BC Boards

I love this website! BC behaviours

I adopted my first BC 6 months ago. I have been reading your discussions for a few months now, and you all have just about hit on all my "problem" areas! I realize they are just BC traits, and I thank you for your discussions and helpful hints. I have two more that I would appreciate some input on.

#2; "Nova" goes in circles all the time, and always clockwise. Someone said it may be from her being kenneled during her youth. (She's 2 now) If she has room to run, she'll go straight, but if she's trying to stay near me (off leash), she circles. Any ideas on how to stop her? I'm sure she'll be great on sheep, and with Come by. Away has me a little worried!

#2 She also loves to roll in poop. Never horse manure, but usually her own (or what the cat's have buried). She's mostly white, so any tips on fixing this problem would be wonderful!

Thanks!

I adopted my first BC 6 months ago. I have been reading your discussions for a few months now, and you all have just about hit on all my "problem" areas! I realize they are just BC traits, and I thank you for your discussions and helpful hints. I have two more that I would appreciate some input on.

#2; "Nova" goes in circles all the time, and always clockwise. Someone said it may be from her being kenneled during her youth. (She's 2 now) If she has room to run, she'll go straight, but if she's trying to stay near me (off leash), she circles. Any ideas on how to stop her? I'm sure she'll be great on sheep, and with Come by. Away has me a little worried!

#2 She also loves to roll in poop. Never horse manure, but usually her own (or what the cat's have buried). She's mostly white, so any tips on fixing this problem would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Hi welcome to the boards! I saw a video on youtube awhile ago about a rescued border collie that did the circling. Here is a link to the

. It is mostly about the rescue, but it does mention a couple of times what the trainer did to stop the circles. I think it was use a long line to encourage walking in a straight line. I think she also tried to put the dog into a sit or stay when the circles started.

I don't know if this helps or not. I am sure some of the more experienced members with chime in :rolleyes:

Our guy has a tendency to circle as well when walking off leash...he likes clockwise. It's because I trained him to "go around" me... and as he swoops around me from behind I let the frisbee fly. He does it on hikes sometimes, and if its not OK in the context I simply step in front of him and into his space...then order him next to me. It you don't like the behavior, interrupt it before it reinforces itself. The line is a good idea, gives you control...train her to walk next to you. But honestly, if she circles and stays close and focused on you, maybe its not the worst thing, depending on the context. Train her to go the other direction. Train her to only do it only command. Train her to nose on a target, and carry the target on walks...keeping her next to you...etc. Take this with a grain of salt...I'm fairly relaxed with my dog. If its not harmful, dangerous or annoying I can usually live with it.

We had a dog that loves her own poop...rolled in it and ate it. Best I can tell you is clean it up before she gets to it, keep her away from it...or make it unpleasant somehow. Hopefully the urge fades as the positive reinforcement is removed.

Ain't tried it, but I remember reading that putting pumpkin in their food makes their poop unpalatable, so maybe she won't roll in it either?? worth a try. However, immediate cleanup is probably the best most sure solution.

Our guy has a tendency to circle as well when walking off leash...he likes clockwise. It's because I trained him to "go around" me... and as he swoops around me from behind I let the frisbee fly. He does it on hikes sometimes, and if its not OK in the context I simply step in front of him and into his space...then order him next to me. It you don't like the behavior, interrupt it before it reinforces itself. The line is a good idea, gives you control...train her to walk next to you. But honestly, if she circles and stays close and focused on you, maybe its not the worst thing, depending on the context. Train her to go the other direction. Train her to only do it only command. Train her to nose on a target, and carry the target on walks...keeping her next to you...etc. Take this with a grain of salt...I'm fairly relaxed with my dog. If its not harmful, dangerous or annoying I can usually live with it.

We had a dog that loves her own poop...rolled in it and ate it. Best I can tell you is clean it up before she gets to it, keep her away from it...or make it unpleasant somehow. Hopefully the urge fades as the positive reinforcement is removed.

[/quote Can you tell me how you teach them to go the other direction? I'm pretty new at this! Thanks!]

Ain't tried it, but I remember reading that putting pumpkin in their food makes their poop unpalatable, so maybe she won't roll in it either?? worth a try. However, immediate cleanup is probably the best most sure solution.

Pineapple, not pumpkin! And I'm not sure but I think it would have to be fresh or frozen (canning/cooking destroys the enzyme that makes the feces unpalatable). Or Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (but that gave my dog diarrhea). Of course, that's a deterrent for eating poop, not rolling in it!

As stated, clean up is best! And, if your dog is young, she may just grow out of it in short order. You may also teach a "leave it" command and, when you see her begin to give her poop some attention, tell her to "leave it" and then occupy her with something else.

Best wishes!

I've been watching some dogs with poo eating habits. What I've noticed is there's the dogs that eat poo cause they're hungry and then those that eat it casue they're bored (kennel dogs) and dogs who for some reason or another eat poo cause they just love poo.

My daughters dog Pach (13 yr old rescue bc) is a poo eater, he'll eat it the minute it falls out his bum. He's been doing this his whole life, she's tried all the remedies (pineapple, meat tenderizer, and commercial stuff made for this issue) non really worked for him.

BUt recently he stayed with us for 6 months or so. He had poo galore (we live rurally and so kill me I don't clean up after my 4 dogs but they do poo away from paths and the house) Pach tended to poo where ever the urge hit him and at first I'd see him eating it, but we also live where there are wonderful bones and hides to be found if the dog searches a bit (old hunters place) after a while I noticed there was more poo around the house so I figured he wasn't eating as much. But I'd always find him chewing on an old bone or hides.

I think it's a matter of the bones and hides were a better treat to him so he was getting his fill of those and stopped eating poo.

How does this translate to your situation...I dunno but maybe offer some bones or natural type chews and see if that quells his need for poo.

My daughter has Pach back now and they live in the city, no bones or hides to be found. He's back to eating poo anytime he gets a chance!

Go figure.

Archived