BC Boards

Do you look at lines in a workingbred pup?

Im curious, as a horse breeder, we look ALOT at lines when we are looking at a "prospect"

Do "lines"..like second and third generation, not just parents, make a big difference to people looking to trial the dog in the future? or will parents who have proven themselves on stock suffice in a pup?

I hope this question makes sense.

Sarah

Im curious, as a horse breeder, we look ALOT at lines when we are looking at a "prospect"

Do "lines"..like second and third generation, not just parents, make a big difference to people looking to trial the dog in the future? or will parents who have proven themselves on stock suffice in a pup?

I hope this question makes sense.

Sarah

I don't buy many pups or dogs other than when I need a new outcross female for the breeding program but I do definitely pay very close attention to "lines" or pedigree. After all, it's not just the genes of the sire and dam that enter into what's produced in the pups, genetics is much grander than that and much more complicated than that. If it were that simple breeding would be much less of a crap shoot. There is a lot of criteria that goes into choosing a bitch or a dog to breed to or choosing a pup from one litter as compared to the other and most of it is a personal choice as to your values and requirements of the dog in question. Studying pedigrees can be a life long ambition or chore, depending on how you look at it, but just looking at champions won't usually get you where you want to be. Therer are some great dogs out there that never really reached their potential, strictly due to not being handled properly or for various other reasons and some never even got trialled much for one reason or another but it pays to talk to some folks in the know as to the character of dogs in which you may be interested for breeding or pups to determine their qualities. I could go on and on here but I think you get the drift of the way I feel about it. This is one question that probably should be put in one of the general border collie sections for others to offer their opinions. Bob

Thank you Bob.

Was mainly curious if most folks looked past the sire and dam..into actual lines..i cant seem to find the resources on successful bc lines like i can on horses..i love researching lines and learning about them.

Again, thanks for the info..i will talk with some bc trainers in my area, and of course, watch any trials, to learn all that i can.

Thank you Bob.

Was mainly curious if most folks looked past the sire and dam..into actual lines..i cant seem to find the resources on successful bc lines like i can on horses..i love researching lines and learning about them.

Again, thanks for the info..i will talk with some bc trainers in my area, and of course, watch any trials, to learn all that i can.

There's lots of good books out there if you are trying to study some of the background of our breed; i.e. Blue Ribands of the Heather, first and second edition, Barbara Carpenter has some good ones and Roy Goutte has a couple out also. These are just a few of the ones of which I know and I'm sure there are lots more.......Bob

Archived