BC Boards

What to expect

I have a border collie (I think), everybody says she looks and acts like one but because I found her outside and no one claimed her back, I don´t know if she´s pure or not.

Tonight we will take her to a friend of mine who lives in the country side and we will try her on sheep so I am wondering what to expect?

I am a bit worry she will be afraid or something or not show interest at all and then I will be disapointed :rolleyes:

But I was wondering because I don´t :D know how these things work, if she does not show any interest at all the first time, is it unlikely she´s a Bc ?

26220_381406664625_520019625_3536308_3385878_n.jpg

Nothing to add, but I will say that your girlie looks a lot like my friends dog who is currently staying with me for training for a few weeks. She is registered and everyone always asks if she is an Aussie or mixed with husky :rolleyes:.

This is her at 8 weeks:

5811_112215641633_728771633_2395150_7301569_n.jpg

This is her at 8 mos (she is a year old now):

18763_107474029268419_100000174668332_204566_6545972_n.jpg

Good luck, can't wait to hear how she does!!

Thanks for your answers.

I plan on going again with her if this goes well tonight, I´ll just have to see how this goes I guess :rolleyes:

I sure look forward to see how she will act around sheep, just can´t wait and have been waiting for over two years now, never had the courage untill now.

Muttley crew, she is beautiful! And yes she is similar in appearence.

Thanks for your answers.

I plan on going again with her if this goes well tonight, I´ll just have to see how this goes I guess :rolleyes:

I sure look forward to see how she will act around sheep, just can´t wait and have been waiting for over two years now, never had the courage untill now.

Muttley crew, she is beautiful! And yes she is similar in appearence.

My pup Jilly (She is a BC/Heeler) is only 3mo old, can be timid when around new things. I didn't think she would take to the sheep at all. However this past weekend I took her to a herding trainer just to "sit in" and watch so Jill could get use to the surroundings, after staying tied like a pro most of the day the trainer wanted to "just for fun" put her in the round pen with 4 sheep just to see what she could do... and OMG she came ALIVE she was a little sheep chasing machine!!! So expect her to want to CHASE! The trainer said thats the first step, if they will chase they can be reined in and learn to herd. She said when she is a year we will start training.

I also watched a 2yr old pup that had never seen a sheep she was a "city dog" and was SCARED stiff outside the pen when she was watching Jill work the sheep. But once she was in the pen with a little help from the trainer she caught on and began chasing also.

Hope that helps :D

I have a border collie (I think), everybody says she looks and acts like one but because I found her outside and no one claimed her back, I don´t know if she´s pure or not.

Tonight we will take her to a friend of mine who lives in the country side and we will try her on sheep so I am wondering what to expect?

I am a bit worry she will be afraid or something or not show interest at all and then I will be disapointed :rolleyes:

But I was wondering because I don´t :D know how these things work, if she does not show any interest at all the first time, is it unlikely she´s a Bc ?

26220_381406664625_520019625_3536308_3385878_n.jpg

She sure looks like a Border Collie to me and has a nice eye to boot. Your expectations at this point will be to just observe what is happening when she sees the sheep. This should be done under a controlled environment; ie: 1/2 to one acre field, fenced, long line on the dog to protect the sheep so you can step on it if she gets to chasing or trying to hurt the sheep. An experienced person with you who can monitor the activity (this is probably the most important thing that needs to happen) and let you know what you are seeing out there. Just because she chases does not mean she's showing any traits that we are looking for but at least she's not disinterested and that's a good thing. If you can get her to go around to the back of the sheep and gather them to you that would be a good indication that she has some stock sense and can be trained. As far as proving that she is a border collie or not with her actions, forget about that. It won't prove anything. She's a Border Collie or mostly Border Collie just by looking at her but she's your dog and if she works for you it doesn't matter whether she's pure or not unless you're planning on breeding and I would hope you're not unless you get an ABCA or CBCA ROM on her. She's your dog so just enjoy the fact that she will work and then go out and have fun training and working her and learning all about this great life we get a chance to lead. Bob

Thank you so much for your replies!

Well I went to see how she would be around sheep the day before yesterday and she was so scared :rolleyes:

This dog is really tense type- hyperactive, very sound sensitive and I kind of exspected her to act this way.

She barked at the sheep and started just blocking everything by sniffing the grass, rolling around in sheep dirt and eating it :D

And we did not want to push her to her limits so we called it a day.

Before we stopped the trainer put her own dog on the field to see if that would trigger her interest, and she moved closer to she sheep but nothing happened.

We were maybe ten to 15 minutes on the field with her.

The trainer suggested that I would bring her again the next evening and while I would train my other dog she would just get to watch, and we did that.

I will go next week again and what do you think ? Is there a possibility she has this or should I just focus on my other dog and let this go ?

I will not use her on stock, this is just a hobby for me and I would love her to be able to get her needs fullfilled if she has this herding nature and I would love to let her use her instinct if she has it, but I doubt that she has it after these two classes.

Pictures to show you

sumarbústaður%20júní%202010%20028.jpg

With the other dog (Ugla is on the left)

sumarbústaður%20júní%202010%20046.jpg

"No I´ll just wait for you mummy untill you finish"..

sumarbústaður%20júní%202010%20050.jpg

Archived