BC Boards

Stella's First Exposure to Sheep

Stella is 1.5 years old. This is her first exposure to sheep (4/9/10). We are going back for our 3rd lesson on Monday. My instructor feels she shows a lot of promise and seemed happy with her -- I am greener than grass when it comes to this. I wanted to hear some other opinions on her first exposure. I plan on continuing as long as she likes it (which she appears to). Honest opinions welcomed.

NOTE: It was very chaotic so I had to pick a random song to cover the noise. Halfway through (2:20ish), a ewe turned on her. I thought Stella was very brave.

Thanks for watching!

She's nice. I would have been happy with her for that first exposure. The ewe turned on her because she kept buzzing them behind (you can tell from the head-on shots when she's seems to come flying around the side from the back), pushing into the sheep's flight zone and causing it to turn. But she looks like she'll be a relatively easy dog to start, which should be good for you as you're green too!

J.

That was rather nice! She was going around, seeking balance at times, keeping the sheep together, and doing some other nice work for a first-timer.

Best wishes!

The ewe turned on her because she kept buzzing them behind (you can tell from the head-on shots when she's seems to come flying around the side from the back), pushing into the sheep's flight zone and causing it to turn. But she looks like she'll be a relatively easy dog to start, which should be good for you as you're green too!

J.

Thanks so much for the comments/feedback!!

This is the insight I was hoping for. I like my trainer, he explains things well to me and I like his methods. He doesn't do anything that makes me uncomfortable, which is a big thing for me. It's sometimes hard for me to find a trainer whose methods I like for my dogs.

Her 2nd lesson was in an actual field and was told she was balancing her sheep, lying down when told, and reading them well. Another ewe turned on her -- I guess for the same reason listed above. As I said, I go back Monday for our 3rd lesson and I will remember to bring the camera this time. I'm very excited. I may even put agility on the back burner for awhile as this really is fun so far.

Now I like that, she will probably make a good one. She is focused on the job and is ready to start training. For the moment try and keep her out of pressure situations like where an akward old sheep turns on her its important to build her confidence. Nice one.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Your instructor is doing an excellent job.....giving your dog space, staying relaxed and out of the way, influencing but not blocking or intimidating, not sweating it if she gets around him....he is letting your dog show her stuff to its fullest. You couldn't ask more of a first start. You should feel very good about it.

Your instructor is doing an excellent job.....giving your dog space, staying relaxed and out of the way, influencing but not blocking or intimidating, not sweating it if she gets around him....he is letting your dog show her stuff to its fullest. You couldn't ask more of a first start. You should feel very good about it.

I second this. The instructor is giving the dog something to do - the basic first step - keep the sheep together and bring them to the handler.

Archived