BC Boards

AZ Owners: Anyone know this rancher?

I have mixed feelings over this one...it sounds like the owner spent some time training the horse and though I"m not familiar with the QH lines anymore, mentioning the lineage must mean something so the horse has some value over $500. It is a sorry fact of life that horses will kick dogs. I mourn the loss of the dog but the person is mad at the horse for acting like a horse (at probably at themself for letting it happen) and is potentially setting the horse up for an abusive situation as well...the owner is essentially saying take the d...n thing and shoot it and that's what bothers me.

It is sad that the BC was killed.

It is also sad that the woman wants to get rid of this horse so badly. I don't know much about horses, but do horses just go charging after a dog to kill it? Was the dog left unattended with the horse? Was the dog harassing the horse? It seems like the owner shouldn't have let the dog and horse enter a situation where this could occur in the first place.

It is just a sad situation and I'm left wondering if it could have been avoided.

I've known horses that are out to kill dogs and will come charging across a pasture to stomp one. Even a dog that is just crossing a corner of the pasture and is not bothering the horse at all. On the flip side I know some horses that will all but allow a dog to play tug with their tails and are soooo tolerant.

I feel very bad for this woman. I can see how she wants to get rid of the horse though. A friend of mine accidentally left her beloved border collie in her truck in the summer in AL. Needless to say he died. She had just gotten through a round of chemo and was so sick and was out of her mind from the meds and just completely forgot the dog was in the truck. She never drove that truck again and sold it as soon as she could. She just couldn't stand to see it, it brought back all the memories of the dog and what happened. So I can understand how she wants to rehome the horse. Whether the dog was harassing the horse or whatever happened, she may just feel that her home isn't the place for the horse anymore. Better to be sold than to be ignored and/or disliked.

I keep the term "border collie" on the Phoenix Craigslist bookmarked to watch for BCs being given up by their owners. I then pass the info on to ABCR. This came up today:

Quarterhorse for sale

I read through looking for the key word and it about broke my heart.

I do know the breeding, it's a nice line of cutters. That said if this lady is on the ball since she is in the same state as the horse's breeder, she should consider contacting them. If the horse is any good at all I would think they could find a buyer for her.

I understand her knee jerk reaction but for me the guilt would focus more on myself than the horse as untimately that is where the responsibility lies. I have 18 horses on my ranch as well as 5 border collies. They do not interact. It is possible that the dog just happened to walk behind a tied horse which kicked the dog and that would be just plain bad luck. An accident. I do have to pay more attention to my 13 yr old border collie, as I think her reasoning is not as good as it used to be and she is hard of hearing. Maybe something like this was the case. I guess we all react differently to situations, but I know I would be mad at myself and not the horse. I would find it harder to look into the mirror than look at the horse in question.

Carolyn

Spot on Carolyn. Ive had horses and collies for years, and if one of my dogs were injured, or worse by a horse, Id have to say the blame would fall on me.

Yep, I have horses and dogs (and they are frequently all out together, with me of course) and should one of my dogs get hurt by my horse, it would totally be my responsibility. While two of my horses don't mind the dogs and ususally don't pay attention to them, my Paint horse ( I think he may have been harassed by dogs in a previous home) will lay his ears back if the dogs come too close, so I always pay close attention, and make sure the dogs stay clear of him. There's a reason I've never had a coyote problem ;-) (and they are all over this area, and loud!) but not in my pasture...and I'm sure it's because of the horses....

Something I don't get... Why is it ok to sell horses, sheep, goats, etc on Craig's list but not dogs or cats? Why the double standard? Many people view their horses as pets, so it shouldn't be a pet vs livestock issue. Animals are animals. They need a certain standard of care and should never be purchased on a whim.

Liz it IS a pet/livestock issue though..horses are livestock..some may treat them as pets, but they ARE livestock. I have a cow that I raised..she is very much a pet and even will give kisses..doesnt matter what I personaly view her as..she is livestock. :rolleyes:

I wasnt able to see the ad..it was flagged..my old heeler got kicked in the face by my horse..he even had to go to the emergency room at the vet clinic and get stiches to sew his face back on. I didnt blame the horse..

Now, if the horse in question delibertly sought out and attempted to kill ANY dog..I might take issue with that..same way it would be an issue with a dog seeking out and harassing livestock..all animals have to co exisit on my place..in a semi peaceful manner.

I know that legally they are livestock. My point is that all animals (dogs, cats, horses, cattle, etc) need fresh food, clean water and an appropriate environment. I don't think it is fair for livestock to be sold without thought to their welfare as if they are machines. If the creators of Craig's list don't feel it is safe to sell dogs and cats they shouldn't allow the sale of livestock either. That is my own opinion and you can certainly disagree.

Would you mind telling me how you bookmark the term "border collie" on CL?

I would like to do the same thing. (I also work with ABCR)

thanks.

Just go to the CL site of coice; Tucson, Phoenix.... then search using the term Border Collie. When you have the list, hit the button to save that page to your "favorites", "bookmarks" etc. Every time you come back in you will have the latest listings. This is also a great way to keep an eye on CL for other stuff you might need.

PS: I don't work for ABCR but I hope to convince my family to become fosters when Cerbie gets to be 1 - 2 years old.

Archived