BC Boards

My Jazzman.......

KrisK

I'm still reeling from this news. I took Jazz in a little over a week ago for some bloodwork. I was concerned about his countersurfing, and voracious appetite. The bloodwork came back fine........

he had a bit of vomitting and diarrahea last Wednesday but I figured it might be from the egg he had eaten. He seemed fine, went for his walk, played frisbee. This afternoon, he staggered going into the house and then just flopped down. I checked his gums.........totally white. I contacted my vet but he was not available so I made an emergency trip to the vet that used to work for him. He checked Jazz, found a mass on his spleen and then used a needle in his abdominal wall - it came out with blood.

He's on prednisone now, - I could have surgery done, but what I've read so far, doesn't sound very hopeful.

Putting him through surgery might prolong his life........but it won't cure him.........He will celebrate his 11th birthday on April 17th.

Please send your best board mojo for my boy

I'm so sorry to hear this. My oldest is turning 11 next month, too. I know how devastated I would be to receive such news. Sending lots of mojo your way and wishing you and Jazz peace as you go through this difficult journey.

So sorry! Our old Mac succumbed to this at age 15. It was not an issue until quite close to the end, and it sounds like it has not been a big problem for Jazz so far, thank goodness.

Very best wishes for both of you in dealing with this.

Kris

A vet friend of mine had her dog in as a demo dog for ultrasound. They found a mass on his spleen. She opted to remove it. The dog has been fine since. The thing is, once the spleen is removed, thereby removing the blood loss, the dogs feel much better. No, it is not a cure, but it will give your boy good time.

Now, I don't know his details, so I can't suggest anything wrt treatment, but keep in mind that there are options. I would contact the vet and see what surgery will cost, and recovery time. Most vets think in terms of dollars, wrt what the owner will agree to, but ask anyway.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'm working from home today so I can see how he's feeling. Right now, he's with me in the office with Zachary snoring beside him. Zach's always been the one with health issues so getting this news about Jazz was so unexpected.

I'm going to call the vet today to see if there is a way we can find out if the cancer has spread. If it has, I won't have the spleen removed. I'd rather have Jazz all in one piece and able to enjoy the time he has left with short walks in the field and chowing down on his favourite foods.

He is my very first puppy - and while I made some terrible mistakes with him, he has grown up to be the most loveable boy....I can't think of how empty it will be without him.

Kris,

I'm so sorry to hear of this diagnosis. Give Jazzman a hug from us. I've often heard that unlike us, dogs don't know they're seriously ill and will carry on as usual as long as possible, which is a blessing. Try to stay as upbeat as possible since he'll pick up on your mood. Prayers for both of you.

Pam and Scooter

Kris,

I'm so sorry to hear of this diagnosis. Give Jazzman a hug from us. I've often heard that unlike us, dogs don't know they're seriously ill and will carry on as usual as long as possible, which is a blessing. Try to stay as upbeat as possible since he'll pick up on your mood. Prayers for both of you.

Pam and Scooter

Pam makes a couple really good points, Kris. Our heartfelt best wishes coming to you and Jazz...

Archived