BC Boards

Autoimmune disease

phej

One of our dogs (resident non-bc) has been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease called Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy. Her immune system is rejecting her claws -- not something you ever want to see your dog go through. :rolleyes: While we are hanging in there and waiting for the drugs to kick in, I am trying to find some general info on what we should be doing in terms of vaccines, tick prevention, HW prevention, food etc. Anyone has any good literature I should check out? And all you vets on this list, do you have any experience with SLO? I have a great vet to guide me through this, but this is a very rare disease so I am doing all the reading I can. Thanx.

• 2 months later...

I hope you've found some relief for you dog by now.

I just wanted to point out that autoimmune disease is beleived to be caused by gluten in humans (I'm a living example). It wouldn't hurt to stop giving your dog wheat and see what happens.

I hope you've found some relief for you dog by now.

I just wanted to point out that autoimmune disease is beleived to be caused by gluten in humans (I'm a living example). It wouldn't hurt to stop giving your dog wheat and see what happens.

Thanks! We feed grain free diet, but we should probably be more careful about treats and such... good point. She has lost about two thirds of her nails by now. Its sooooo sad to watch her -- she doesnt even want to leave the couch to go potty outside. :rolleyes: Pain meds are not doing much. It seems that the toes become a lot less painful once the nail is off and the quick hardens... so we are kinda waiting for all of the remaining nails to come off. Cross your paws for her... one pathetic doggie right now.

Although I dont have proof, I believe my BC has an immune problem. He had swelling after a vaccine. Sometime last year he started losing pigment on his nose. I purchased an immune balancer product and started him on it and his nose is mostly back to black. I will be happy to give you the information if you want to email me. roseview@dishmail.net. Although what was going on with my dog is nothing compared to the problems you are having, but anything is worth a try. Good luck. Laura

One of our dogs (resident non-bc) has been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease called Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy. Her immune system is rejecting her claws -- not something you ever want to see your dog go through. :rolleyes: While we are hanging in there and waiting for the drugs to kick in, I am trying to find some general info on what we should be doing in terms of vaccines, tick prevention, HW prevention, food etc. Anyone has any good literature I should check out? And all you vets on this list, do you have any experience with SLO? I have a great vet to guide me through this, but this is a very rare disease so I am doing all the reading I can. Thanx.

My dog has autoimmune disease. I think it took about 30 days for the imuran she was on to really take effect. Then she started to get dramatically better. But she was sure sick for a while. She was also on prednasone but that just didn't work as well as the imuran.

She had her puppy shots and I haven't gotten her any more shots since. But I am looking into starting them for her again - one at a time instead of all together.

I use Revolution for ticks and heartworm. Both of her vets said that was the only thing safe enough for her. Didn't start using this until she was in remission.

I also still need to have her spayed but have been holding off on that until I'm sure her immune system is working properly. I just don't want to risk surgery until I know she is all right.

She was on her medication for several months and then we weaned her off really slowly. She hasn't had any more problems with the autoimmune disease since about January. We are having some problems with joint damage from the immflamation but that is just a residual effect that we will probably have to deal with the rest of her life. But I'll take that - she could have died so I feel blessed just to still have her.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! And thanks to those who emailed me privately -- I got some great advice.

I was travelling for the past couple of weeks, and I came home to a much happier dog. Finally! She still has one nail to lose, but she is back to her reactive self (never thought I would be happy to see that, lol) and was even fetching yesterday. So I am hoping we are heading to a remission. :rolleyes:

Archived