BC Boards

Frisbee/Disc Dog

I didn't know where to ask this so came to the training topic. I am totally new to playing with the Discs, but my girl just loves it and I was wondering if anyone on these boards does this also. I can get one good throw, then she can catch it in the air, but then I cannot consistently throw properly for her to be able to catch the disc. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Audrey

I just finished my first USDDN competition with my 18mo today! For me, the best way to get better at throwing was to throw the disc sans dog, especially in various wind conditions and aiming for specific targets. I played/play a lot with grips and angles of the disc in these sessions and it really helps. I also use the regulation discs, specifically Eurablend, SuperHero, and SuperSonic discs - they are a great weight and are much more durable than other cheap discs or dog discs.

I throw the frisbee at an angle and out to the right so that when she turns to catch it, it is coming right to her. It does two things. It gives her time to get to the catch spot and it makes it easy for her to catch. She is new at this so I am trying to make it easy on her.

I second the practicing by yourself without the dog. This has helped my throwing immensely. My shots are still 75%, but it's better than they were (right around 25%). After I have a pretty good idea where my disc is going, that is when I start doing short throws so that the dog has a pretty good chance at being successful. I also work on throwing the disc at an angle to the right and/or left which causes the dog to "flip" for the disc. I found this helped Stella become more confident in grabbing the disc out of the air vs just wanting for it to fall.

I have a brilliant frisbee dog handicapped by a useless frisbee thrower, he can even catch most of pathetic attempts. He and my husband play a great game of frisbee, but I don't think they will ever compete so what I need to do is improve my tossing but it is proving an impossible task.

I ordered the book "Disc Dogs!" by Peter Bloeme & Jeff Perry. They say the same thing, practice without the dog.

I have tried the cheap discs also and after a few catches they are totally destroyed. So, I am going to start ordering the Jawz discs as they are much more sturdy and, much heavier as well.

I hear what was said about the "handicapped" handler. That is me exactly. Poor dogs, what they must endure to play a game!

This weekend we went to a competition Hyperflite Skyhoundz Kathy Miller Southwest Regional Qualifier. We were supposed to go on Saturday, but didn't make it so went on Sunday for the games. It was so fun. My girl loves going and being around this atmosphere much more then Obedience trials. She loves the game.

So, mom has much improvement to make for her sake! I ordered the training and throwing dvd's so I can get some guidance and more of an understanding about the science of throwing a disc for your dog. I figure the more I know the better chance she will have at catching more of my throws.

This has to be the most fun we have done together.

Audrey

Don't tell my agility instructor, but I'm more into disc than agility, although Kit and I do both and love both. It's just that we're already at a competition level and disc, and not there yet in agility, so my enthusiasm isn't quite there. At this point we're rockin' distance/accuracy, and we're working on a freestyle routine.

Jawz discs are great. Hyperflite is a great company and they have some very nice discs available. I also like Hero discs very much: http://www.herodiscusa.com/k9-discs?cat=16. The superhero is a jawz-like disc, and for distance/accuracy competitions, I like Xtra235 Distance discs. I've recently fallen in love with Xtra235 Freestyles as well, but I'm saving them for competitions.

As for throwing tips, grip is key. Here's a great youtube video on how to throw properly:

As someone else said, I'd practice without the dog until you get the hang of it.

Also, look around for a disc club in your area. You'd be surprised how many states have them. We recently started one in my area and there are now classes and competitions galore! As you said, disc is pretty much the most fun that a dog can have (see pic). If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

IMGP0869.JPG

Great thread...at a great time. Cerb just graduated from advanced puppy training and I'd like to start working on something new. Disc has the advantages that it's relatively cheap, it can be done in any open field with no special equipment and I can throw a couple of discs in when we go camping....we can play and he can play.

I used to chuck friz almost on a daily basis when I was in college. A friend and I would use it as aerobic training. We'd keep two discs in the air and try to outdo each other for weird and athletic catches. I just wish Cerb could throw back :rolleyes:

I've always heard that the "people discs" were bad for a dogs teeth. Izzatso? I'm thinking about getting a couple "promotional" discs (aka: free) to see if Cerb likes it prior to popping for a more expensive Jaws discs. The promo discs are crap and about as stable in rough air as a plastic grocery bag, but I like the price.

I've been bouncing a ball for Cerb and he's starting to pick it out of the air on a regular basis so I hope that if I float one for him he'll get the same idea. I just hope he doesn't transfer that skill to the local disc golf guys "playing through" the dog park.

When I started with Stella, I used a softer Frisbee to start out -- like the floppy fabric type ones.

Here's a picture of the floppy one. Maybe I'll invest in some "real" Frisbee's soon. :rolleyes: I don't ever plan on being competitive about it (though Stella would be awesome at it, me not so much). We are happy just throwing it in the yard and learning a few baby-moves. It's a great way to wear her out :D

29919_126120907403731_100000174668332_354000_3183625_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, I haven't been here for a while and see how this subject has grown. How fun! I also have the same soft disc as above. My girl loves it, but for competition, you really can't use it. I have found the the "less expensive" discs last about 5 minutes, so the investment of the Jawz discs is worth the money. I have had to throw away the cheaper discs over and over. So, I will invest in the Jawz as they are much more sturdy for my girls powerful jaws! I do belong to a local club and the "leader" buys these discs in bulk so get them at a better price and passes that on to us, which is great!

I will tell you, Chi-Ann loves the discs so much that I can lead her anywhere with one in my hand and she is excited to go, no matter where it is! She is totally addicted to this sport.

So, I received my DVD's and you are so right about the way you actually hold and throw the disc. What a difference in my throws. I can't believe it, by just holding the disc properly it sure does throw straighter and farther. So, well worth the $$ for the DVD.

Audrey

Archived