BC Boards

Long(ish) car trip. Any tips?

Friday morning we're driving from Phoenix, AZ to a cabin just north east of Santa Fe, NM. It's going to be around a nine hour +- trip and by far the longest Cerb has ever taken.

Cerb is usually a good rider with a some anxiety and car sickness (sometimes), but otherwise no problem. The road we're taking is the "scenic route", which will entail some switch backs, so I'm worried about pushing him beyond his comfort threshold.

Any tips for making the ride uneventful? We plan on stopping four or five times for leg stretching and poop breaks but otherwise, we're going to put our heads down and go.

Edit: I see I put this in the wrong forum. d'OH!

Friday morning we're driving from Phoenix, AZ to a cabin just north east of Santa Fe, NM. It's going to be around a nine hour +- trip and by far the longest Cerb has ever taken.

Cerb is usually a good rider with a some anxiety and car sickness (sometimes), but otherwise no problem. The road we're taking is the "scenic route", which will entail some switch backs, so I'm worried about pushing him beyond his comfort threshold.

Any tips for making the ride uneventful? We plan on stopping four or five times for leg stretching and poop breaks but otherwise, we're going to put our heads down and go.

Welcome to New Mexico :rolleyes:

Mine either ride in the crate or shotgun!

But them they are very used to "Roadtrips"

Again, have fun in New Mexico :D

Welcome to New Mexico :rolleyes:

Mine either ride in the crate or shotgun!

But them they are very used to "Roadtrips"

Again, have fun in New Mexico :D

We'll be packed to the gills in a mini SUV so we won't have room to set up the crate. It's coming but it'll be in the rocket box on top. Cerb likes riding shotgun best by far....but I'm sure DW won't want to give up the front seat.

I drove from Wisconsin to Tennessee last year for NADAC Championships and was surprised at how well my boys traveled (Secret wasn't around yet). I didn't stop more often than necessary, usually just for gas and/or when I needed a rest stop for myself. They stayed very quiet, except for when we neared our hotel stop the first day and then our destination the second day. They always seem to know when it's time to get out of the car.

The longest stop I made on the way down was at Pizza Hut -- It worked out great, I walked the dogs while they made my pizza and then we sat outside in the grass to eat. It was a nice break after a good six hours or so on the road.

I had a 2 1/2 gallon bucket wedged amongst all the crap in the back and I put ice in it each morning. They could chomp ice in the morning or drink out of it as it melted. It seems my dogs get most restless when they are thirsty, so having that available for them seemed to keep them quite happy. I also stored my drinks in the ice bucket, which was a sweat deal for me to have something cool going down the road. :rolleyes:

We do the Florida to New Mexico trip twice a year - this last time with three dogs. Our SUV is packed also- but I make sure the each door has extra leashes, the dogs wear a harness for a quick clip, we travel with water in a jug- every stop they get some. Poop bags are in each seat back for quick grabbing. We pack these things called cheese bones - the white bones that are hollow in the center - we melt cheese in them and put in frig to get hard - they take a lot of concentration and time to consume. I pack a small pillow - Duchess likes to ride shotgun. With the small pillow I can spread her weight between by lap, the pillow and the arm rest. One final thought - Cody - our big boy - does not get car sick - EXCEPT IN THE MOUNTAIN SWITCHBACKS. No matter how slow you drive them he really does not like them. I have heard that benedryal helps- I haven't tried this. I have him on a sheet, with papertowels and a plastic bag around for quick cleanup. It is usually only once, helps to be ready. Have a great time in NM.

Two summers ago we did 18 hours with 3 adults and Daisy in a Toyota Yaris. I know. Crazy. :rolleyes:

Daisy rides well in a car, but I was not sure how she'd do for that long. She was just fine. I don't think she was thrilled about driving through Saskatchewan, nothing to look at you know, but her and I just curled up in the back seat and hung out the whole way.

I would highly recommend making sure you have either your own water or bottled water... I don't really trust using gas station tap water for myself, so I wouldn't give it to the dog either. Paper towels are a must and maybe an extra towel or two. It will be handy if you hit rain. Oh and an extra leash or two.

This summer we're doing the drive again, this time with 1.5 dogs (one is a cocker-pug) and 4 adults. Good thing we're driving in a Jeep Liberty this time!

If there's any way you can get the crate fit in, he is a lot safer riding in a secured crate then loose in the car.

That said, just keep him in mind and take lots of leg stretch breaks and offer a small amount of water regularly and he will likely do just fine. Bring water from home and a bowl for him, offer a snack at mealtime so he doesn't have to ride with a full stomach if hes prone to carsickness. Be sure he has a tag with a contact number where you can actually be reached, and be careful, ensuring his lead is on and a human has a hold on it before opening a car door to make sure he doesn't get spooked and bolt out of the car.

