BC Boards

Looking for a trainer near southern Rhode Island

alligande

Check out NEBCA (North-East Border Collie Assn) and see if there are folks listed within a reasonable distance of you.

In general, avoid all-breed trainers, AKC trainers, and folks who don't have any business putting themselves up as trainers. Look for a well-respected, successful, USBCHA Open-level handler.

Best wishes finding a good one!

Sadly there is no one within a reasonable distance, I was hoping on the off chance that someone might have an idea. I already drive an hour each way for agility, and due to the age of my truck I do try keep my mileage down. The problem is that once I start I am sure I will get hooked and so do not want to start out driving to far. Occasional long trips are fine it is just weekly training that I am trying to be good about.

You could try looking at www.northeastherdinginfo.com . There are quite a few trainers in CT. Some are all-breed trainers, but it would at least give you and your dog an opportunity to try working stock, to see if it is something you want to pursue.

Glenn

I would like to reiterate with Sue said. Choose a trainer who is doing the type of work you want to do with your own dog. People who offer training in various venues (other than stockwork) in addition to stockwork aren't likely to be experts (jacks of all trades and all that). People who focus on AKC aren't likely to be able to help you train your dog for work in large, open fields, and so on. I'd be inclined to get a start, even if it's just once a month, with someone like Carol Campion. You'll still make progress, even with once-a-month lessons. Once you have been exposed to what good work and good training look like, then you might have a better chance of being able to decide if there are any more local trainers who would be suitable for you and your dog. As Don McCaig said (in this thread or another, don't remember), you (and especially your dog) will gain *much more* from less frequent training sessions with a good, experienced trainer than you will from more-frequent lessons with a poor trainer. And you won't have to worry about bad habits or poor training becoming ingrained.

J.

I don't disagree with Sue, Julie or Donald. I was just trying to offer an alternative to giving up the pursuit all together. What is your goal with your dog; farm work, trialing, a challenging activity for you and your dog to enjoy?

Glenn

Archived