BC Boards

If your interested about Jin's progress.

I occasionally get email asking about Jin, who is now 1 1/2. Officially he is a service dog in training (SDiT) registered with the state of Calif. We just came back from a small gathering of service dogs and their owner/handlers in Donner Pass, Ca at 7,000 ft in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. A great time was had by all canoing, hiking, swimming with the dogs with Jin making two new service dog friends; Indio a 3 yr old Golden Retriever and Zeus a 5yr old Mastiff. Jin's training was evaluated and I was told he's coming along well and that he just needed more time. He barked at things and people occasionally while we were in the camp and he was on the tie out line. On and off lead he was well behaved in public at restaurants, the market. stores, and the motels we stayed at going up and back making friends easily. I did slip in a puddle of water while on the trip. Hurt worse than climbing rock but Jin was there to provide me with a stable platform so I could get up and some mobility assistance to get back to the car although that is his secondary function as an SD. His only problem was he wanted to stare down a chipmunk that was a constant visitor to our camp. Taught Jin to ride in a canoe. That was fun, first had to teach him to jump into a floating boat. Beached it's easy, not so when floating next to the shore where he has to jump a bit. Very fortuitous that I taught him to "jump jump" over things on command. It made teaching him to get in a lot easier. Even better that he trusts me enough to jump into a floating boat. One problem though. In the car Jin rides in the back seat all the time. No room for a crate when loaded with camping gear. Throughout the entire trip he sat in the back seat rather than lying down. He was so tired he would fall asleep sitting there. Somehow I have to teach him to lie down in the back seat especially on a long trip. My vet suggested giving him a Benadryl next time we do a long trip. Not too happy about that thought.

Clickable thumbs.

Jin and I at Donner Lake camp not far from where the Donner-Reed (not Donna Reed) Party sort of survived the winter of 1846-7

th_P1020347.jpg th_P1020343.jpg th_P1020322.jpg

Slide Show Titles give an idea where we were.

th_Jin.jpg

Glad to hear you and Jin are doing so well. Don't stay away so long next time!

There is a reason I haven't been here. The thing is I make mistakes and instead of allowing for them I get sanctioned, my posts moderated. I don't think that's fair for an innocent mistake. I am disabled, physically and mentally. It makes my life hell, unable think clearly and to always make the right decision and for that reason people get angry at me. It's not my fault. My disability affects how I think and act sometimes. I can live without that kind of pressure. I belong to a service dog forum that teaches acceptance and tolerance for others which is something I need to function. That is something I don't find here from the mods and a few others despite the friends I've made at ABC. I didn't ask to be disabled. It was not my choice to have my life turned upside down and totally F'd up. I don't understand it and have a hell of a time accepting it. Even worse I have major problems in adapting to certain situations.

I love BCs. I came here to have some fun to get a handle on my disability through my dogs. However (pointing fingers) Eileen some others don't seem to think I should do that. So I get sanctioned over the weird and different postings I make like the one that ran away about local government and pot shops. I get what I think are excuses, "It uses too much bandwidth." Pictures take more bandwidth than my few paragraphs of text. I'm told people don't want to read that kind of stuff. If they don't want to read it why are the threads so long? I have been directly told that some of my topics change the focus of the forum. That's ridiculous. Nothing I write here will ever change the focus of the forum.

I have learned something over the years having owned my own forums and being mod on others. Once established a forum ceases to be owned by the people who pay the bills, in this case Eileen. It belongs of the members who shape and create it because without those members, good, bad or indifferent there is no forum at all.

I like it here. I've made a few contributions as well. It can be a fun place to play except when the "grown ups" come out, and I can no longer play with those who have grown up too much.

Together we, Ranger and Jin.

There is a reason I haven't been here. The thing is I make mistakes and instead of allowing for them I get sanctioned, my posts moderated. I don't think that's fair for an innocent mistake. I am disabled, physically and mentally. It makes my life hell, unable think clearly and to always make the right decision and for that reason people get angry at me. It's not my fault. My disability affects how I think and act sometimes. I can live without that kind of pressure. I belong to a service dog forum that teaches acceptance and tolerance for others which is something I need to function. That is something I don't find here from the mods and a few others despite the friends I've made at ABC. I didn't ask to be disabled. It was not my choice to have my life turned upside down and totally F'd up. I don't understand it and have a hell of a time accepting it. Even worse I have major problems in adapting to certain situations.