My dogs have grown up traveling. I now do the Western side of CO to St. Louis MO often, 17 hours.

Personally I can't drive more than 8 or 10 hours anymore. Neither can the dogs. By the 9th hour we are all getting antsy so that's when we stop.

I usually stop only when I have to, that includes 2 rest stops where I can let the dogs run a bit. I feel pretty safe having them with me. I try and pick motels that have a grassy area where they can run a bit too. they don't get out at gas stations and I don't usually stop for more than fast food, usually I pack my lunch so it's only dinner and that's after we get the room.

I do nothing speical and they are all great. I sometimes wish they'd stay awake more to keep me company. Dew is my little play bug so she has her shotgun turn and plays (by herself) with some sort of toy. I will remember the cheese bones, that would help them pass the time.

I find that if you make a big deal of anything so will they but if you treat it like normal everyday stuff they do too!

Have fun in NM

My only thought for people traveling with critters is to bring enough water from home for two or three days. Different water can give some dogs the collywobbles. Collywobbles in a tightly packed car is (are?) NO FUN. I give 'em home water on the trip and transition them to the new stuff by mixing it with the brought-from-home stuff.

Otherwise I'd say, as someone else already has, don't make a big deal out of it and they probably won't either.

Ginger snaps can help motion sickness. If you want to try benedryl, try it tomorrow to see how he reacts. A very small percentage of dogs, (and people) will have a paradoxical reaction to it, and get very jittery instead of very sleepy. Best to see that before you hit the road.

Old towels just in case he does urp up, a couple of those big zip lock bags, like 3 gallon, to throw the towels in until you get to a trash can, baby wipes or just a couple damp wash cloths in a baggie in the cooler, if you need to wipe anyone's face or paws.

Don't wash his bedding before you go, unless it's really, really yucky. The smell of his own home will be reassuring.

Have a GREAT time!

Ruth

If there's any way you can get the crate fit in, he is a lot safer riding in a secured crate then loose in the car.

That said, just keep him in mind and take lots of leg stretch breaks and offer a small amount of water regularly and he will likely do just fine. Bring water from home and a bowl for him, offer a snack at mealtime so he doesn't have to ride with a full stomach if hes prone to carsickness. Be sure he has a tag with a contact number where you can actually be reached, and be careful, ensuring his lead is on and a human has a hold on it before opening a car door to make sure he doesn't get spooked and bolt out of the car.

A trick I learned from police dog handlers is to figure out where the dog will ride and then put on a leash, (A harness instead of a collar is ideal here - but never use a choke or a martingale), then close a loop of the leash in the top of the door nearest to where the dog rides. Give him enough inside slack to turn around and settle comfortably. This way you can open any other door on the vehicle without danger of a bail-out, and when you are ready to unlimber the dog you have his leash in your hand before you open the door.

Wow, these are all really great tips. Since we're leaving at 5 AM and Cerb usually doesn't eat until after his walk around 7AM, we won't need to give him his first meal until after the worst of the switchbacks (Salt River Canyon). We'll just feed him a few smaller meals rather than one big one on the road. That's a great tip with the leash!

Thanks all! I'll bring back pics of Cerb playing in the aspens.

Wow, these are all really great tips. Since we're leaving at 5 AM and Cerb usually doesn't eat until after his walk around 7AM, we won't need to give him his first meal until after the worst of the switchbacks (Salt River Canyon). We'll just feed him a few smaller meals rather than one big one on the road. That's a great tip with the leash!

Thanks all! I'll bring back pics of Cerb playing in the aspens.

Dear Doggers,

On the road with dogs:

1. Keep a routine. Try to empty them and walk them at more or less the same times every day.

2. In the car confine or tie them: they'll zone out happily. NO OOTCHY KOO!!!

3. They don't need to get out as often as you think. In the daylight: once every 6-8 hours. They'll sleep all night. They don't need to get out every time you do. In my experience, the best stops are travel centers/truck stops well outside population centers. In the back, behind where the trucks are parked, you can always find an open space (though often trashy) for the dogs to stretch out and pee. Rest stops vary enormously from state to state. Many have dog walks in betwixt the incoming and the interstate. Usually there's a little service road in the back to the maintainence building. Good place for dogs. In town: churches during the week, schools on weekends. In the west, the first place I look for in a new town is the fairgrounds. Plenty of room, no traffic.

4. If I don't mind the taste of the local water, my dogs drink it. If I don't like it I buy the cheapest spring water.

5. You don't need to haul all that dog food. You can find dogfood in the road - in travel centers if pressed.

6. 2 small meals every day are better than one big one BUT no dog suffers much if he misses one meal. I'm leaving tomorrow at 3am. Dogs won't eat until 5pm.

