escaping a kennel are way less compared to a friend who is trying to do their best but might not be set up as safe as a kennel would be.

That same trip I had 2 other dogs staying at a dog friend's place. She has bc's and a sheep farm. I knew the 2 wouldn't run, why run away from paradise? but I have to say, my inside dogs were outside kennel dogs for the week. THey did perfectly fine with being outside in a kennel. Friend did give them ice-cream every night and took them out to work sheep almost daily so it was more a doggy vacation for them too.

Good luck with your worry, try hard to enjoy your time and really I think she's probably in the best place you could pick.

I don't tend to travel without my dogs very often, but when I do, I'm very grateful to have found a really great "doggy spa" in my area. It costs as much as a nice hotel stay for myself, but it's worth it for the peace of mind I have that my dogs are being well cared for.

The first time I used them, I just had Luke. I asked for him to receive the top package, where he would get private play time (fetch & frisbee were his choices!) twice each day along with walks & open play time with the staff & other dogs. I don't think he spent much time in his private suite (with his own personal television). Luke loves everyone, so I didn't worry about him too terribly much. When I got him back his voice had changed! Obviously he was allowed to bark a lot...

The last time, Kaiser was part of the pack and had/got to stay there as well. Now Kaiser I worried about, because Kaiser does not like people, definitely does not like people touching him, and doesn't eat on any sort of a schedule. By all reports, he adapted exceptionally well to the routine at the spa. They told me that they had no problems getting his leash on to move him from spot to spot and that the little bugger actually ate his meals when they were set down. Now who knows, they could have lied to me, but the little bugger came back no worse for wear and survived the ordeal just fine.

I always make sure that they have my contact information and that they know they are to call me if the slightest little thing crops up -- This would be especially true now that Luke has Addison's disease and needs to be closely monitored in times of stress. The other bonus of the doggy spa is that there is a vet clinic right next door that is affiliated with my vet clinic, so they would be able to consult with my regular vet in an emergency.

Try to relax and enjoy your vacation!

Your dog will be fine. I worked in a place that sounds similar to where you're taking her. Most dogs handled it in stride. And time permitting, I (and most of my coworkers) would try to sneak some extra attention to the dogs if they seemed like they needed it, or we just particularly liked that dog. We always walked around with pockets of biscuits for dogs that seemed like they needed a little pick me up, too.

Most places will let you bring a couple toys from home so she has something familiar. The one I was at didn't allow kongs (we gave kongs and didn't want them getting mixed in with the dog's personal kong) or rawhides (safety issue).

But I'm sure your dog will be totally fine. And, if a dog wasn't eating right, we'd give them some gravy, parmesan cheese, or a couple spoon fulls of canned food to entice them to eat. One of those pretty much always worked.

I've left Mick with his herding trainer before, and he had a good time. He got to work sheep everyday. It was like dog camp for him.

I left my 2 @ the kennels with the information our female isn't exactly socialized so I didn't know how "other dog friendly" she would be. (as she's a rescue & can be a bit much at times) low & be hold my "good" male dog was the one who was a brat & gave the staff grief as he put on a big pouting/temper tantrum display, and she was favourable with the other pooches & staff.

I'm sure you're dog will be fine - if it still worries you terribly though could you not seek out a different kennel? One that would cater more to her active dog needs?

Good luck on your trip and have fun. I was lucky this last time I had to travel and had my friend who also does doggy day-care/dog watching keep him for the trip. She called me or visa versa daily with updates and posted a ton of pixs on facebook. It was nice to see him have such a good time.

I am sure the daycare center won't mind terrible if you call for updates on your dogs.

I dog sit my student's dogs when they go on vacations. By the time they get back and get ready to load up the car, their dogs runs back to the house or barn and looks at they like to say "Great seeing ya!! Come back again"

The look on their owners is priceless. The dogs get two play times plus working sheep everyday and house time. One dog, Emma saw her person, wagged her tail and ran to the gate to be let in to work sheep, She called her again, she ran up to her person, licked her hand then ran back to the gate. We got a good laugh at it. we worked her and as she went to leave, Emma bolted up to the house, leaving Kathleen standing in the driveway, the van door open and the crate ready for Emma. She called Emma and Emma came down, looked at the crate as if to say "YOU've got be be kidding"...we laugh about it and she never wonders if her dogs misses her.

