BC Boards

Collar or no collar?

Collar or no collar?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on leaving a collar on your dog, i.e. when not outside or on leash?

• Collar stays on all the time
    • Collar is off when dog is unsupervised or with other dogs
    • My dog doesn't have a collar

Just curious :-)

ETA: Do you have any stories or experiences as to why you do or do not keep collars on your dogs? Looking for safety issues I guess.

Both of mine wear collars all the time. Mick wears a leather field collar with name plate and Sinead wears a rope one. Sinead's is too big and can easily slip off, but it holds her tags. I'm too lazy to put a collar on Mick every time I take him in and out. On walks, Mick will get a prong always, and Sinead will get one if they're walking on a coupler. She only pulls when she's with him.

I'm going to get Sinead a nice Stillwater collar soon, though, and better tags.

Duncan wears his leather collar always. It has a tag with our cell phone numbers (but not his name); his rabies tag; his dog license (figure if I'm going to get fined for walking a dog off-leash I might as well be able to demonstrate he's at least licensed); and his microchip tag.

i try to keep a collar on most of the time, but when at home i take it off (it has ruined his fur around his neck... so mad). Has anyone else had that problem? his fur got really stiff and brittle on the top part of his neck and some of it broke off! hes on Omega 3,6,9 for his coat but it has not helped.

My three all wear collars 24/7 (unless crated) but they are all safety collars made by RescuePaws (and one other seller) on etsy. :D I actually had her make larger versions of the cat collars she has listed for the girls - they arrived today. Kes is still waiting on his. :rolleyes:

The WooTWoo wear collars, as they are both badly behaved.

Dexter wears a collar as he's a puppy.

Tweed and Piper never have collars on. Indoors or out. Should I ever need to walk them on a lead, I use slip leads.

Oh actually Tweed is wearing a Bite-Not collar at the moment, as he's trying to chew his cast off ;-)

RDM

I selected "doesn't have a collar" allthough my dogs probably have 15 collars between them. Hannah never wears one...there would never be a situation where I could get more than 30 feet away from her because she's always watching me. Turbo only wears a collar if I'm at agility with him because he pulls too hard for a slip leash to not choke him. My old dog Jetta who lives with my parents always wears her collar because she is deaf and will take off.

Oh actually Tweed is wearing a Bite-Not collar at the moment, as he's trying to chew his cast off ;-)

RDM

And this cast would be the result of?? Hope it was him being heroic and not something like running into a tree :rolleyes: And that he's all right!

Flat leather buckles are on 7/24 here. Has anyone noticed that it is rather difficult to even "buy" a buckle collar at a regular pet store now....can't find anything but the quick release ones.

don't use collars much. Had bad experience with them. We DO own collars... they are in the dogs stuff somewhere. Just don't use them much/at all.

Mine mainly use slip leads.

Mine wear their collars, complete with jngly tags, all the time with the exception of when they are competing. Wick runs naked as that is required in our flavour of agility. The boys run without their collars because the jingle-jangle of their tags probably would be annoying to the sheep. I toyed with the idea of getting them "trial collars", but it would just be another thing that I would forget at home. :rolleyes:

Meg wears a nylon buckle collar (with shiny silver and purple stars) with license and a tag with our address and phone number all the time. She's the new girl and while she has no desire to take off, I feel safer with it on her. The neighbors don't know her yet and I don't know that she wouldn't wander if she managed to get out of the yard. She doesn't seem to notice the collar at all.

Bear only wears a collar when we're away from home. He has a martingale collar with his tags. At home, inside and out, he gets to go naked. Collars bother him and he constantly scratches at them at home. When we're out and about he has other things to occupy his mind so there's minimal scratching at the collar.

it has ruined his fur around his neck... so mad

We had an orange mutt (best guess, she was golden ret., german shep mix, maybe some collie and/or husky in there too) whose fur was messed up by her collar. Even after not wearing one for years when she was older (apart from on walks), she had a ring around her neck where the fur was wiry and just didn't lay the same.