I love BCs. I came here to have some fun to get a handle on my disability through my dogs. However (pointing fingers) Eileen some others don't seem to think I should do that.

I am sorry you have a disability, but that does not actually give you license to say anything you want. It's likely exactly for rants like this that you got moderated in the first place.

Ya know we all get into trouble sometimes but given a few days or weeks things pass. Lessons learned. I for one have certainly forgotton about your pot post. Now that you mention it I vaguely recollect it.

I'm sorry to that you have a disability but I don't think it's a disability of what you write. If you write something inappropriate then you will be sanctioned accordingly but like school, it's not that you are banished from class.

Come back, post what you will and if it's found to be inappropriate then move on to the next subject.

Don't let your disability ruin or run your life. Get on with it!

Glad you are enjoying Jin.

All to often a disability runs you and you have little if any control over it. That's what's happening today. Not an excuse it's a fact of life. That's where Jin comes in. He keeps me straight. Helps me to to keep track of where and when I am and to escape to a place of safety when in trouble. reminds me to take meds and other things. He's quick learner but still typical of a BC in his field work. Sort of an agility course made up of natural objects he can jump, crawl and run under, over around and through. Right now Jin is my link to what was a normal life. Without him it would be impossible.

Good to hear you and Jin are doing well. And sorry to hear of your disability. When were you up at Donner Pass? I was near there the weekend before last, the 9th through the 11th camping. I live in the Sierras.

I love BCs. I came here to have some fun to get a handle on my disability through my dogs. However (pointing fingers) Eileen some others don't seem to think I should do that. So I get sanctioned over the weird and different postings I make like the one that ran away about local government and pot shops. I get what I think are excuses, "It uses too much bandwidth." Pictures take more bandwidth than my few paragraphs of text. I'm told people don't want to read that kind of stuff. If they don't want to read it why are the threads so long? I have been directly told that some of my topics change the focus of the forum. That's ridiculous. Nothing I write here will ever change the focus of the forum.

I have learned something over the years having owned my own forums and being mod on others. Once established a forum ceases to be owned by the people who pay the bills, in this case Eileen. It belongs of the members who shape and create it because without those members, good, bad or indifferent there is no forum at all.

I like it here. I've made a few contributions as well. It can be a fun place to play except when the "grown ups" come out, and I can no longer play with those who have grown up too much.

First, welcome back!

Next, as a person who also has a disability - one that can affect my judgment and rationality at times, I sympathize with your situation.

But - try to take things with a grain of salt. When I go off the rails, people - usually my friends - have to come and sort me out. Sometimes it's a helpless feeling, sometimes it's embarrassing and sometimes I get cranky about it.

But I think Eileen does a great job here as moderator. She seems even-handed and I understand some calls are hard to make. Try not to take it personally. I started a blog not long ago because I realized that on several occasions I wanted to share things with my Border Collie Boards "family" that really weren't appropriate for this space. I can rant, post my dubious poetry and my strange art. Works for me!

Keep on keeping on, and keep us posted on your work with Jin!

I totally sympathize with your situation as a person with a disability who is training their own psychiatric service dog as well. I haven't seen any of the posts in question that were moderated. However, I know when my disability is affecting me, I say inappropriate things that I would never have said if I was thinking clearly. I'm trying to learn how to cope and recognize this before it happens, but when it gets away... it really gets away. I would totally understand (after I have calmed down) if my posts needed to be moderated. I'm training Link to alert me when I start to get like that, so I can leave the situation and have him ground me before things get out of hand.

Ranger which SD board do you go to? (You can PM me) It's nice to have somewhere you can vent to people that understand what you are going through.

We're wishing you the best of luck with your SD training!

Good to hear you and Jin are doing well. And sorry to hear of your disability. When were you up at Donner Pass? I was near there the weekend before last, the 9th through the 11th camping. I live in the Sierras.

Where's that? I know the Sierras very well, both sides. We were there from the 12-15 July. Had I known you lived close to there we could have arranged a meet up.

I totally sympathize with your situation as a person with a disability who is training their own psychiatric service dog as well. I haven't seen any of the posts in question that were moderated. However, I know when my disability is affecting me, I say inappropriate things that I would never have said if I was thinking clearly. I'm trying to learn how to cope and recognize this before it happens, but when it gets away... it really gets away. I would totally understand (after I have calmed down) if my posts needed to be moderated. I'm training Link to alert me when I start to get like that, so I can leave the situation and have him ground me before things get out of hand.

