BC Boards

Cyst on leg?

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

Maya has what seems to be a small, cyst-like, reddish bump on her left leg. It is right below where I assume her dew claw would have been; there are two similar small, slightly boney feeling bumps in the same spot on both legs that I am assuming were the dew claws. (She didn't have any dew claws when I brought her home at 8weeks, but I didn't know enough then to ask if she never had them, or if they had been removed.) This bump is right below that and is only on one side. It doesn't bother her when I touch or mess with it, though I do see her licking/"nawing" on her leg there some nights. This lasts only for a minute, and is something she does each night at the same time before going to sleep so I think it's more of her "routine" than a problem. Never seen her do it at any other time. Question is, I have heard that there isn't anything you can do to "diagnose" this unless it were to be drained or something similar. Would you take her to the vet now, or keep an eye on it to see if it changes? I am a bit neurotic when it comes to her health, she is the light of my life, so I would hate to take her in a month from now and find out something is wrong and I could have found out sooner. That being said, I don't want to expose her to any uneccesary procedures and I am assuming there is a decent cost involved. Thoughts? Thanks so much.

My dog has a history of mast cell cancer, so I don't screw around with lumps. If the lump is there for more than 2 weeks, we go to the vet. (Her latest lump turned out to be early ringworm--LOL). There are ways of biopsying lumps (if this is even needed) that can be easily performed in the office w/o general anesthesia. My dog has had many needle aspirations--some cells are sucked out with a needle, placed on a slide, and sent to a pathologist. The procedure+analysis cost under $100. The actual procedure is no worse than an injection.

needle aspirations--some cells are sucked out with a needle, placed on a slide, and sent to a pathologist. The actual procedure is no worse than an injection.

Recently had this done on Gypsy. She has a pea sized lump on her upper leg. Nothing abnormal showed.

Better to be safe and have it checked.

Recently had this done on Gypsy. She has a pea sized lump on her upper leg. Nothing abnormal showed.

Better to be safe and have it checked.

And I recently had this done on Sophie. She had a lump on her inside hock, which was revealed to be a mast cell tumor. Removal and treatment commenced immediately. I am very glad I did not wait to have it looked at...

Guest maya's mom

So I am feeling a little silly after the vet visit tonight. They told me that her dew claw on that side was not removed as far down as on the other side. So that is why there are two "bumps" on that side. She did say that it felt a little pointy, and that there was the possibility that a nail could be trying to form under the skin. She said at that point, it would probably being to bother Maya, so we could remove it at that time. So I will just keep an eye on it. Feeling a littlw silly, but at least I can rest easy now!

Good news! I'd rather feel silly (and have over the last 5 1/2 years!) than wait too long and have it be something serious that might have been fixable. :rolleyes:

Guest maya's mom

I agree. There was a positive to take away from the visit actually......our last visited ended in a bordetella vaccine (intranasal) that Maya DID NOT handle well. I usually don't keep that vaccine current, but we are taking a few trips this summer, to a farm, a large dog park, a border collie rescue....so I felt that it was best to have it done this year. Anyway, she was very nervous when we got to the vet. Prior to that bordetella visit, she didn't mind the vet at all. So this was a nice, easy, positive visit, as it was short and not invasive for her. All of the vet techs were very positive with her and she seemed more relaxed when we left. Thanks for the responses.

Archived