BC Boards

At a trial and your young dog does this.

Ok Here is my question.....its kinda goofy, sorry but I wonder about it.

How would a judge score a dog that has a good outrun lift fetch etc.......

Gets to the pen and you have one big stomping ewe that tries to ram the dog.

The dog first, just avoids the ewe, doesn't retreat. Then snaps in its face.....doesn't touch the ewe.

The ewe charges again, young dog barks once then snaps again......the ewe then decides to join its friends in the pen.

The dog first, just avoids the ewe, doesn't retreat. Then snaps in its face.....doesn't touch the ewe.

The ewe charges again, young dog barks once then snaps again......the ewe then decides to join its friends in the pen.

I don't trial, Tea, but there are judges that would DQ a dog for any grip (including snapping like this), justified or otherwise. But there are also judges that will allow an appropriate, justified grip if that's what it takes.

So, I guess I'd say that it depends on the judge but what you have described sounds like good dog work to me.

Others who have much more experience and knowledge will, I am sure, give you a better answer.

I AM SO SORRY THAT I (AGAIN) DID NOT NOTICE THAT THIS WAS ASK THE EXPERT. GEESH, WON'T I EVER LEARN TO LOOK?

Dear Sheepdoggers,

Nobody alive can judge a trial from a written description. Too many variables. Why did the ewe turn on the dog? If a dog has been harassing the sheep all through the course, an otherwise justified snap becomes a DQ. If the sheep is clearly unfit and is resisting - again it depends - has she been handled gently through the course or has the handler tried to work the healthy sheep and prayed the unhealthy one would keep up. Mightbe the dog has been zooming the sheep, might be the dog's been up-and-down clappy. Might be the handler has mistaken the pressure required and is pushing the sheep over onto the dog.

Sorry folks - it's too complicated for words.

Donald McCaig

Hum....I guess that is true.......Hard to picture...Ok I'll try to clarify and then give it up.

:rolleyes:

Dog not clappy...strong dog......pushy but stayed off.........

Ewe fit...kept up......

dog was closer at the pen.....

Ewe never did this anywhere else on course

Hi, Everyone:

Just a reminder that the "ask an expert" section is question and answer only--and only the expert of the day (right now, that role is being filled admirably by Bob Stephens) can post a reply to a question. Any training discussion or chat should be redirected to the appropriate forum. Thanks!

Just got back from the great Whidbey Island trial so am a little late answering these posts but here goes. I'll give you my opinion on the scenario you refer to but keep in mind that Judges have the right to their opinion on certain actions within the USBCHA guidelines to Judges and also that there are so many variables that could happen that it is likely that we will only hear of some of them. An opinion can only be offerred on what is known so this may not be the answer to the question if there are any variables missing. Provided the dog has not harassed the sheep throughout the course and caused the ewe to get on the fight, then what the dog did at the pen is completely acceptable and, in my opinion, justified even to the extent of a grip on the face and release. If a ewe charges the dog and has not been provoked by the dog, the dog has every right to protect itself and take control. You will notice that I have referred to the dog not harassing the ewe at any place on the course and this is very important to the Judge to make a decision as to whether the dog is justified in gripping or snapping at the ewe or is he just frustrated because of a lack of presence to move the ewe and is getting too aggressive with her. From what you have indicated in other posts from others on this topic I would say that you did just fine if this is your dog who is the subject of the post. Plese keep in mind that this is my opinion and I do do a fair amount of judging but I am not someone else so I can not speak for another Judge. Bob

Archived