7. Have a breakdown plan. If your car dies, what will you do with the dog(s) while you fetch a wrecker? (Mine have ridden on wrecker floorboards several times). Do carry a jug of water. Do carry a tieout chain and a spaceblanket (heat).

8. Be routinely paranoid. There are nutcases who release dogs "imprisoned" in cars. I know more than one handler who lost a dog at a rest stop. I never drive away after being out of the car without a "paranoid dog check".

And above all - Don't worry. Your worry makes your dog anxious. Let 'em be.

Donald McCaig.

Great ideas here.

Wish I had these great tips before our trip in June (890 miles from Vancouver BC to Yellowstone National Park) 2 nights on the road as we had lots of stops to keep the trip interesting.

Sierra is use to riding in the back of the SUV with a barrier to prevent her from jumping to the front. A leash is attached to the back headrest to prevent jumping out of the vehicle on a busy road. There was quite a bit of slack so she could sit/stand/turn around.

quart containers of frozen water for the road (and to keep the cooler cool). She did drink park water without adverse affects.

7. Have a breakdown plan. If your car dies, what will you do with the dog(s) while you fetch a wrecker? (Mine have ridden on wrecker floorboards several times). Do carry a jug of water. Do carry a tieout chain and a spaceblanket (heat).

8. Be routinely paranoid. There are nutcases who release dogs "imprisoned" in cars. I know more than one handler who lost a dog at a rest stop. I never drive away after being out of the car without a "paranoid dog check".

These are two very good points. I used to always travel with a copy of a rabies certificate and recent picture in case of the worst. I'll disagree with Mr. McCaig about not letting them out that often (I have always figured if I need a leg stretch, they would enjoy one) but that doesn't mean I am right. ;-)

I'm a little late with this, but if anyone has well traveled it's me. Kate has over a million miles and Molly about 200,000 (she's only two). Pretty much as others have said. I agree with Donald, they don't really need out as often as I do. Since I can't possibly carry enough water from home, I fill a jug at the fuel island when needed, I've only ever had one problem, the water didn't smell good and they wouldn't drink it. I have a water bowl with water available all of the time. It has a lid with a smaller hole that works very well.

I do however only feed one kind of food, which can be purchased at any Wal-mart in the country. They also love all of that white rice paste from Chinese take out. They also know that if Dad eats cheese, they eat cheese. (I eat cheese on almost everything) They get fed once a day when I'm cooking supper for myself. In fifteen years on the road, except for puppy accidents I think I can probably count the accidents on my fingers, we all get sick sometimes.

As for places to walk, truckstops are our main places, but they can be trashy in the back which is where we walk most. I do wish someone would shoot all of those trucker that throw out their chicken bones. Molly is like a vacuum cleaner and can scarf up a bone and have it down before you can even react. Also many of the southwestern states have sand burrs so bad that they get so they won't set foot on dry grass. Kate seems to be able to smell them. Both have learned to stop and wait for me to come remove it. If I have the time, our favorite places are the ranch exits out west, there is usually enough room to park on the exit, we then just walk along the road for a while.

Most of the time I really don't treat them much different than when I had Border Collies on the farm. They live with me

All in all it's generally a good experience and they are very little trouble, well, maybe too much hair in the truck, but we must have our priorities.

Dick

Dear Doggers,

Mo:

I have a dog bag containing: their bowls, poopbags, a flashlight (Important!), a good variety of motel "Do not Disturb" signs, my spare whistle and a couple pocketable string leads. If I didn't carry these in the sidepocket of the Boulevard Cruiser, they'd be in the bag too: roll of paper towels, odorless spray cleaner suitable for motel rugs and/or roll-in-poop dogs,imodium d (I once had four dogs with the runs in a second floor motel room - bad) crate wheels - do crate your dogs. I've talked to vet techs who've dealt with dogs after a car accident. The airline crates don't collapse as easily as the show crates but they'd be better in an accident and you can get them with wheels which are very handy in airports or big downtown hotels.

When I was in Wales I realized how sheepdoggers are geared up for dog travel here in the states. There's nothing like two dogs caked in red mud loose in a Mercedes rent-a-car.

Donald McCaig

lots of good advice, and I'll also agree dogs don't need out nearly as much as you plan here. Every 4 hours or so is plenty, and letting them out at every single stop creates an "ants in his pants" dog that things every cease of the engine is an excuse to get excited. Sounds cute, but when you do have a stop they have to stay in you've got dogs that won't relax.

If you are traveling in heat I would recommend a solar shade big enough to cover the car if you get stranded. I got mine from CleanRun but there are a variety of sources. A battery operated fan (the Ryobi one is great) and a minimum of a gallon of water per human and dog in the car. _

Crate. Crate. Crate. They are the only hope your dog has in most accidents. A tie cable in case the crate is damaged is good as well. A clear laminated card on the crate or in the glove compartment can tell people who will be responsible for you dog in an accident if you can't.

