BC Boards

Bald spot on cheek...ideas?

arf2184

About 3 weeks ago, a bald spot showed up on the left side of Meg's face (no other symptoms). Its a little bigger than a quarter. It's dry and I haven't seen her scratching or rubbing at it at all and its not painful and doesn't seem to bother her. Initially it was flaky and a bit red.

The vet did a scraping to check for mange mites...fortunately there were none. The vet said hot spots sometimes occur in that area secondary to an ear infection...but her ears look perfect and the vet said it didn't really look like a hot spot. The vet did a culture to check for ringworm and while we were waiting for results, we treated her topically for ringworm as that seemed the likely culprit. The culture came back negative and there was no significant change in the bald spot. Its not red at all anymore and not as flaky. Its still the same size as it was when I first noticed it.

It's not getting any worse and doesn't seem to be bothering her and doesn't appear to be contagious, so I'm not too concerned. I was just wondering if anyone has any new ideas for us. At this point, I think I'm just going to keep an eye on her and see if it goes away. However, if we do go back to the vet for further testing, I'd like to have an idea of what else it could be.

Meg is 2 years old and has only been here 3 months. She's been on a raw diet for about 10 or 11 weeks and I haven't given her any new types of food to try for about 7 weeks, so I don't think its a food allergy. She had a Frontline treatment about 5 weeks ago (two weeks before the bald spot appeared).

So far my Internet searches have come up with zinc deficiency, but it doesn't seem likely. She has no other symptoms and is on a balanced diet with plenty of meat.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

or is there something she is doing that is rubbing the hair off or keeping it off? Dew likes to crawl under the bed. I see so much hair where she has to really scoot. Watch what she's doing and see if you can find something that she's rubbing on but that isn't causing her any pain so she might keep doing it.

No rubbing...I've been watching. :D

It's possible she scraped it. I'd like for it to be just a scrape that will heal and return to normal, but it doesn't look like a scrape (no broken skin or scratch marks at all...just bald and a bit flaky). You'd think the fur would start to grow back at least a little after three weeks if it was just a scrape, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

So far my Internet searches have come up with zinc deficiency, but it doesn't seem likely. She has no other symptoms and is on a balanced diet with plenty of meat.

A lady I work with has a husky who has a zinc deficiency. It took them forever to figure it out because he had no other symptoms etc., etc,. It's worth checking out.

Archived