BC Boards

Scabie Mites

SS Cressa

one of my roommates dogs was diagnose with scabies(MITES!). :rolleyes: I am going to be using the sulfur dip(cheaper for me with having lost a job) on my two.

They had been itchy lately maybe 3-4 weeks but thought it was allerigies, dry skin, and shedding. They were getting omega, egg(once a week) and fish oil. Their coats look nice. Its only their bellys that look irratated and they are itchy. I am worry about using the harsh chemicals on them for 6 weeks straight. We aren't suppose to let it touch our skin but its ok to put on dogs??? So am wondering if should I keep giving eggs, oil, and omega treats to help their skin maintain or hold off till the mites are gone.

Any suggestions? Are you still able to use normal shampoo then the sulfur dip? How have you dealt with mites?

What type of mange? There are two types and one is common but not contagious generally (Demodex) and the other is rarer but more contagious (Sarcoptic) from what I understand. If it's demodex I'd check with your vet and see if you can just wait and see if anything develops. If it's sarcops you might want to ask about treatment with Revolution or Promeris as I've heard that that is now an option.

What type of mange? There are two types and one is common but not contagious generally (Demodex) and the other is rarer but more contagious (Sarcoptic) from what I understand. If it's demodex I'd check with your vet and see if you can just wait and see if anything develops. If it's sarcops you might want to ask about treatment with Revolution or Promeris as I've heard that that is now an option.

Its Sarcoptic.

She suggested revolution but it will cost 2-3x that of the sulfur dip. The sulfur dip will cost about 100 for both dogs. The others will be about 200+ for both dogs.

Watch yourself for itching. I had a cat a long time ago that gave scabies to the other cat, and eventually to me. The vet diagnosed the problem by looking at my arm. We thought I had a rash and that the second cat was pulling out its fur due to the death of his buddy. I went to the Dr and they couldn't figure it out. They thought there was no way that I would have scabies. (So they ruled it out the first visit.) So I took the cat to the vet and when she looked at the missing fur and saw my arm she knew exactly what it was.

I have no idea about the sulfur bath, but watch yourself so you don't itch. I'm sorry to hear about your job.

She suggested revolution but it will cost 2-3x that of the sulfur dip. The sulfur dip will cost about 100 for both dogs. The others will be about 200+ for both dogs.

There's no way it should cost that much for Revolution. At most, each dog should get two doses, two weeks apart. That's 4 doses of Revolution, which means you'll probably have to buy two 3-packs, which costs me a total of $75 at the low-cost vacc clinic I use. Call around to a few vets and find one that sells Revolution for a reasonable price.

one of my roommates dogs was diagnose with scabies(MITES!). :rolleyes: I am going to be using the sulfur dip(cheaper for me with having lost a job) on my two.

They had been itchy lately maybe 3-4 weeks but thought it was allerigies, dry skin, and shedding. They were getting omega, egg(once a week) and fish oil. Their coats look nice. Its only their bellys that look irratated and they are itchy. I am worry about using the harsh chemicals on them for 6 weeks straight. We aren't suppose to let it touch our skin but its ok to put on dogs??? So am wondering if should I keep giving eggs, oil, and omega treats to help their skin maintain or hold off till the mites are gone.

Any suggestions? Are you still able to use normal shampoo then the sulfur dip? How have you dealt with mites?

We just went thru that. I used Revolution - it worked. Its low dose Ivermectin. Put it on. Wait two weeks and put it on again. Wait two weeks and do it again. I think they are completely gone now.

Some of the monthly parasite products give protection against Scabies. Revolution protects against heart worm, fleas, scabies and ear mites. I think that Frontline Plus may also give protection - you just have to read what all they are good against.

i bought the Revolution thru Pet Meds and I think it was $45 for 3 treatments. For both dogs I think it came to right around $100 for 3 treatments each.

There was a thread on the topic of diagnosing and treating sarcoptic mange last December: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=26922 . It contained a discussion of the safety of different treatment options.

The article on treatment of sarcoptic mange http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html says "Dipping is labor intensive and rarely done any more as the other products are easier and more rapidly effective. We mention dipping since it has been a standard mange treatment for decades prior to the introduction of ivermectin."

Perhaps you can save some $ by purchasing discounted meds (like Revolution) that have been short-dated (meaning the package will expire before part-way through the term during which it normally would have been administered for monthly control of parasites). It would still be fine to use for getting rid of sarcoptic mange, though, because you'd finish the course of treatment well before the expiration date.

Good luck!

Watch yourself for itching. I had a cat a long time ago that gave scabies to the other cat, and eventually to me. The vet diagnosed the problem by looking at my arm. We thought I had a rash and that the second cat was pulling out its fur due to the death of his buddy. I went to the Dr and they couldn't figure it out. They thought there was no way that I would have scabies. (So they ruled it out the first visit.) So I took the cat to the vet and when she looked at the missing fur and saw my arm she knew exactly what it was.

I have no idea about the sulfur bath, but watch yourself so you don't itch. I'm sorry to hear about your job.

Scabies mites can get on people and make you itch - little bumps or bites especially where clothes are tight. Kind of like chiggers. But they can't survive on humans - wrong host. They live for a while and then just die off on their own. But they are itchy that's for sure.

There is a human scabies that is a problem in places like nursing homes but its a different kind of mite - not the same kind as dogs get.

Thanks for the link! WIll look into it.

Maybe the treatment was called something else? We would have to use it for 3 months... She definitly said it would be 2x the amount of the dip tho.

Archived