BC Boards

Where does your BC sleep?

Kit has sleeped in her kennel since we got her. Our Old English beside our bed, free to walk around at night. We decided to let Kit out of her kennel last night. :rolleyes: Oh Boy! She jumped up on the bed gave thousands of kisses, jumped down, up, down, up...you get the picture...back into the kennel. We thought we would give it a try. Just wondering if any of your pups are able to sleep calmly through the night beside you?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to keep Sydney crated during the night (we also do during the day), but she took a particular liking to Sarah's dog bed. We tried letting her sleep on the dog bed all night (with our bedroom door closed). It only took one night of correcting her from jumping up on our bed, and then she understood that she is supposed to stay on the dog bed all night. We got a second dog bed, and it's great. Nights are fine with both of them....mornings are another story.

P1010027.jpg

~Kelly

We always crate train our dogs as pups. They learn to go in there for bedtime and either there or into the backyard when I have to go to town or something. Once they're housebroken and beyond the chewing stage though I pack away the crates and they basically have the run of the house (except that my daughter's room and her playroom are gated off because her toys are strewn everywhere). We have 2 pet beds in the bedroom that they share (it's funny to see Noah trying to fit into the smaller bed I bought for Lightning), plus Lightning will sleep on the bed with me when my husband's working nights, or until he comes home from a late shift. Lightning seems to be good about not getting on the bed when nobody's home, he just likes to share when I'm in it or on it. The new pups are of course still sleeping in their crate (they share a large one), and once they've graduted out of it I'll probably get more pet beds or pillows.

Riven sleeps beside me or my husband on the bed. But recently, she's taken to laying on a new plastic mat by the computer chair. All her toys have migrated there too. I dont know why she likes it so much. Unless its because its coincidentally, the cat sleeps there too.. :rolleyes::D She is in love with him I think.

Dally currently sleeps in a crate and Jewel sleeps with my daughter under the covers.

I am planning to redo the basement for Dally and the new pup so that Dal can run freely at night my husband supposedly has allergies @@ so no more dogs in our bed, bedroom or on the furniture. I personally think the allergist just gave him a reason to be cranky.

My shelties were on the bed within a few days of coming home. Quinn was about 6 months old before he was able to stay on the bed (mostly) during the night instead of diddy bopping around the room. He's still a restless sleeper and will spend some time on the floor, but it?s to sleep not to look for trouble. I was so happy to get him out of his crate during the night exactly because of his restlessness. His crate is metal and he often woke me up in middle of the night when he'd get up and turn around in it.

They sleep?!? :eek:

j/k :rolleyes:

Dublin has free range of the house now - he has been out of the crate now for about 6 months. He has never been one to sleep on my bed - I think because the cats have already claimed it and he can't even envision sleeping so close to them.

He has decided to claim the guest bed (yes, I know - he's not spoiled at all, is he?)

This only becomes an issue when I have guests staying over - he spends the night pacing back and forth and staring at the door until he finally gives up around 3am and lays down on one of his dog beds. As soon as it is morning and the guest bedroom door opens, he zips in there and curls up blissfully on the bed.... :D

6 month old River is still crated at night and while we're not home. Our dogs are not allowed on carpeted surfaces in our home (hubbie's rule - hates dog hair everywhere) which only keeps them out of bedrooms and the one formal living room as rest of house is hardwood.

But I have let River sleep on my bed (carried her to it, so she wouldn't have to step on the 'no,no' carpet, while the hubbie was away for 2 weeks. She did GREAT. Settled right down and instead of whinning from her crate for morning potty run, she came and licked my face. She never left the bed - but of course, she's also trained not to step on the carpet.

My older dog has free rein of the house and River will too one day. Jaida moves around the house, but often sleeps on our old futon in the family room - the only furniture the dogs are allowed on. I also have a little mat outside my bedroom door and that is often occupied in the am.

Sammie sleeps on the bed. In the winter he sleeps under the covers - head and all! He will wake me up in the middle of the night if he is having difficult burrowing under on his own!

