BC Boards

My dog = hunter?

So, I had noticed over the last few days that my basement had an even mustier scent than usual. Windows open, fans blowing, and all.

So, poking around in the back corner, I saw a MOUSE, half squished on the floor, and molding up. Must have been there a week or so. All I can guess is that Buddy heard it down there and decided to pounce on it - then didn't know what to d with it after that.

Ugh.

Back to the mouse traps I go.

Mary

That very same thing happened to a very unlucky squirrel in my backyard a week or so ago (somehow, even though she is never out there for more than 10 minutes at a time)! Vala has recovered from her heartworm treatment and is doing well... Good for her, bad for the local squirrel population, apparently! She didn't know what to do with him afterwards either!

So, I had noticed over the last few days that my basement had an even mustier scent than usual. Windows open, fans blowing, and all.

So, poking around in the back corner, I saw a MOUSE, half squished on the floor, and molding up. Must have been there a week or so. All I can guess is that Buddy heard it down there and decided to pounce on it - then didn't know what to d with it after that.

Ugh.

Back to the mouse traps I go.

Mary

You may want to ask your vet whether there's a risk of leptospirosis in your area. Dogs can catch it from rodents - even from licking up the urine of infected rodents. A friend's dog (a terrier) caught leptospirosis from catching - and eating - an infected mouse; the dog nearly died.

I used to keep pet mice but I HATE it when they come into the house. I still have distinct memories of our then three-year-old waking us up early one morning by coming into our room and proudly proclaiming "Look, Claude [the cat] caught a REAL mouse!!!" while holding up the cat's prize.

How to wake up, fully and irrevocably, within a nanosecond...

Sinead catches and eats mice in the yard. Ginsberg, the cat, bases probably about half his diet off of stuff he catches. My neighbor even borrowed him for a few days once when he had a mouse problem in his basement.

Mice don't freak me out in pet/snake food type situations, but I do not want to share my living quarters with wild ones. Fortunately, the only time I lived someplace with a mouse problem, they quickly realized it was a bad place for them to be.

Harlow and I were walking in the woods last week when I saw her chasing a chipmunk around a tree. It kept running around the base and she kept chasing it. Harlow likes to pounce when she gets excited and I'm pretty sure she pounced on it. Poor little thing was sitting up wheezing and breathing hard. Harlow walked away, I'm assuming having no clue as to what happens next lol

Archived