BC Boards

How nice is it to not have to use a leash when hiking?

Zoey is the best off leash already, never going to far away, listens everytime. Tobey is finally like that and it happened today while at our usual hiking/watering hole area. Pics to come later, the first lady and I are taking all three back there when she gets home from work in a little bit.

It's so nice to NOT have to worry about some one just running off and not coming back!

To those that have been able to do this for sometime you're the lucky ones, I never thought Tobey could be without being leashed ever.

So exciting to also not have to be dealing with behavioral issues either...what a stress relief!

Here's my boy: :rolleyes:

t.jpg

I took Sinead hiking off leash today at a local lake...she had a great time. One day, I hope to be able to manage it with Mick. We've gotten to the point where I can trust him off-leash for tennis ball/frisbee-related activities.

0423001621a.jpg

I don't think she got any views like that growing up in the Bronx.

downsized_0423001625.jpg

Happy dog!

Congrats Tobey!

I know how much of a drag it is dealing with dogs who can't be trusted off leash. My girls are horrid off leash and i'd never get them back in a million years. Seamus is a DREAM compared to them. I wish we had nice scenic hiking areas in south Florida.

He came from a home where he was tied outside to a tree for almost his whole life. He extreme attention seeking barking/crying. We could step outside the house for fear of him seeing someone WAY off in the distance.

Now he can run and chase with any dog and has proven to be a dog that senses other dogs energy very well. He knows whom to stay away from and who he can play with while hiking.

Tim

Kes did an amazing recall last Sunday that leads me to believe he is getting really close to being as reliable as Ziva off lead. I just finished watching the Really Reliable Recall DVD so have some more stuff to work on to make it even better. :rolleyes: Congrats!

Here in AZ things are that a bit weird. Cerb's recall is great....he doesn't seem to be remotely interested in the rabbits and quail that overrun the area but I really worry about the cholla cactus and the rattle snakes. The cholla are hard to detect in that individual glochids and areoles (small hair like spines and groups of spines) can detach from the joint and hide on the trail. Snakes....they can be anywhere, even on our back patio.

So...He stays on the leash during hot weather: now through October. The cactus spines come out with a comb, duct tape or wood glue. Snake bite...not so much.

...but I really worry about the cholla cactus and the rattle snakes. The cholla are hard to detect in that individual glochids and areoles (small hair like spines and groups of spines) can detach from the joint and hide on the trail.

So...He stays on the leash during hot weather: now through October. The cactus spines come out with a comb, duct tape or wood glue.

The cholla cacti are just plain nasty. Fortunately, Rhys and Senneca don't panic, so I can calmly pull them out. We've hit areas where heavy rain has covered the ground with them. The rattle snakes will move away when they here footsteps, but you do need to keep everyone on bare ground where you can see what you are stepping on, so definitely no off-leash trails when the snakes are out.

Archived