BC Boards

How Hot is too Hot

Hi,

I live in South Louisiana where the average heat index during the summer is 100 - 112F

My dog lives in the back yard and has a room built under our house which is on piers off of the ground. The walls have plenty of room between the boards to allow air to flow and the bottom has been floored.

I'm still worried about the heat. How much can a boarder collie tolerate?

Thanks

Hi,

I live in South Louisiana where the average heat index during the summer is 100 - 112F

My dog lives in the back yard and has a room built under our house which is on piers off of the ground. The walls have plenty of room between the boards to allow air to flow and the bottom has been floored.

Thanks

In north Texas, we've had similar heat. Right now my dogs are only going out first in the morning for an hour or so, then occaisionally for short time periods throughout the day to potty and spend energy for a few minutes (but not long). There has already been twice when I've felt alarmed by how hot Star seemed to get. My hound will jump in her pool. then go lay in the shade, but my border collie just keeps running around in the sun. The hound could stand to stay out longer, but she knows to take it easy and she is short haired. The border collie would probably give herself heat stroke. Long winded way of saying it may depend some on the nature of the dog and if they have the self-preservation to take it easy. I do know that lots of dogs in north Texas are outdoor only dogs. My little house queens are a different story....There are several threads in the general discussion section about overheating, which you might want to read so you know what to look for. Also, just a thought, but you might actually take the temp in the room. I know our horses can be worse off in their stalls when it's humid as limited air flow inside anything tends to raise the temp. We blast big cooling fans in the barn and each stall has its own fan. So, maybe working on improving airflow where the dogs are would help.

Hi,

Thanks

I'm not going to get very scientific with this as it would appear that work is not involved with your concern. Dogs tend to acclimate well to the climate in which they live and will be quite comfortable as long as they are not working or being exercised heavily during these types of temperatures. Provide lots of cool water and lots of air movement and I'm sure he will be fine. The humidity is probably more worriesome than the temperature so air movement is very important. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a small child's pool available for him to dip into every now and then during these extreme temperatures. Bob

That seems like a good idea to have a little doggie pool in the shade for him. We live in Austin and its hot hot hot all the time. We keep Troy in side mostly but he has a long walk in the morning a few short ones throughout the day and long one at night. He gets really hot no matter how long were outside. Just keep cold water - throw some ice cubes in there during the hotter parts of the day and if you have a sprinkler he can chase around too or a nice bath

I joined BC boards just recently.

I got a rescue BC a few months ago- we are having a blast!

This is my 1st BC, I had a Siberian Husky for 15 years before.

I live in the NW, which isn't the hottest part of the world, but I take Isabel with me on long treks in the mountains. She has acclimated to this well. Loves the snow.

Now that it is summer, I wonder about how she will be. This is my 1st black coated dog & her coat feels warm to the touch when it's sunny even on cool days.

My husky's coat insulated against heat as well as cold & didn't get overheated easily.

Do black dogs overheat more easily/quickly?

Isabel doesn't like water, won't get in, or swim.

I always carry water for her, & watch for signs such as red gums, excessive panting, curled tongue, etc.

She does seek out shade frequently. (smart)

Archived