BC Boards

Rowen -thunderphobic update

I posted recently about Rowen and figured I'd give an update. He's been on clomipramine for a little over a week now and I can already see a slight improvement. He doesn't pace the house like he used to even when not raining. We haven't had rain until today. It's storming right now I mean STORMING... I gave him a Xanax a little before the storm (probably not quite soon enough, but I wasn't home to give it sooner... our a/c went out last night and it is H.O.T.! But, alas, now I'm sitting in the heat with my 3.5 month old babe sleeping on me and the dogs at my feet. :rolleyes: ) He's found his kennel in the hall on his own and is lying quietly in there. For the big booms he still comes out and comes to me, but the whining and excessive panting/pacing is less.

Please hope things continue to improve for us and that he doesn't have any poopy blowouts tomorrow from this.

ETA: the worst of the weather has passed and he panted for all of 5 seconds then calmed and NEVER whined. Amazing!

Good to hear. Don't know if I posted this in your other thread, but these have been known to work wonders as well.

http://www.thundershirt.com/

not sure if you did or not, but someone did. we may look in to getting one. we'll see how this keeps working and reevaluate in a week or so. we're supposed to have tstorms all next week so we'll see how it goes.

not sure if you did or not, but someone did. we may look in to getting one. we'll see how this keeps working and reevaluate in a week or so. we're supposed to have tstorms all next week so we'll see how it goes.

That is so great that things are going better with your dog! So glad to hear it. FWIW, I actually ended up writing my old veterinary behaviorist about Vala last week (Dr. Lore Haug out of Houston) and she advised me that once you get the dog to this calmer way of dealing with storms, Dr. Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol can help if you do it in the spot where the dog goes to ride out the storms. Also, she recommended the whole slow desensitization to storm audio with a storm CD thing too. And a thundershirt. I've started the Relaxation Protocol with Vala, haven't purchased a storm CD or thundershirt yet. I'd prefer not to give Vala xanax forever, so I'm looking to help her stay calmer eventually without meds.

That is so great that things are going better with your dog! So glad to hear it. FWIW, I actually ended up writing my old veterinary behaviorist about Vala last week (Dr. Lore Haug out of Houston) and she advised me that once you get the dog to this calmer way of dealing with storms, Dr. Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol can help if you do it in the spot where the dog goes to ride out the storms. Also, she recommended the whole slow desensitization to storm audio with a storm CD thing too. And a thundershirt. I've started the Relaxation Protocol with Vala, haven't purchased a storm CD or thundershirt yet. I'd prefer not to give Vala xanax forever, so I'm looking to help her stay calmer eventually without meds.

I don't really have the time nor energy to really work with him at the moment with having my human baby. :rolleyes: So I really hope the drugs continue to do well until I can devote more time to him again. We may be facing a move soon too so it may be better to wait and establish a safe place/routine once we do.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement!

Archived