BC Boards

what is a good Retractable Leash?

I know they're expensive but I love the Flexi brand leash. Hannah's flexi is almost 12 years old now and its still going strong. I'm in Canada and the cheapest place I've seen them is Petsmart for about $35. Other places seem to have them more in the $40-$55 range.

I have the Flexi 3 - the 26' version, in black (i think for 110 lbs dogs - LOL) - this one has been holding strong for more than two years - our last one was stolen at the dog park, and the ones before were, hmmm, chewed by my dog - but sown back by my husband :rolleyes:

I think I paid about $35 at Petsmart for this one. I see Amazon has it for $26. I went for the longest and heaviest one and I'm thankful for it - I have a sled-dog-wannabe.

I know some people don't like the retractables, but for my very easy-walking dog, they're great. I buy the Flexi smallish one (up to 26 lbs.) even though Buddy is 45 lbs. It fits in my pocket, which is a big plus when we go off-leash. It's usually about $26. I think I'm on my second one in five years of owning the dog - maybe my third. Seems like eventually the retractor goes?

Mary

Dobro, the money is worth it for the Flexi. I have the same one as Anda, the Flexi 3 - 26'. I like the longer length and the heavier duty gears. They last if you take care of them by using the brake properly (depressed down all the way on or all the way off)...it's that half-braking (and accompanying grinding noise) that kills the gears. I put a knot at the very end of the black cord just before it connects to the regular nylon leash, I think because it seemed to get a little bit stuck when it retracted all the way.

I don't use it nearly as often as I use my leather leashes, but my Flexi is almost 17 years old and is the only one I have ever owned!

I don't care for some of the places people use their retractable leashes---at the vet's office for instance. Owner is talking to the receptionist and not paying attention to dog on the stretchy leash and said dog is up in my dog's face as we come through the doors or wait in line. Same thing at big box pet store....Owner is looking at something on the shelf and dog has stretched around the corner and once again, is up in my dog's face.

My all-time favorite use is when small children are holding the retractable leash and Fido lunges ahead and the child doesn't have the strength or coordination to push the button the right way and once again....their dog is up in my dog's face.

However, with that being said, DH loves :rolleyes: his retractable leashes and uses them every night when he walks Jack. He even has one that has a built-in flashlight. So I think they are fine when used considerately. I don't have the grip or hand strength to hold them so I just use a plain ol' leather leash.

I *heart* the Flexi. My first one was purchased when we got Jake as a pup, and it finally died 6 years later (after being well-abused, I might add, by both me and Jake himself). It was well-chewed from when Jake was teething, and the casing was cracked, and add that with the fact that the thumb-pushing button was chewed, you sometimes had to assert sideways pressure when putting the button, but overall, it still worked fantastic. I cried when the rope finally snapped in a weak, worn-out spot. I couldn't bear to throw it out for at least a week or two. Then I bought a retractable on Ebay, and it wasn't a Flexi. Took it out on a walk when it arrived, and almost junked it within 30 minutes. It refused to actually retract, so there were moments when I was just standing there, Jake sitting next to me, as I manually reeled 25' of rope back in. I still kept it, but only as a fully-extended leash for the cats when I'd take them outside. Just pull the rope out to the max, then lock it and hang the handle to a tree branch and sit back and watch the cats have fun.

The next Flexi came from Petsmart, and it's still going great after a couple of years. I'm seeing new value in it's uses since Jake is now getting older and I'm giving him more steady exercise through bike-riding, and it's safer using the Flexi. A couple of weeks ago, he got thrown forward when he abruptly stopped to sniff something, and he ended up with a sore leg. With a Flexi, there's a more flexible reaction-time, so that I can stop the bike before Jake gets yanked off balance and risking throwing his joints out of wack.

I know some people absolutely abhor Flexis and similar leashes, and consider them highly dangerous (finger issues, lack of control, and so forth) but I love mine for certain things.

For my young dog who often needs a reminder that he's with me but also needs to be able to do his business and sniff about, I love it. I have control and he has a level of freedom and flexibility.

For biking with my dog, it means that if the dog is distracted momentarily, I have a warning (the Flexi reeling out) and can give a correction. While I've had spills with conventional 6' leashes while biking, I (so far, fingers crossed) have not had one with the Flexi.

For my deaf dog who, if she gets more than a Flexi length from me, can't detect my foot stamp "alert - check in with Mom" movement, it allows her some sniffing and snooping within a safe distance from me.

Now, it shouldn't be a substitute for training (and, in all my examples, training is the end goal) but it sure comes in handy for me. It certainly shouldn't be used by anyone, child or adult, who can't manage the controls. My two Flexis are both about 7 years old, not heavily used but used in some messy situations - like out in the cow pastures - they seem to do well if reasonably cared for.

