BC Boards

My Jazzman.......

KrisK

We just got back from the vet. I've opted to have his spleen removed since the mass is not as large as the vet first thought (that's the good news). The bad news, he does have small spots in his lungs but not a lot. It did not appear that the liver has been affected but I guess surgery will tell us that.

So, he will be heading into surgery next Tuesday and I'll be asking for lots and lots of this great board mojo. In the meantime, I do plan to spoil him - he deserves it.

Both of my dogs lasted 10 days from diagnosis. The first had cardiac hemangiosarcoma, and it was actually the heart failure that prompted me to PTS. He already had mets in his lungs, liver and spleen. The second dog had a primary tumor in his liver with mets in his spleen. He had 2 episodes of acute bleeding. I PTS when he had the second bleed. With mets already confirmed I knew that neither dog had long and decided not to do surgery. In both of their cases removing the primary tumor would have been next to impossible anyway because of location.

If you do decide to go forward with the spleenectomy you might want to have it done sooner rather than later. They can bleed and go into shock at any time.

I'm very, very sorry, Kris. I lost my good Spot dog at age 11 to this. The symptoms do come on so suddenly. He was bleeding out, they stabilized him, I had them go in for a look but he had lesions all through his liver so I told them to euthanize while he was on the table. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Jazz.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and wishes. It looks like the bleeding has slowed down a fair amount since Jazz's gums are now pink again. The vet was pleased to see that. Tonight, he grabbed his frisbee and seemed quite unhappy when I wouldn't throw it for him. Hopefully, removing the spleen will give him some good quality time.

To all of you who have lost a faithful dog to this disease, I'm sorry for bringing back those unhappy memories. They will always live in our hearts.

My girl was just shy of her 14th birthday when she was diagnosed. She had been pretty uncomfortable for close to a week. She did have the surgery and the vet removed her spleen along with a 4lb tumor that was making it very difficult for her to breathe. She came home a day and a half after surgery. The vet said he'd never seen such a tough old gal. I don't regret the surgery. But she only lasted another two weeks. For a week and a half she did very well. She seemed comfortable, she ate (whatever she wanted), she slept easy. She could breathe again. She was happy. We took some short walks and she even played lightly. But towards the end of the second week you could see she was going down hill fast. We made the decision and had the vet come out to the house and we said our goodbyes. I don't say any of this to dissuade you. I was terrified at the prospect of surgery on an almost 14 year old but I knew it was the right choice for us. Only you know what is right for you and Jazz. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

We've had quite a few live another 1-2 months after surgery. The longest was just over a year (no mets when we checked). A lot of people decide to euthanize on the table if it has spread into the liver when we go in to do the exploratory.

Good strong healing thoughts coming your way.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and wishes. It looks like the bleeding has slowed down a fair amount since Jazz's gums are now pink again. The vet was pleased to see that. Tonight, he grabbed his frisbee and seemed quite unhappy when I wouldn't throw it for him. Hopefully, removing the spleen will give him some good quality time.

To all of you who have lost a faithful dog to this disease, I'm sorry for bringing back those unhappy memories. They will always live in our hearts.

I have lived quite happily without a spleen since I was 19. I was having some liver surgery and the docs decided that my spleen was living in a bad neighbourhood.

Hopefully, the mass is small enough to be removed and buy Jazz some happy days. Even more importantly, it will give Kris some time to get used to the idea that Jazz is leaving. This has been a terrible shock.

Kris has always supported everyone on this board with any issue that they've faced. She is a terrific lady and Jazz is a wonderful dog.

Lets help Kris and Jazz with the best board mojo we can muster.

Just saw this. I'm so sorry. This is what killed my Petey 5 yrs. ago. He was fine in the morning. Several hours later he was down. It was that quick. The only thing I regret is keeping him alive as long as I did, but it happened so fast, I couldn't comprehend losing him.

You know. Now you can make the most of your time with him.

I would imagine that is what kirby had in his mouth although our vet also considered melinoma but, it has a huge bloody looking tumor that appeared very suddenly. My vet was sure it had spread and it really wasnt removable due to the area of the mouth. Kirby was 12. It was a hard decision. I opted to take him home for a while and make his days the best I could.

So far, Jazz seems to be responding well to the prednizone. His gums are nice and pink and he's got more energy. I'm doing my best to keep him relatively quiet until Tuesday when he has the surgery. In the meantime, he's getting a lot of special attention. Thanks to all for the good thoughts, the PM's and mojo. This board is a lifeline in times like this.

Words can not begin to tell you how very sorry I am to hear this;-( I think I hate this cancer more than anything in the world ;-( I lost my Bob to it ;-( we had the splenctomy, Chemo...the works...(and he was 12 yrs old) Just heartbreaking. Huge Hugs to you and Jazz.

Betty

Archived