BC Boards

Opinion: Spay 2 1/2 year old border collie?

doofoo

Just wanted to get the opinion here. I have a 2 1/2 year old border collie named Marley I was thinking of having spayed but wanted to see what everyone else here had to say.

I had planned to get her spayed when she was younger however when she was still a pup she broke her leg and had to have multiple surgeries and long recover being crated and one thing led to another and she never was taken back in to be spay.

Would it be okay with her current age, any things to worry about at this point if I do have her spayed?

Much appreciated..

No, I think 2.5 is a great age- ideally younger so you don't have all the hassle of seasons, but assuming she's fit and healthy, it should be fine. We spayed a 9 year old bitch we got in for rehoming a couple of years ago, not a problem. Discuss it with your vet if you're worried.

No, I think 2.5 is a great age- ideally younger so you don't have all the hassle of seasons, but assuming she's fit and healthy, it should be fine. We spayed a 9 year old bitch we got in for rehoming a couple of years ago, not a problem. Discuss it with your vet if you're worried.

Yeah, she's both fit and healthy. I'll discuss it again with the vet locally as I moved and don't have the same relationship as I did with my previous vet.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There shouldn't be any problem with spaying her at this age. You'll gain the benefit of not having to worry about accidental breedings, and you'll still reduce the risk of mammary cancer, though not by as much as had she been spayed before ever having a heat. By having waited, you have given her time to mature skeletally as well. It should be a win-win.

J.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't spay/neuter a dog before 18-24 m/o. I want them to be completely mature before those hormones are cut off. I had my oldest dog spayed when she was 6.5 y/o - the biggest issue I had was keeping her quiet for a week or so while she healed.

Archived