Ranger which SD board do you go to? (You can PM me) It's nice to have somewhere you can vent to people that understand what you are going through.

We're wishing you the best of luck with your SD training!

Most of you can skip this next para and go to the one on Jin himself

Hi Comet,

Jin's A PSD first and a mobility assist dog second. He helps me in public which can be very difficult for me. That's a riot when you consider I was a fairly prominent public figure. Can't do it anymore too stressful. As for what SD boards I belong to there is only one, Service-Dog Forums. SD Central doesn't care for my training methods, opinions and politics so I was asked to leave. I left Dogster for the same reason I ask everyone to boycott Dogster. They have no ethics or qualms about invading your account, reading private mail, editing and deleting messages and worst of all violating the civil rights of individuals especially the disabled. After speaking on the phone with the CEO (Dogster is a public corp) I found they really don't give a damn about anyone. They only want a happy, happy, joy, joy world so they "protect" their users from undesirable elements like myself and a few others while raking in the cash. Strictly profit drive. Nothing wrong with that until you step over the line which they did. If you search or mention Jin, Abby or Ando your message will be deleted and you can get kenneled. How's that for small mindedness. There is currently a group of people planning to file a class actio0n lawsuit agains dogster. FYI I do not belong to that group. I do belong to Facebook and a few forums there: "Please Don't Pet me" and "Owner Trained Service Dogs", Return Jin to Dogster, and "You look healthy for a disabled person." " You look clever for an idiot" I also belong to an invitation only PSD support group. If you and Geonnie might be interested in that group let me know and PM me a paragraph on yourself that I can submit to the admins.

Staying on the subject of Jin.

He was neutered in June. I waited until he was full grown and all the growth plates had closed since he needs to be physically mature to perform as an SD. Those were expensive x-rays. On a trip to Los Angeles we found an agility club at a park were we playing our games of 4-ball, jump-jump and others. Mostly they Aussies and BC with a few Jack Russels. When I turned around to pay attention to them they were watching us. Several commented on his training yet they wouldn't let me try him on any of their equipment, liability. They asked about the sheepdog whistle and how I got him to do what I wanted when he was across the field (few hundred feet out) and how I trained him to directional control without having to be next to him. You do it the same way you do it with sheep. I was a bit puzzled until I realized none of these people had ever worked with sheep or at a distance. BTW One of the reasons I got into trouble with the SD boards is because of my attitude on Distance Work for SDs which they don't think is necessary. You can read it here if you like.

My rough collie mix Abby is 9yrs now and has joint problems so she no longer carries a pack and is treated like a princess since I retired her from trail work. Because she is a mix I think she has a genetic problem. She seems to be aging faster than other dogs I've had. Sweet Abby. We spoil her.

OK Nuff for now. Time to go out.

I wouldn't stay away if I were you and I wouldn't worry about Eileen's moderating. It happens. I don't remember reading those posts in question, but I'll chime in...local government=corrupt (hey, I'm in NJ) and pot shops=awesome. Anyway, back on track...

I've been on various messageboards, and managed to rack up an absolutely absurd # of posts on a large political board, and I was banned from there. Twice. But the thing is, it's just a messageboard. I could be a complete dick over there (surprise I know, because I never come off that way here...lol) when it came to some niche topics...hell, I often fought with a board member from here over there (we get along just fine here). And I admin a small GLBT board. Sometimes I have to make moderating decisions. They're rare given the group of people, but sometimes it happens. Nothing personal.

So in any case, I guess I'm just saying don't take it personal and post more.

I guess I need to address this briefly.

I have been away from home for the last ten days, and have not had Internet access for the last week. I placed desertranger on moderation some time ago as a result of posts it would serve no purpose to discuss here. That means that I must review his posts and approve them before they appear on the Boards. He has made it clear to me via PMs that he considers this to be handicap discrimination, and I have made it clear to him that this moderating decision is not an appropriate subject for discussion on the Boards. I have seen other forums go seriously downhill when the airing of grievances about moderation decisions takes too many discussions off topic.

Because I knew I would not be able to moderate posts this past week, I took desert ranger off moderation so his posts would not have to wait for my approval. It now appears to me that this was a mistake on my part, and I have returned him to moderation status. If his disability makes him unable to judge the appropriateness of his posting, I guess I will just have to help him out.

If anyone has any comments on this issue, please convey them to me privately. Please do not post them to the Boards. Thanks.

Archived