BC Boards

lifting off a person she defers to?

Hi Bob

Just when you thought it was getting quiet around here....

My Lucy has gotten very wishy washy when pulling off the person we normally work with. She will do this with another trainer I know as well. She respects/defers to them without question, and perhaps that is the problem.

The last time I worked her the sheep really stuck HARD to the person and Lucy just got what I call wishy washy. She wore left and right. And, I know that that shows the sheep there is no point to move. So, they stick harder. She will walk up, but only to a certain point, wherein she just defaults to allowing the sheep to stay to the person and then it's a real morass. This last time I came down the field a bit, and she was then "powerful" enough to lift them.

I don't know if there is anything I can do for this, but I thought I would ask. How do I build up her confidence on taking away sheep from a person she 100%+ defers to?

Hi Bob

Just when you thought it was getting quiet around here....

My Lucy has gotten very wishy washy when pulling off the person we normally work with. She will do this with another trainer I know as well. She respects/defers to them without question, and perhaps that is the problem.

The last time I worked her the sheep really stuck HARD to the person and Lucy just got what I call wishy washy. She wore left and right. And, I know that that shows the sheep there is no point to move. So, they stick harder. She will walk up, but only to a certain point, wherein she just defaults to allowing the sheep to stay to the person and then it's a real morass. This last time I came down the field a bit, and she was then "powerful" enough to lift them.

I don't know if there is anything I can do for this, but I thought I would ask. How do I build up her confidence on taking away sheep from a person she 100%+ defers to?

You do just exactly what you did. Get closer so that you can encourage her up on the sheep and mover yourself around so that she is getting to balance all the time. Get to whatever distance she will be able to get the sheep started and then work longer as she progresses from there. It won't take long. She is not lacking confidence per se, only when she is confused about to whom she is supposed to fetch the sheep. Once she has taken them off the person a few times, the problem will be solved. Have your set person stand absolutely still and quiet while you do the encouraging. Once she has lifted the sheep off the set person start backing up and let her bring them at a reasonable pace. (as fast as is reasonable, not too slow). Good luck.....Bob

Thanks Bob, we will work on that.

You do just exactly what you did. Get closer so that you can encourage her up on the sheep and mover yourself around so that she is getting to balance all the time. Get to whatever distance she will be able to get the sheep started and then work longer as she progresses from there. It won't take long. She is not lacking confidence per se, only when she is confused about to whom she is supposed to fetch the sheep. Once she has taken them off the person a few times, the problem will be solved. Have your set person stand absolutely still and quiet while you do the encouraging. Once she has lifted the sheep off the set person start backing up and let her bring them at a reasonable pace. (as fast as is reasonable, not too slow). Good luck.....Bob

Archived