Flat leather buckles are on 7/24 here. Has anyone noticed that it is rather difficult to even "buy" a buckle collar at a regular pet store now....can't find anything but the quick release ones.

Really? I haven't noticed but I get mine from Gun Dog Supply, except Sinead's collars are from freecycle. But yeah, I would not trust a quick release on either of my dogs.

Three of our dogs wear collars with tags all the time. I view them as my "return address labels" if ever they end up somewhere they shouldn't be. My 2 yr old boy gets his home collar (with the tags) swapped out for a silent, no-tags collar when working.

My 9 month old girl, however, wears a collar only when I can watch her, because she lets her brother pull it off and then SHE chews the thing up! :rolleyes:

Stinker.

~ Gloria

Mine never wear collars at home, or in the yard. If we leave the house/yard for any reason, everyone wears a collar with tags.

ETA: I've never had any safety issues, but have read a few horror stories about accidents between dogs playing while wearing collars. I guess that's why we never had them wear them 24/7. That, and the jingle of the tags.

I put no collars but of course we have them; I've been thinking of getting some boomerang ones (except for the mini schnauzers because I'm not sure i want them back. :rolleyes: )

No one except the guardian dogs wear collars full time unless they are under thick ruff and i haven't noticed them on.

I try to remember to bring enough collars when we go to a trial...but sometimes I forget; i need to get an entire set to go to the camper!

cynthia

Collars all the time. Most of the collars have riveted tags that say (in addition to my name and number and sometimes a friend's number as well) "Reward -- Microchipped." Boomerang tags are suitable for the other collars.

I have had dogs get lost, and I want them to have every opportunity to be returned to me. A dog wearing a collar clearly *belongs* to someone. We travel to trials a lot (except this past year) and I have a propensity for taking my dogs on long walks (if possible) at trial sites. We take long walks around here in unfenced areas of this property and on nearby properties multiple times a day (same at trials). I think it's important for my dogs to have clear ID on at all times. With 10 dogs, I'm just not going to take collars on and off a gazillion times a day.

Most of my dogs have the center-ring hunt collars that are designed to turn if the dog catches them on something. I also leave collars on fairly loose, so the dog can pull out if it does become hung (which of course defeats the purpose of ID, but I figure is an acceptable trade off for their safety). No dangling tags means the tags can't be hung in crate doors or floor vents or the like (and of course the dog could pull out of the collar if that did happen).

I do occasionally remove collars, and if I have puppies playing together in a confined area, I definitely remove collars to avoid accidents. I've heard all the horror stories, but honestly I think most of those circumstances could have been managed had the owners been forewarned (i.e., dangling tags can be a "catch" hazard), and so for me the benefit of wearing a collar 24/7 outweighs the risks.

J.

Daisy has proven to be far too adept at sneaking out the front door when people are entering or leaving the house so we leave collars on all the time. Back when we were apartment dwellers she could go naked in the house, but I'm far too paranoid about losing my dogs.

Collars are on when we leave the yard. No collars on in the house or crates ever. I have had a friend lose their dog when their collar caught on the crate somehow and came home to see it after work. :rolleyes: Same goes when they are out on the patio or fenced in area playing - no collars. Again a few friends have had collars need to be cut off and fast to avoid death when the collar got stuck in the other dogs leg or mouth, etc.

Both dogs have collars on, inside the house and out. The only exception is when I put them in their outdoor kennel or a crate, and then I fasten the collars to the outside of the kennel until I take the dogs out. They jingle-jangle, too - ID and vaccination tags. They are both microchipped (in fact, Rusty is double microchipped with both U.S. and Canadian chips, because he was a Canadog in his younger years), but a visual ID tag can save a lot of heartache and stress. The vaccination tags are required by the County I live in.

I also collar and tag any rescue dog I pull, transport or foster as soon as I get them and the tags they wear include any vaccination tags they have and an ID tag with the WBCR's name, address and phone number on it. We microchip, but it sometimes takes a little while to get that done.

Archived