BC Boards

What fruits and veggies are bad for dogs

I've also heard that avocado can cause problems, but I don't know if that's true or not.

The information available is a bit unclear, but the skin and pit are said to be poisonous. The flesh may be OK.

My dogs love most fruit, but especially pears, papaya and watermelon. They are also eager to eat broccoli, and baked sweet potato. I give them scraps and leftovers of almost any vegetable dish that doesn't have onion in it. That includes highly spiced Indian dishes.

Found this on a website:

Two vegetables that should be avoided are garlic and onions, since they're known to cause anemia in dogs if consumed in high enough concentration. Other vegetables that can potentially have adverse effects on dogs include avocados, tomatoes, and wild mushrooms.

The other problem with feeding vegetables to dogs is they may have problems digesting them. To make them more digestive system friendly, it is recommended that you cook them by steaming in a steamer. Using the steam method will preserve more of the healthy nutrients and phytochemicals than most other cooking methods will. If your dog appears hesitant to eat the vegetables you place in his bowl, try pureeing them in a blender before adding them to his food bowl. Limit vegetables to no more than a quarter of your dog's food intake a day and serve them along with a high quality source of protein.

Sugarfoot loves baked yam - especially if there's a little butter involved. Me too! She also likes butter lettuce and red-leaf lettuce. Carrots are also taken if they are cooked - no interest in raw ones. And on the rare occasion that I indulge in french fries, she always wolfs a couple.

All my dogs love broccoli and cauliflower...but the funniest thing to watch is my little ironman Zachary....HE LOVES green peas! He will dance his 'zacharina' for us just to get some green peas :rolleyes:

Annie's favorite is baby carrots, especially if they've been cooked in the same pot as a brisket, leg of lamb, or pot roast. She also will eat a wide variety of other cooked veggies, again with particular relish if they have been cooked with the meat; she is not that enthusiastic about turnips, however.

All my dogs love broccoli and cauliflower...but the funniest thing to watch is my little ironman Zachary....HE LOVES green peas! He will dance his 'zacharina' for us just to get some green peas :D

LOL! I just found out yesterday that Lacee LOVES peas. A few fell off my plate and she gobbled them down. There aren't many veggies she'll eat, so I was pleasantly surprised. :rolleyes:

Rhys bach will eat kitchen paper towels if there is "a little butter involved"!

Rievaulx does not even need butter to make tissues and paper towel a treat, he actively steals them and then slowly enjoys eating them, oddly he is my second border collie to enjoy this delicacy. Drier sheets are also desirable and he has learned to try and steal them when there are clean clothes in a basket. Thanks for the info on veggies, I knew there were some that are bad.

No disagreement with most of what's been posted. Re carrots: if you just feed them to the dog (many LOVE them), you will note, if you are, um, observant, that raw carrots, even chewed well are not completely digested. I guess some fiber is good, but they'd get more good stuff out of them if they are slightly cooked, and especially if they are "mulched" in a food processor (which makes this a nice thing if you're including them in a meal, and a real PITA if you're looking for a quick treat!).

I seem to remember that citrus fruit isn't that great - but an occasional nibble surely wouldn't hurt. Mine love most green vegies, all kinds of potatoes, apples, blueberries, bananas, melon & the occasional bit of peach or nectarine. All of those are good!

diane

Rhys bach will eat kitchen paper towels if there is "a little butter involved"!

Paper in itself is a treat for Samantha. We have to be very careful of leaving any paper at all where she can get it. She's eaten bills, paper towels, kleenex, etc. Butter is a good thing, but paper is wonderful!

Ruth

Rievaulx does not even need butter to make tissues and paper towel a treat, he actively steals them and then slowly enjoys eating them, oddly he is my second border collie to enjoy this delicacy. Drier sheets are also desirable and he has learned to try and steal them when there are clean clothes in a basket. Thanks for the info on veggies, I knew there were some that are bad.

OMG my puppy loves dryer sheets too!!! She is constantly looking around for them. I must take at least one out of her mouth a day!

Paper in itself is a treat for Samantha. We have to be very careful of leaving any paper at all where she can get it. She's eaten bills, paper towels, kleenex, etc. Butter is a good thing, but paper is wonderful!

Ruth

Tommy eats books - just about any kind. I think there must be something in the paste. And she also likes the paper. I have to be really careful with my books because If I forget and leave one it will be shredded when I get home.

If I have unwanted guests to leave quickly, I will give Tess some cauliflower and broccoli. She produces gas that makes you eyes water. When she does snag those vegies, she sleep in the office.

I give my dogs fruit and vegies that are safe for the dogs. Often Shiro (when she was alive, obvioulsy) and Tess would graze on the raspberries. They will clean out the entire rows in one sitting. Now, my raspberries are behind chicken wire. Now, Tess stops then thinks about it for a second, before she hops over the fence. First, she will look to see if I am in sight and if I am not around, over she goes. I can see her from the front window and just let her. Oh well, she earned them.

Archived