BC Boards

FLEAS ARE DRIVING BOTH US CRAZY!

We moved in and this place and now my Troy is scratching so bad! We've tried baths, and some cheaper flea treatments and also diamataious earth (sp?) anyways...I do work at the Human Society and one of the staff there gave me some over the counter heartguard type brand pill that treated all kinds of worms and fleas. I ended up giving to my moms dog because it said not to give it to border collies. Is there any pill specially made for these cute fluffy dogs? He's going crazy and the baths are not enough. Thanks for reading!

I personally think Advantix (topical drop kind) works the best, but if you have them in the house you will need to treat the house as well....

There is a pill called comfortis that you can get from your Veterinarian, I hear it works great. Still probably need to treat the house.....

I'm surprised that you're running into products that specify they not be administered to Border collies. I suspect that recommendation is based on outmoded views of ivermectin sensitivity in Border collies. Please refer to: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=4966 for more detail.

For more up-to-date info on ivermectin sensitivity (and other drugs related to the same mutation): visit http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/breeds.aspx

I got fleas this year, and broke down and treated everybody with Frontline a few days ago. Previously, I didn't really bother with flea/tick preventative. I think my dogs got frontline once last year, and my cat hasn't had it in years.

But I found fleas, and so, they got frontline. No side effects with anybody.

There has been a major flea infestation where I live. I was pulling 5-10 fleas off of Daisy 3 different times a day. I finally decided the natural way was not cutting it: vacuum every day with borax in the vacuum bag and using a flea comb. I found a great chart on the Natural Resources Defense Council website that breaks down the safety level of different flea products based on what is safe/unsafe for humans. Here is a link to the pdf chart that you can download. Or a link to the main website: here

Based on the chart, I decided to go with Advantage. I have not given it to her yet, but my brothers dog and parents dogs are on it. The other thing I have done is use Earthbath: Tea Tree & Aloe Shampoo. Interestingly enough when I gave her a bath with this stuff a week ago, the fleas stayed away from her no fleas/no poo. I was giving her a bath with johnsons baby shampoo before and by the next day or two she would be covered in flea poo and fleas. I noticed today that she had a few fleas on her again so I gave her another bath with the Earthbath shampoo. I will see if the fleas staying away was just a coincidence or not. Not sure yet as the fleas I saw on her today were small, so I am also thinking since the other dogs are on the Advantage, these tiny fleas are now eggs that have hatched from the larger fleas that have since been killed by the Advantage?????

If you decide that you are out of options and have to go the chemical route, you could apply a half dosage, that is what we did with the two dogs and it seems to be working.

I had my first go round with fleas last fall, Brody was on Frontline but it was not working, as I could not use any other topical chemicals for about a month, I tried baths, combs etc nothing worked. Normally I am very conscious of household chemicals, but when the fleas bit me ( I am very tasty to biting bugs) it was game on, and I declared chemical warfare. Despite the baths and the chemical overload in the house the fleas did not depart until I used the topical Revoultion, and then it was almost instant.

This year I am using Advantix and fingers crossed no fleas.

Archived