BC Boards

Border Collie ??

We adopted this beautiful dog about a month ago and we were told he was a border collie,, thought I would share a few pix if anyone may know if he is a b/c or maybe b/c mix?? what he may be mixed with,, not that it matters we love him all the same, but just wanting to know, he is about 1 yr old and he does have herding instincts and he does the b/c squat thingy when playing

so if anyone can help us identify what this boy may be would be greatly appreciated

post-11190-1274139986_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1274140036_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1274140105_thumb.jpg

Thanks, ill have to check on the info for English Shepherd, We love him no matter what he is, just pple are always asking us what are not sure what to tell them.. We have been saying b/c cause that what we were told.............but the rescue could have been wrong, he is a pretty mellow boy though

Looks like a Nova Scotia Duck Toller to me...

post-10533-1274156093_thumb.jpgpost-10533-1274156122_thumb.jpgpost-10533-1274156148_thumb.jpg

They are "allowed" black nose leather, but everything I looked at said, "Puppie for sale - rear dewclaws removed."

I've no experience with English Shepherds. But if that's what they look like I like it! :rolleyes:

He's a good looking boy, and I'm glad he found a good home with you. I don't know what breed his parents are, but I'm guessing they may have been brother and sister, he's got a whole bunch of toes. All the better to run fast, and I bet he's quite a swimmer. :rolleyes:

Pyr's and a few others are double dew clawed. Could that be his extra toes?

I see english shepherd but maybe an aussie head?

What's his tail like?

He's a beautiful color!

He's gorgeous! He reminds me a lot of a dog who was sold to us as a pup many years ago as a purebred Border collie, only our dog was a lot stockier. We used to call her our "Borderline" collie, as she never displayed an iota of typical Border collie behavior. I've always thought she was mostly (entirely?) English shepherd.

well he likes the pool, and he can take or leave the ball, my aussis is more ball obsessed then He is with the ball,,,,,,,,his fur seems like it dry instantly when he gets wet and his ears always look like we tood a crimper to it lol

Honestly, if you told me you knew that he was an Aussie X Great Pyre or something, I wouldn't be too shocked, 'specially with all those dew claws on the rear feet. I still don't really think he's a border collie though. I definitely don't think he's a toller - in fact, I'd bet a load of money on him not being a toller. Besides the fact that he is vaguely the same colour as a toller, he doesn't actually resemble one at all in carriage, head shape, ear set, coat type or size. A lot of people assume every orange dog is a toller though, and more than one person has assumed that's what Wootie is too - although he ALSO looks absolutely nothing like a toller, and just happens to be orange.

Nobody thinks his brother, who is not orange, is a toller though.

4619762397_a1a380eb3d.jpg

We got in a whole litter of "borderline" collies, some of whom who are similar to your dog (we had orange ones, brindle ones, some black and white ones and a red one) in our rescue, and the general consensus is that they are probably English Shepherds, or barring that, a blend of at least two herding breeds. There are a lot of "sorta border collies" in the shelter and rescue system - they kind look like border collies, but not quite. That's like your guy.

RDM

A lot of people assume every orange dog is a toller though, and more than one person has assumed that's what Wootie is too - although he ALSO looks absolutely nothing like a toller, and just happens to be orange.

Nobody thinks his brother, who is not orange, is a toller though.

4619762397_a1a380eb3d.jpg

RDM

Mr. Woo!!! :rolleyes: Wish I could have a glimpse of the Flamboyance!

I definitely don't think he's a toller - in fact, I'd bet a load of money on him not being a toller. Besides the fact that he is vaguely the same colour as a toller, he doesn't actually resemble one at all in carriage, head shape, ear set, coat type or size.

thank you! I read the few "toller" responses and had to shake my head, as a Toller owner.. he looks NOTHING like a Toller! even just the colour and markings is a stretch lol

Ok, so having done a good deal of surfing about the English Shepherd, he does resemble one from what I've seen so far. I would like to know more about why he seems so un-Tollerlike to those of you that know about that breed. What I came up with on my own is that his frame seems narrower and he's a bit higher on the leg. His coat looks like a puppy coat to me - very soft, almost wooly. He is definitely not orange - more pale sable, but again, I was thinking of this as a puppy coat and assuming it would deepen in color. Maybe not...

My interest is purely academic - just would like to know. Of course there's no knowing precisely what this guy is, but it seems logical that it would be easier to rule out some things. So what are we basing ruling him out as a Toller or Toller mix? Ear set, color and body type were mentioned, but how does he differ in these areas.

Not trying to be confrontational - just want to understand better. :rolleyes:

I have nothing but "looks like" to back up my thoughts, but he doesn't look like a toller (mix) to me. I would guess Aussie or ES mix.

He kinda resembles Danielle's Tucker a bit? Although he is sable, so I don't know.

I never heard of an English Shepherd or a Toller before I posted on this sight.. i have google both.. he does resemble the english shepherd to me... he has a long skinny body, not stocky at all,... i will try and post some more pics this weekend.. when we took him to the vet, he wasnt even sure of what kind he was..i was thinking about doing one of those dna what is my dog test,, does anyone have any experience with them

I never heard of an English Shepherd or a Toller before I posted on this sight.. i have google both.. he does resemble the english shepherd to me... he has a long skinny body, not stocky at all,... i will try and post some more pics this weekend.. when we took him to the vet, he wasnt even sure of what kind he was..i was thinking about doing one of those dna what is my dog test,, does anyone have any experience with them

Looks like an English shepherd to me, too.

When those DNA tests first came out, I got one for Sophie.

4584063046_075f9635b6.jpg

She came back as primarily a Chihuahua. A forty-pound, rough-coated, black chihuahua. So, I don't have much confidence in that test...

Full story here.

He doesn't look like a toller for lots of reasons, some of them identifiable - because he's tall and long legged (tollers are short and short legged), he has more muzzle and skull, larger eyes, a different kind of coat and most tellingly, he does not have toller ears. Tollers are 'closer' to Golden Retrievers than they are to border collies - if he does not look sort of like an extra small orange Gold Retriever, he isn't a toller. If he was black and white instead of orange and white, would you still assume he was a toller based on any of his physical characteristics, like his body type or ear set? I really think that people can't see past the "orange." You won't believe how many light red border collies and tailed Aussies get ID'd in shelter system as toller mixes.

The Flamboyance is still alive and well - it's a characteristic that TWooie sort of shares, with his stunted version known as The Flambe

4599216600_69bc9d0399.jpg

RDM

Ah, it's great to see pictures of the Wonderful Mr. Woo!

I think now that "Aussie red" border collies have made inroads onto this side of the world, it's just as likely that an orangey dog that looks like a border collie could be a border collie mix as a toller mix (I know zilch about tollers). And of course labs and goldens carry that same color, so really color alone isn't a good way to guess a breed (unless it's something like a weimerarner anyway).

J.

Looks like an English shepherd to me, too.

When those DNA tests first came out, I got one for Sophie.

4584063046_075f9635b6.jpg

She came back as primarily a Chihuahua. A forty-pound, rough-coated, black chihuahua. So, I don't have much confidence in that test...

Full story here.

Why that's a mighty fine looking Chihuahua you have...LOL

Archived