I just have one little thing to add. The first time we made the drive between Denver and Phoenix Ceana refused to go to the bathroom. She held everything for 16 hours. Once we reached our destination she was fine. The second time we made the trip she had no problems using a rest stop. My best advice is not to stress if your dog is a little stressed.

Well, we got there and everything went great! Thanks all. Cerb was a bit anxious for the first hour but after that he relaxed and went to sleep. He had no trouble going to the bathroom but he did, for the first time, bark at other dogs at a rest stop. Now that we are in NM, Cerb is like a little piggy in a mud hole. He played in a stream for the first time and the aussie/BC cross next door is his new best friend. He sticks close when we hike but loves to check everything out. About every 3 minutes he'll erupt and start zooting all over the place like a pinball. He hasn't been on lead since we got here and he has been stellar listening to commands. He also is less submissive (in an "I'm a big boy, I sniff first" sort of way).....I'm wondering how this "growth experience" is going to manifest when we get back to the homestead.

Everyone's already left, but I'll put in my $0.02 anyway.

My dogs have been to every football stadium in the Southeastern Conference (Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt), as well as the College World Series in Omaha, the Capital One Bowl, the SEC Championship game (Atlanta), the SEC baseball tournament (Birmingham), and various other sports venues (they are very sporty dogs...they insist on dragging me to all these sporting events, and once there, I have to go in...).

I bought the minivan specifically to haul dogs and tailgate supplies.

They are happiest in their crates. I take their food from home in a plastic container from W-M bought for that purpose (it contains exactly 1 bag of their dogfood, which is now Purina One; I was feeding Canidae but it gave them the runs and they shed worse; they do fine on the Purina One and it's available all over the USA). I don't mess with water from home, but I take several of the big bottles of Ozarka with me (I like it better than tap water) and they drink it, too with no ill effects.

I use a product (during the summer) called Comfortis. They are flea-free and stay that way. No ill effects for them from the drug (the only ill effect is on my bank account). The only thing I've come to fear on the road are the aforementioned sand burrs in the west, and the fleas and ticks at the truckstops (and occasionally the hotel rooms) in the east. Hence the Comfortis.

I also carry a copy of their shot records.

I specifically agree with Lenajo's comment about not letting them out every time I get out. I get out about once an hour (I drink a lot of water on the road, so I have to stop a lot). They get out every 3-4 hours. If you let them out every time you get out, they expect it.

They don't like switchbacks and they don't like stop-and-go traffic; otherwise, they just lie down and sleep.

They've been with me so long that the command, "Get in the van!" works great. Bessie has learned that the blue van is her friend. I am having to take her out on a leash while she's having her heartworm shots; she goes up to the van (in the driveway) and sniffs the tailgate. Every day.

Some great ideas in this thread I had NOT thought of and I will be incorporating them.

La Quinta is pet-friendly chain-wide. The "Inns and Suites" are nicer than the "Inns" (which are the old motels) but honestly, I've never had a bad experience there. They are very nice about the dogs. I try to be considerate and shush the dogs while we're in there.

Not travel related, but dog-related: We're having trouble with burglaries in the area (teenagers needing drug money). These two teens were trying to kick in this lady's door (in my neighborhood), WHILE SHE WAS AT HOME, but they were frightened away by her barking dogs. Let's see, Brinks bill $35/month, dogfood $40 a month....but then there are vet bills and the unfortunate hair on the floor situation---as opposed to love and affection---hmmm, best burglar alarms you can have!

Dear Doggers,

Mr/Ms Malvie wrote:

"La Quinta is pet-friendly chain-wide. The "Inns and Suites" are nicer than the "Inns" (which are the old motels) but honestly, I've never had a bad experience there. "

Good tip. Thanks. Red Roof is also pet-friendly. First floor rooms are okay but dog walking is often poor. Most Super 8's accept dogs but,like most new motels, they have lobby access, back door and side door which often opens into a truck parking lot. I use takeyourpet.com and google maps, then check websites for outside room entrances. They wouldn't be important if I only had one or two dogs but since I often travel with four, the outside entrances are preferable.

Book ahead, mention your dog and ask for ground floor near the back. Sometimes the only "pet" rooms are smoking rooms. Arrive before five and you'll have your pick of rooms for that night. Get in at nine-thirty and they'll give you what they have left.

Donald McCaig

the dog and I love La Quinta - especially the "no pet fees". Motel Six is the same - dog friendly, no fee. Super 8's are usually $10.00 but not all Super 8 are dog friendly.

I like Ramada but their pet fees are $25.00 despite Travelocity claim that it was $10.00.

Archived