BC Boards

A really tough stuffie

I know there's been discussions about toys before, and I've found the suggestions very helpful, but has anyone ever met a soft toy that a dedicated Border Collie can't shred? Robin loves his stuffies and until Ladybug and Brodie shredded his bunny and his lion, he was happy to just gum them, but now everything I give him ends up in pieces in about 30 seconds....the last thing I want him doing is swallowing more fabric....but he's so happy when I give him something soft and squishy....he doesn't even care if there's a squeaker in it.

Any suggestions for a really tough stuffie?

Liz

Scooter has ripped apart his share of stuffed toys but one day DH came home with something called a Fat Hedz stuffed dog. They come in different colors (he has all of them by now). They've held up really well so far; he shakes them and growls at them and bites them and licks them and cuddles up with them at night when he's ready to turn in. :rolleyes: I can even toss them in the washer when they get too disgusting! :D There's a Fat Hedz site so you can see what is available or you can order on line if there aren't any in your area. :D

Chase dissects everything in a matter of minutes and for some odd reason, he hasn't dissected the Bow Wow Beanie Collection toys (Ty Beanie Baby for dogs). We have 3 of them and he's never even started a dissection on any of them. I don't think they are constructed particulary tough either. Maybe better quality than some dog toys. They are on the small side and do have a squeaker and crunchy stuff in them. Maybe it's just Chase, don't know why these toys have remained intact for a 2 years now.

There used to be a company called Bamboo who made very basic stuffies that were pretty hard to shred, I would Goo_gle that. They also make "stuffing-less" toys, they are not stuffed at all but instead are just fake fur...my dogs actually like them a lot and don't do much damage.

I forget the brand, but the toys are red and black and they are tested on lions, Toby is the king of shred and he has yet to destroy this one and it's been since Christmas.

I hate to even say this, but the AKC also has a brand of toys out that while soft Toby doesn't shred them.

Tim

Chase dissects everything in a matter of minutes and for some odd reason, he hasn't dissected the Bow Wow Beanie Collection toys (Ty Beanie Baby for dogs). We have 3 of them and he's never even started a dissection on any of them. I don't think they are constructed particulary tough either. Maybe better quality than some dog toys. They are on the small side and do have a squeaker and crunchy stuff in them. Maybe it's just Chase, don't know why these toys have remained intact for a 2 years now.

My dog has a Beanie Octopus that has a squeaker and crunchy paper too. Actually that toy is on it's second dog. She loves mouthing the crunchy paper in the legs, but does not destroy the toy. And she's hell on wheels with a regular stuffie - pulls off ears, legs, eyes and pulls out all the fiberfill. My theory is that she likes ripping up regular stuffies because she likes the sound it makes when they rip, but even a little bite on those crinkly octopus legs yeilds a satisfying sound, so she isn't motivated to rip it up. Just guessing. But 3 years on the same toy with two destructo-dogs - gotta be something.

Her other two favorites are Blueiki (blue squeaky) and Monkey. Both need intervention and regular mending, but she loves them best. Fortunately they are cheap - 3 dollars or less for each. Blueiki came from PetSmart and Monkey came from Pet Food Express. Here they are waiting for emergency mending - Monkey needs an arm re-attached and Bluiki has a lacerated face and partly torn-off ear.

post-10533-1269621600_thumb.jpg

Probably this is not the best thread to brag about how gentle Ouzo is with his stuffies. He's had "Baby" since his 2nd birthday - it's actually a dog toy I bought from Petsmart, contrary to its flimsy appearance - and except one quick surgery my mom had to perform on Baby's neck and milk bottle last year, this toy is very much loved and munched on daily.

These shots were taken earlier this week.

4462563246_b8fcdd9fe7.jpg

Squeak it, squeak it hard :rolleyes:

4461789037_351b07c934.jpg

I forget the brand, but the toys are red and black and they are tested on lions, Toby is the king of shred and he has yet to destroy this one and it's been since Christmas.

I hate to even say this, but the AKC also has a brand of toys out that while soft Toby doesn't shred them.

Tim

Cerbie shreds the AKC toys. They're pretty tough but it takes him less than a day. Same with the ballistic nylon. He just gutted his duckie last night.

...funny thing though, he has two "sheep" that he plays with constantly, one from PetsMart and the other AKC, and he doesn't tear them up. May be the texture.

I don't buy stuffed toys anymore. If I decide to be all crafty I will cut up some old jeans. I cut off the legs, slit them down one side, roll them up and sew them back together with a thick thread or yarn. They aren't pretty but they last longer than stuffed toys and are basically free. You can even buy a bag of squeakers and add those if you really want to.

Cheap and easy and denim is tougher than normal stuffed toy material.

I don't buy stuffed toys anymore. If I decide to be all crafty I will cut up some old jeans. I cut off the legs, slit them down one side, roll them up and sew them back together with a thick thread or yarn. They aren't pretty but they last longer than stuffed toys and are basically free. You can even buy a bag of squeakers and add those if you really want to.

Cheap and easy and denim is tougher than normal stuffed toy material.

Thanks all for the suggestions....I'll try one or two and report back. For home made, denim might work...I tried chenille which was okay, but he worked loose the seam.....and Ouzo is just the most photogenic dog in the world!

My dog has a Beanie Octopus that has a squeaker and crunchy paper too. Actually that toy is on it's second dog. She loves mouthing the crunchy paper in the legs, but does not destroy the toy. And she's hell on wheels with a regular stuffie - pulls off ears, legs, eyes and pulls out all the fiberfill. My theory is that she likes ripping up regular stuffies because she likes the sound it makes when they rip, but even a little bite on those crinkly octopus legs yeilds a satisfying sound, so she isn't motivated to rip it up. Just guessing. But 3 years on the same toy with two destructo-dogs - gotta be something.

Too funny! I've had 2 of the Beanie dog toys since before Chase came along and those 2 toys withstood my GSD. He liked to dissect too but he also never dissected those. Weird. You may be right about the crunchy inside.

I came across those toys again at a drugstore before Christmas and bought 2 more. They also come out of the washer like new.

My oldest pup Nanuke LOVES stuffed toys too. When he was my only pup years ago he had probably 10 of them he would pile up and lay on like a big pillow and this one green dog would always be under his paw like it was his baby. It was so cute. Then we brought home his new little sister and she was the queen of toy destruction. I can honestly say poor Nanuke was so upset as he watched all his babies get torn to bits. Now Crunchy destroys them just as fast as our girl did. When Nanuke does get a stuffed toy he will lick it, love on it and sleep with it for hours.

Archived