BC Boards

How to become a Big Hat

I liked the article until I read the last paragraph. Let me quote:

"With all this talk about talent, it's easy to forget one thing. While I love watching someone who is terrific at what they do and I also know the great feeling of accomplishing something difficult, it's too easy to let admiration of such skills overshadow less visible attributes — like kindness and generosity. While I may marvel at great achievers, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to live in a world full of them." (emphasis added)

What a slam to a broad group of folks. In my experience, high achievers are quite willing to share, mentor, and teach. There are always the exceptions. Those that rise to the top have the opportunity to be role models, and in most cases they are. They show kindness, generosity of spirit, and understanding to the world and to those who aspire to greatness. Hey, I'd like my world populated with the best.

I believe that leaders are made, not born. They develop themselves by continued sweat, long hours, education and perseverance. They work hard, play hard, and enjoy life.

Hats...OK for the rain/snow, but for me, they are too confining and hot. -- Kind Regards, TEC

Well said.

• 3 months later...

When I work a talented dog that gets boared with drill but rises to the accasion in real pratical work it makes me ponder. I hold so much value in both trialing and practical work. Trialing to expose the elete and practical work to show, that which takes hours to witness/or the rare oportunity- but is rarely shared with others.