If they are busy and have a good time and feel comfortable, they won't miss you.

• 3 weeks later...
The palace where we leave the dogs only takes at most 12 dogs at a time, is cleaner than my house, the owner is a trainer/handler of Border Collies -- it's a good place and still he grumbles...so from the other side of the fence, if you have doubts about the place, find a new place that you both can agree on. If you are sure it's a good place, then try very hard to leave her with a smile on your face and enjoy your vacation. I know it's hard....I love my gang too...but every now and then, I do like to get away from home and I am sure that I'm leaving them in very capable hands.

Liz

Liz, I'm in York County, is this boarding place anywhere near me, it sounds great ? I left my 3 yr old Finn in a doggie camp for a week last month, while we went to Maine.It was fine,but I really like the sound of your place, 12 dogs, BC people :rolleyes:

Prior to my Maine trip the last boarding was in 1997, my last BC, we went to New Orleans for 5 days.Both trips were forced by husband, I did not want to go.We're fortunate to have family in a number of places including the beach, so where we go, our animals go, but it's nice to have a good place just in case.

Thanx :D

Hi -- I'm probably three hours north of you...

Liz

Liz, I'm in York County, is this boarding place anywhere near me, it sounds great ? I left my 3 yr old Finn in a doggie camp for a week last month, while we went to Maine.It was fine,but I really like the sound of your place, 12 dogs, BC people :rolleyes:

Prior to my Maine trip the last boarding was in 1997, my last BC, we went to New Orleans for 5 days.Both trips were forced by husband, I did not want to go.We're fortunate to have family in a number of places including the beach, so where we go, our animals go, but it's nice to have a good place just in case.

Kat: this "pet resort and spa" isn't in York County, but it's in northern Maryland - may not be that far from you, depending on where exactly you are. I haven't used it myself but I know several people who do and who say their dogs have a great time. For sure, though, there are more than 12 dogs.

Came back last week from vacation with Lexi in kennel. 2nd day kennel called and said she was vomiting and had diarrhea. Of course they wanted to run a test for parasites. I let them knowing full well she had made herself sick from anxiety/stress. Test was negative and they gave her med for diarrhea. Third day I called kennel because the area was having a major thunderstorm with power out at many places! Of course that put Lexi further into anxiety mode. When I called I spoke with a girl there who said Lexi was hiding under her desk and that Lexi reminded her of her own dog. I felt relieved that she was taking her out of the kennel area and had her with her. During the rest of the week, I called every other day and checked up. They said she was slowly improving but still was not an active participant in day care. At an additional $17.00 a day, that made me a little nuts.

But for peace of mind I signed her up in hopes that she would eventually engage with the staff. She did not eat well there either which I expected. She lost 2 pounds!

A couple of days after I brought her home, I noticed she was sneezing alot and doing so sort of reverse sneezing. Back to the vet! Even though she has had all vacs incl bordetella and canine flu, she picked up some respitatory ailment which cleared up with Claremox.

I have to take her back this coming Thursday for 1 night only (thank God) to take daughter to college. Since its one night, I am hoping things will be ok.

Next time I leave her for 8 nights, I plan on taking her several times in advance for 1 day doggie day care to get her used to it. In hindsight, it wasn't fair to pluck her there for so long without having been there in a year. Live and learn I guess.

aww Sorry for her bad experience.

Don't know for sure if its feasible. But When talking to your friends. Did you offer a fee to cover watching her? Don't know how much you paid for doggiedaycare but I assuming its cost about $500 if not more. Could you offer something similar to your friends? Her husband might be more willing if they get paid.

Also not sure your situation. But I think it might help if you take your dogs to different places. My dogs are use to relaxing in/going to and spending days in different spots such as camping in a tent, hotels, friends houses, competitions sites, cars, etc... I also will have "other" people watch my dogs at their house weither its their "grandma" or just another friends house. I think its just helps their psyche(wd?) having to deal with weird places with pack and without but with friends for a couple days.

Good luck on your next trip!

