BC Boards

Just wanted to say hi

I just wanted to say hi to everyone it has been awhile since I posted anything. Since Nikita’s passing June 23, 2009 I have suffered through bouts of depression. My Dashia (her nickname Bug and little girl) has helped me immensely. Without that little girl I do not think I could have made it. She turned a year on May 13th. We estimated her birthday since she was a rescue. My husband’s said Dashia is my guardian angel because she saved me. I had something to live for again a new puppy who loved me.

Since my Nikita passed it has been a rough year. My husband had knee surgery in July 2009 and is suffering complications still which maybe permanent now. He has been out of work since Dec. 2009 and is unable to work due to his complications from surgery.

My dad was hospitalized in November 2009 and passed away from a stoke Jan. 6, 2010. So I have pretty much been just going to work which has been tough and taking care of my husband, Misha and Dashia, and helping my mom out.

Now that is approaching one year since Nikita’s passing my depression is getting worse again. I try and think about my Bug and how much I love her and she needs me but Nikita will forever hold that special place as my first little love.

Considering the circumstances my Dashia is very well trained and highly intelligent. She picked up potty training without a problem and has her cute ways to tell me she needs to go. She has a stomach problem that our vet says is due to her being born in dirty conditions. But with a special diet (our picky eater, it was not easy) is seems to be controlled. At first we thought she had Parvo as a pup & I rushed her into the vet that is when he said it was her stomach. I do not remember the medical term he used. I was so scared thinking I would lose another angel so soon. I was so relieved when I found out she did not have Parvo.

My Dashia likes and does so many things like my Nikita I know in my heart Nikita had this little girl picked out, waiting for her Mommy.

Here is a current picture of my Little Girl.

post-10173-1276702163_thumb.jpg

Dashia is absolutely darling! She has such a sweet face. I remember how sad it was when you lost Nikita, and surely Dashia is meant to be your special dog now. I'm sorry you've had such a difficult year, and I hope things look up this year. Very best wishes from me and my gals Daisy & Juno.

Juno says, "Pleez buy Dashia a toy like my new favorite, the Chuck-it with *whistle* ball. Cheerful dog --> cheerful mom? Pleez pleez pleez!"

I sure hope that you are getting help with the depression. Sure, you have your job, your family, and a cute pup. But that's not a cure. It can just get worse and worse. I know. A great husband, 3 good kids, a good job, our parents alive and supportive.... But I realized that, when I was out for a run, I timed my breathing to "Go to sleep and don't wake up." A bad sign.

If the docs suggest meds, start with doxepin (that's the generic name). It's not one of the fancy new "cures". It's been around for yonks. I took it back in the 80s. Dry mouth, weight gain, and a bit of a spacey feeling are all possible. But it's way safer than the new stuff. When you get depressed - clinically - you really do need a medical boost because your body has started working against your best interests. Doxepin was sure what I needed to get things back on track.

It also doesn't hurt to find a place - out in a field or the woods - where you can be alone. And cry. And yell. And throw stuff. Not only once. Whenever you need it. We women, especially, feel that we need to keep it all even and calm. But that means bottling it all up. And, eventually, like a soda bottle that gets hot and then shaken, you'll explode.

Take care of yourself. Dare I say it? FIRST!

You've had some rough times. I, too, suffer from depression and have long found my animals to be a source of comfort and help in coping with life. Finally admitting my inabilities to overcome my depression by myself to my doctor and finding the right medication has made a world of difference to me. You owe it to yourself and your family to get some professional help, and I'm sure you will be glad you did.

Very best wishes!

Thank you everyone for you kind words.

I asked Dashia if she would like a Chuck-it with *whistle* ball and she said “Yes Mommy, please”. So I told her I would get her one. Please tell Juno thank you for the recommendation. Do you know where I can buy one?

I am going to my doctor and see what he suggests for my depression. I will ask him about Doxepin. I want to make sure I am the best Mommy possible for my new little girl and my family.

post-10173-1276801842_thumb.jpg

Archived