BC Boards

ram lamb

debp

I have a nice fat ram lamb that somehow missed banding day. :rolleyes:

We're taking some sheep to market - soon - because we're already having to feed hay (very dry here in VA).

I thought someone might be interested in a nice ram so offering for sale here - $40.

He's Border LeicesterX Border Cheviot and is already looking very handsome and ummmm...manly at 4 months!

• 1 month later...

Hey Deb, I also live in Central Virginia. Where do you take your lambs to market? There is a buyer near

me but she only takes them at certain holidays and only rams/wethers no ewe lambs. I also have two nice

ram lambs but they are Dorper. Too nice to go for slaughter. Thanks. Mona

In the past we have taken our sheep to a buyer in Bloomery, WV. A month ago, he was paying $1.25/lb for lambs (<year) and $1.00/lb for yearlings. Cull/older ewes and wethers were $.45/lb. We took a variety of 9 sheep and the check was about $700. We had to cut back. I sold some nice wool (BL) lambs to a spinner flock and this ram lamb will go to a friend in NC. I now have a nice size flock of 19 which is manageable. Some for my wool hobby and some for working.

We've been feeding hay all summer!

If you are interested in the buyer, email me privately.

Hi Deb,

If your ram lamb had a Border Leicester sire and is out of a Cheviot dam, he is a Scotch Halfbred. He should be worth more than $40, since he has a fancy title!

nancy

Hi Deb,

If your ram lamb had a Border Leicester sire and is out of a Cheviot dam, he is a Scotch Halfbred. He should be worth more than $40, since he has a fancy title!

nancy

He's going to a friend :D She'll be glad to know he's all fancy! :rolleyes:

Halfbred ram lambs are usually sold at a slight discount. It's the ewes you want from that cross. Breed them to a Texel or Suffolk and you get a thick lamb with plenty of milk from the Border Leicester side, and plenty of get-up-and-go from the Cheviot.

Halfbred ram lambs are usually sold at a slight discount. It's the ewes you want from that cross. Breed them to a Texel or Suffolk and you get a thick lamb with plenty of milk from the Border Leicester side, and plenty of get-up-and-go from the Cheviot.

I only had 3 lambs from the 2 cheviot ewes this year and they were all ram lambs!

Another cross I have is the BL x Suffolk. Fast growing lambs from that cross. But I don't like the Suffolk in them for working the dogs. THey can be real a-holes :rolleyes:

I'm down to a few BLs for their wool and some hair and hair/wool crosses for working. Ram is gone for the time being and not breeding this year.

Archived