BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
JaderBug

To charge or not to charge?

I love shooting dogs- photographically, of course. I've taken pictures of some friends' dogs and had a blast doing it- they get some great photos of their dogs, I get experience and everyone has a good time. Lately, I've had people telling me I should be charging for photo shoots. I've also had people ask me how much I charge for a photo session.

Thing is, I'm having a blast and I don't feel like I've been at this long enough to be charging people for photos and such. I would love to do something like this for extra money in the future. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I start charging or should I continue to have fun and charge down the road?

4435361300_4ec005c864.jpg

PS- the snow melted!!!

4433034711_998a49457d.jpg

Recently moved... our new local park kicks our old park's butt!

4477459005_9dc5496e91.jpg

I LOVE my new green office... :-)

4455693526_0ab62e4a3c.jpg

...and a little "awww" for your day, an Aussie puppy, Miss Kitty! my favorite picture from this photo shoot...

4442553260_478a42e679.jpg

What about charging a lower rate? I took Z to a studio in a pet supply store that's just starting to offer photo shoots on site and got a CD of images I can use on my new training business website and a 8x10 of one shot for $55 - totally a steal!

Maggie Dog's right. Start charging now. You can charge below market for now (which, for pet photography is all over the map) and gradually raise your prices. Look at the back of BARk magazine. And be sure to sign your work.

I love the green office picture! Great pictures- I agree... make some money off your hobby, your photos are excellent.

Take photos and show people proofs. If they want to buy prints they can, no pressure. That would be my solution.

Charging a little bit would be a great way to save up extra $$ for new lenses etc. Know what I mean?! However, Geonni is right, pet photography is all over the map. Some studios offer different packages, like prints, small photo books, calendars etc. CD's or the memory card of the shoot. The only issue is that the CDs or memory cards are the images as is usually, no post processing in photoshop or the like. If you don't process any of your images that's not a worry. Personally, I like to edit my photos to emphasize the colours and mood, a bit, but I can be very experimental. So, what I suggest is to think of a base price that you need to make to cover your time and your gas at the least, then decided if you want to offer any extras. If there is printing involved, make sure you mark it up same as CD's and DVD's or the memory card and make sure you are covered for any time post processing. Also, for things like photo books, iphoto does amazing books for a decent price, but they take a couple of weeks to do. Blacks Photography (I don't know if this is in the US or not) is starting to offer photo books as well and I don't think they take very long to get back. Of course, you're not doing this full time for your bread and butter, so you don't really need to think about marking stuff up etc. and charging for any extra time, but make sure you at least get paid enough to cover your expenses with a little extra.