BC Boards

A short intro

Greetings,

I have been reading the Boards for a while and have posted a few times in recent weeks, so it is probably time that I stop lurking in the background and introduce myself. I apologize if I did this backwards (i.e. maybe I should have introduced myself right away).

I have a 10.5 year old rescue Sheltie mix, Ritz (at the time we adopted her, my husband said he didn't want a BC. He thought they would have too much energy, be too much work, etc. etc.) AND and 3 year old BC male, Torque. I finally got my BC!! I have wanted one for almost 25 years. When I was MUCH younger, we adopted a cute B&W dog from the local pound. About two months later, someone asked me if she was a BC. My answer was "What is a BC?" Please remember that this was before the Babe movie and all the neat agility and flyball and obedience stuff that has emerged.

Anyway, I did a lot of reading about BCs (again, limited books were available). Over the years, we would attend a couple of herding trials (as observers) per year. I knew that with school and work, I did not need a BC, but it was something that was always a goal.

I got Torque as an 8 week old puppy, and we have been through the puppy obedience and beginning obedience classes. Torque is a great dog, and we have fun at agility, some tracking and just general stuff. I would love to train him for herding, but time is still at a premium - plus it is easier to train for agility with a few obstacles in my backyard.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts and have learned a lot - and have also been entertained. I plan on keeping up with the posts and know that I will continue to listen and learn.

Best,

Jovi Larson

Welcome! This is a great message board. I've learned a lot from it. We'd love to see some pictures, of course. You are lucky that the National Sheepdog Finals are in Virginia this year. Not sure how far you are from Middleton, but I would sure drive a few hours to see those dogs and handlers!

Link to National Sheepdog Finals Website

Welcome! This is a great message board. I've learned a lot from it. We'd love to see some pictures, of course. You are lucky that the National Sheepdog Finals are in Virginia this year. Not sure how far you are from Middleton, but I would sure drive a few hours to see those dogs and handlers!

Link to National Sheepdog Finals Website

YES! I heard that the National Sheepdog Finals were in VA about a month ago. They are on that little peninsula that is connected to MD in the north. (I sure do wish that they could have found a site in central VA.) Since I am in Roanoke/Lynchburg area, it will be close to a 5 hour drive. BUT, I mentioned it to my husband and surprise! I expected a grunt in reply, but he said it might be fun to go out for a day or two. Actually, he loves the ocean so he is thinking that he can check out the shore while I am at the BC trials. That is OK with me since his tolerance for these dog events are about 45-60 minutes.

If I can't get there, I hope that my somewhat slow internet connection will allow me to watch the webcast.

Jovi

Welcome! If you do get to the Finals (not anywhere near the shore, sadly enough) you will find there are a lot of folks here that will be either competing, volunteering, or both.

Best wishes!

YES! I heard that the National Sheepdog Finals were in VA about a month ago. They are on that little peninsula that is connected to MD in the north. (I sure do wish that they could have found a site in central VA.) Since I am in Roanoke/Lynchburg area, it will be close to a 5 hour drive. BUT, I mentioned it to my husband and surprise! I expected a grunt in reply, but he said it might be fun to go out for a day or two. Actually, he loves the ocean so he is thinking that he can check out the shore while I am at the BC trials. That is OK with me since his tolerance for these dog events are about 45-60 minutes.

If I can't get there, I hope that my somewhat slow internet connection will allow me to watch the webcast.

Jovi

Hi Jovi, depending on how close you are to Lynchburg, and I've got my geography right, I think you can head up through Charlottesville (or hop on I-81 and cut over at Winchester) and be there in a little over three hours -- I'd like to go myself - we usually head to VA on Columbus Day weekend and this year we've got a family wedding to attend on Columbus Day weekend so the date's pretty much fixed in stone....so it's the webcast for me and the mutts.

The mountains are as beautiful as the shore that time of year!

Best,

Liz

Archived