Yup, Flexi brand all the way. We have one that's as old as Maggie (almost 11 years) and it's still going strong. The next one will likely be an all belt flexi to minimize the risk of rope burns from the ones with the thin rope sections. We use it for hiking and rollerblading mostly.

I'm not a fan of them in general, but we have a Flexi for our oldest dog. It's just the best leash to walk him on.

It was definitely worth the money to get the Flexi brand. We got the belt one and we really like it.

I'm not a fan of them in general, but we have a Flexi for our oldest dog. It's just the best leash to walk him on.

It was definitely worth the money to get the Flexi brand. We got the belt one and we really like it.

I'm not a fan of retractables either.....mostly. One use I do like them for is long line training. I hate having to manage 20-25 ft of line and keep it straight. Since I only have a limited need for a retractable, I go cheap and get one on closeout somewhere. I've never had one blow up or refuse to retract.

Here is a piece of advice that no one else has mentioned: the longer the flexi, the more likely the mechanism will fail (because a charging dog can put a lot more stress on it if they have 26' to build up speed). I have found that with border collies I can use the tiny dog size flexi for the short length (10') but must use at least the medium dog size for the longest length (26') or the mechanism will fail prematurely.

Also, I tried the Planet Dog version once, because I liked the form factor, but it failed early on, as have all knock-off versions I've tried.

A carabiner through the handle of the flexi greatly increases the variety of ways you can use it. I almost always use the flexi binered to a loose belt around my waist for safe, enjoyable hands-free walking (when no other dogs or people are present).

I've got a pile of Flexi leashes -- double what I have dogs, actually, from the time I left on a multi-state road trip and realized 100 miles from home that I forgot to pack leashes. lol

My dogs are horrible about going potty on a 6' leash (my fault, I've never bothered to train them to do it), so we always go to shows & trials with the Flexi leashes -- they are LOCKED any time we are in a public place or around other dogs.

I've actually gotten really good at handling three flexi leashes, and oddly enough, I feel a lot more discombobulated when I try to handle three 6' leashes.

For the most part, two of my dogs are rarely on leash in our day to day lives. The little guy is not so trustworthy, but his 23' Flexi lets him experience some of the freedom that that two other dogs enjoy.

I also have the 26' Flexi, and love it. I have had my current one for about 3 years, and it is still mechanically sound. I use it for most circumstances, but on those occasions when I need total control with no wandering, I resort to a standard 6' leash. Whatever leash I use, it is mated to a Martingale collar.

Flexi 26 foot went through a Black lab, Rottie , and now our new BC is using it at 1 year old had to do some inside repairs but they are well made and worth the money, just watch out for rope burns which can happen very easily. Good Luck.

I've seen a number of non-Flexi brands that jam and break without a whole lot of use. The money's worth it to go with the Flexi brand. I think the only time I've seen them needing to be replaced is if the dog's been allowed to chew on the line, and that's the handler's fault not the leash.

Personally I don't see much need for the really long ones (26 feet) unless you're walking in a fairly open area that's not a neighborhood. If you're walking on trails, 26 feet means you're going to be getting hooked around trees or brush a lot. If you're walking in a neighborhood, I think it's too long considering there's always at least a little traffic and you can never reel the dog back in fast enough from that distance if you REALLY need to.

There are also the belted vs cord versions. With the corded ones you have to be careful with the line, because it can and WILL give you a friction burn or even cut you if you get caught up when the dog's moving fast and hard for something. The belted versions are great, but they're a definite no-no if your dog EVER chews on the leash. It's much harder for dogs to chew on the cords since they're so skinny (doable but harder).

And strength-wise...I guess I'm overly cautious. I stick with the weight recommendations from the company. I'd never use less than a "medium" with a BC or equal-size breed. Smaller might work fine, but why tempt fate?

If you're walking on trails, 26 feet means you're going to be getting hooked around trees or brush a lot.

Maybe so for your average dog, but I have found it very easy to train border collies to stay on the trail and avoid going around the opposite side of obstacles from me. In the rare cases when it happens, all I have to do is get the dog's attention and they reliably retrace their steps back around the obstacle without further instruction.

And strength-wise...I guess I'm overly cautious. I stick with the weight recommendations from the company. I'd never use less than a "medium" with a BC or equal-size breed. Smaller might work fine, but why tempt fate?

Well, I don't use a flexi-leash, but I do use tie out chains since I don't have a fenced yard. Yeah, I have my 45lb BC on a cable rated for 125+lb dogs from experience.

Archived