BC Boards

Traditional BC Names

Hi all! I'm new here, well sort of, I've been trolling and I've had an account here before I just forgot all the e-mail addy n such for it. I'll hopefully be getting a new BC pup soon(well, within a year or so), I've had BC's before and I'm really excieted to get another! Anyway, I love traditional names for BC's. Of course I like the new school names too but I'm a history buff, old is my thing LOL! I'd love for you guys to help me compile a list of traditional names(and some not-so traditional!) for a male BC! Thank you guys bunches!

Welcome to the Boards!

If you're looking for "traditional", this link summarizes the most popular names according to the ISDS database:

http://www.palado.demon.nl/bcdb/dognames.htm

I purchased a book "Gaelic Names for Celtic Dogs" but didn't spot anything that particularly called to anyone in our family. I also perused databases (located via Google) of "Scottish Boys Names" (we knew we were getting a male). Finally (as DS was supposed to have had a role in his high school production of "MacBeth" that year, until conflicts emerged with other classes) we perused its cast of characters. The Scottish boys' names and MacBeth gave us a short list, from which we finally voted.

Good luck with the new pup - and be sure to post pix!

Hi all! I'm new here, well sort of, I've been trolling and I've had an account here before I just forgot all the e-mail addy n such for it. I'll hopefully be getting a new BC pup soon(well, within a year or so), I've had BC's before and I'm really excieted to get another! Anyway, I love traditional names for BC's. Of course I like the new school names too but I'm a history buff, old is my thing LOL! I'd love for you guys to help me compile a list of traditional names(and some not-so traditional!) for a male BC! Thank you guys bunches!

The oldest names would probably be Hemp, Shep and Spot. They are the grand daddies of the modern border collie.

Dunno if you are interested in icelandic dog names, as they are not specific for BC, but for sheep/farm dogs in general. The names are gender specific, especially so because of icelandic grammar. I f you are I could give you a list of male dog names (pronounciation might be an issue as a lot of reporters wrestling with a certain volcano name demonstrated...)

The oldest names would probably be Hemp, Shep and Spot. They are the grand daddies of the modern border collie.

My grandfather recycled the name Shep (Sheppie) several times and Ring twice -- Slippers was used only once - he was in a class of his own :rolleyes:.

The ISDS database referenced above is certainly a good source. You'll note that -- with a very few exceptions* -- the naming tradition is to give short call names -- ones you can use in the field. Also, for those who are obsessed with Scottish/Gaelic names, note that there are many Welsh names there too.

Note*: Yes, there is really one dog called "Colorsdiamondsforever" in the list. I'm just guessing, but I don't think that was a working dog.

DW's personal favorite: Skye.

I named my horse Skye :rolleyes: -- the breeder had registered her as Leola's SkyRocket but to me she was just Skye.

I should also add, sometimes you just have to look at the dog -- Brodie was nearly "Target" because of the big black bullseye on his butt, highly visible as a fat wriggly puppy, but now that he's full grown, you don't even see it so it's a good thing we didn't name him that :D. We hunted around and picked Brodie from a list of Gaelic names meaning "brother" because he was such a companion to DH.

Robin is registered as just plain "Robin" - he was born the day I first saw a Robin here in my area, and he is a red dog, but his name is actually "Robin Goodfellow" - the mischievous character in Midsummer's Dream, a celtic mythological figure, who also does good things for his family - well named, I think. It's meandered into Robin Come Bobbin' because of the way his ears flapped when he was running across the lawn as a pup, and now "Robin Red Chief" from the O' Henry Story - the Ransom Of Red Chief - again because of his mischievous qualities.

I recently left him sitting in the front seat of the locked car while running a quick errand in the drug store (for once not in his crate) and when I came out, some kind of shady people were standing by the car looking at him and he was posing like they do when they know they're being admired. I said "hi" from right behind them and they jumped and said "oh what a nice dog you have" and walked away. I called my son who works as a systems analyst for the county 911 center and asked him if there were any dog thieves in the area and he said no, but not to fear, if any one ever took Robin, they'd bring him back in a hurry :D.

I used a baby naming book that listed names by culture, checking the Scottish, English, and Welsh section, before eventually settling on a two-syllable Welsh name that meant "chosen" for my girl (Vala), who was a rescue from the municipal shelter. One syllable is the traditional length, sometimes two.

Maybe the owner of "Colorsdiamondsforever" was a yodeling shepherd.

I'm joking.

I used a baby naming book that listed names by culture, checking the Scottish, English, and Welsh section, before eventually settling on a two-syllable Welsh name that meant "chosen" for my girl (Vala), who was a rescue from the municipal shelter. One syllable is the traditional length, sometimes two.

Maybe the owner of "Colorsdiamondsforever" was a yodeling shepherd.

I'm joking.

I used an Irish baby names website to name Sinead. I settled on it because it means "God is gracious" and I adopted her 6 hours from being put down, or as animal control called it her "due out date."

Mick got his name, because it was my father's nickname in HS (he was Irish). Growing up we had a pit/shepherd mix named Jaycee, and my initials are JC, so my dad always said I was named after the dog. So I named Mick after my dad.

Archived