Came back last week from vacation with Lexi in kennel. 2nd day kennel called and said she was vomiting and had diarrhea. Of course they wanted to run a test for parasites. I let them knowing full well she had made herself sick from anxiety/stress. Test was negative and they gave her med for diarrhea. Third day I called kennel because the area was having a major thunderstorm with power out at many places! Of course that put Lexi further into anxiety mode. When I called I spoke with a girl there who said Lexi was hiding under her desk and that Lexi reminded her of her own dog. I felt relieved that she was taking her out of the kennel area and had her with her. During the rest of the week, I called every other day and checked up. They said she was slowly improving but still was not an active participant in day care. At an additional $17.00 a day, that made me a little nuts.

But for peace of mind I signed her up in hopes that she would eventually engage with the staff. She did not eat well there either which I expected. She lost 2 pounds!

A couple of days after I brought her home, I noticed she was sneezing alot and doing so sort of reverse sneezing. Back to the vet! Even though she has had all vacs incl bordetella and canine flu, she picked up some respitatory ailment which cleared up with Claremox.

I have to take her back this coming Thursday for 1 night only (thank God) to take daughter to college. Since its one night, I am hoping things will be ok.

Next time I leave her for 8 nights, I plan on taking her several times in advance for 1 day doggie day care to get her used to it. In hindsight, it wasn't fair to pluck her there for so long without having been there in a year. Live and learn I guess.

I'm so sorry it didn't go well for her :rolleyes: This time it should help her to see you return after just one night. I usually don't go anywhere my animals can't go, but there have been rare occaisions, and as much as I hate to do it, I will always choose a kennel.I want my dog under lock and key, and behind fences and gates, if I am not there.I used to work for a vet, and learned how animals in a scary/strange situation will use all their wiles and quickness to try and escape.Fortunately we never had an escape, but every day was a battle of wits as animals tried plotting their freedom.It's not that I don't trust my friends or family, it's just that mistakes happen to everyone, so I would rather mitigate than have to try & forgive. And when their parent is gone, & they are in a strange place, they are going to try to leave to find you. So no matter how bad you feel while she is there, just remember that she is safe and will be there when you come to get her.

Since you know she'll make herself ill, you might want to look into antianxiety meds before the next trip. My girl does the same thing and when she's boarded for more than 3 nights she is on a custom herbal mix for anxiety and a supplement for digestive support. We also have back up meds (metronidazole and one or two others) that are to be given at the first sign of loose stools. So far she's been muuuuch better when boarded. :rolleyes:

does the kennel you went too offer doggy daycare in general? I work in a kennel/daycare and its often a HUGE help when the owners bring their dogs to daycare outside of overnights when their dogs are upset like that. I dont know how you kennel works though..we mix everybody (daycare and overnight) so the routines are the same.

Since you know she'll make herself ill, you might want to look into antianxiety meds before the next trip. My girl does the same thing and when she's boarded for more than 3 nights she is on a custom herbal mix for anxiety and a supplement for digestive support. We also have back up meds (metronidazole and one or two others) that are to be given at the first sign of loose stools. So far she's been muuuuch better when boarded. :rolleyes:

this strikes me as a great idea. Where did you get the meds and herbal mix? I know the vet has meds but not sure about the herbal mix. I do know that if I need the kennel to administer any meds or anything differant with food, they charge. They charged $1.00 for each pill at 2 pills a day.

My neighbor saw Lexi yesterday and Lexi didn't bark at him and actually wanted him to pet her. That was a shocking surprise. They have been watching several dogs this summer for other neighbors in their home. I will try and get them to do a one night when I need to go down to visit my daughter at college. Hopefully a short first visit will work well.

I just have to get past my husband who does not like "imposing" on people with Lexi.

this is definitly a work in progress and I sincerely appreciate all the comments and suggestions on this board.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Like I said, the herbal mix was custom for my dog, so I can't be of any help there. We've had some luck with Rescue Remedy (available at most human health food stores) and a HomeoPet Anxiety formula (available online). I got the other meds from my vet directly - they gave me instructions for the kennel at the same time (i.e. when to start and at what dose).

The intestinal powder is a custom blend from my vet as well, but I do know that it contained probiotics. You can find probiotics at a health food store as well.

I can't believe your kennel charges per med per dose per day! All of my kennels don't even charge at all!

Archived