Maddie also sleeps on the bed. She likes to curl up by my pillow.

Speedy has his own bed on the floor right by me. He always starts out there and usually stays there until morning. But every now and then he is on the bed by morning wherever he finds a spot.

Originally posted by Joan:

Dhu sleeps in the bathtub.

That's just too funny! At leastyou don't have to worry about tripping over her when you take a bathroom break in the middle of the night!

Mine sleep in the bedroom as follows:

Twist: under the bed, though sometimes she gets on the bed and sometimes she sleeps in a wicker Moses basket.

Jill: Under the bed. Jumps on the bed when the alarm goes off so she can stare at whatever cat happens to be sleeping with me.

Willow: In a wicker basket (a different basket) on a dog pillow.

Boy: In his closet cubby hole under the stairs (yes, his nickname is "The Boy Who Survived")

Kat: In the closet with Boy (but not in the cubbyhole part under the stairs), or sometimes on a dog bed in the bedroom.

Farleigh: In his crate with the door open.

Lark: In a crate with the door closed.

J.

Shih tzus - sleep on the bed, well, on my head really.

Dazzle - usually in her crate, but if she is being good and calm outside the crate on a dog bed/in the bed. She does actually sleep though, even if she IS on the bed! Although, she tends to kick a stretch until everyone else has fallen off the bed! :rolleyes:

Scout sleeps on the trundle with whichever twin is there(we have a bunk/full/trundle bed that sleeps 4 kids) If he gets hot he sleeps in the very short hall between our room and where the kids sleep. He always stays in the living room on the couch until the last person goes to bed, then he goes to bed. I told him his first day to stay out of my room and he stays out. Once in a while he asks to come in, but never at nite. He has free reign of the house without problems.

Brodie always slept at the head of our bed.. pretty much on our pillows, since she was 14 weeks old. Now, she's almost 7 months, and she's too big for the head of the bed. When we're getting ready for bed she will sleep on the bed. Then when we get in it, she hops down onto the floor. Halfway thru the night, she will wonder into her crate. The other night her crate door was closed accidently, and she woke us up at 1am whining cuz she wanted in. So we opened it, and went back to bed. She sleeps in there right until we wake up, and take her out.

We have also trained her that when we need her in her crate, we just say "Brodie Crate" and she goes running in. We never send her there when she's been bad.

My dogs have never been allowed in my bed as this is where my cats sleep!

They use to sleep in crates in their own room but now they don't have crates because they dont have their own room. I have a variety of expensive, thoughtfully picked out dog beds scattered around the apartment. They usually can be found a) asleep on the hard floor :rolleyes: on my sofa or c) in the bathroom. Except Tweed who loyally sleeps on a bed beside my bed every night.

RDM

Kessie sleeps wherever the temperature is right.

Since it gets very cold here in winter and I can't sleep with the window closed, she has a crate that is covered with a warm blanket and has another warm blanket inside. If it's not cold enough for that or she needs a stretch, she'll lie on/next to/between my feet.

Guest amylobdell24

Kenna sleeps on the pillow next to my head. She wasn't always quiet in bed, but settled down to a routine at about 5 months old. I also give her a couple chews right as we climb in- something she can munch on and be still for a little while. This seems to help get her in bedtime mode and gives her a minute to recognize the sleep routine. She never wakes me up at night now unless she's sick or something.

I live in a dog house.

My dogs, except for puppy Mattie, have free run of their dog house. Mattie is in a crate during the day while I'm at work.

At night, they are nice enough to share their very large queen size pillow top dog bed with me. I do fight for my fair share of the covers and at least half of a pillow. Ellie usually hogs the pillow and ends up sleeping on my head. Mattie usually sleeps under the covers. Pepper feels the need to sleep right on top of me. Lucie, at 120 pounds, takes up the end of the bed. She doesn't stay on the bed all night because she gets too hot. She'll end up in the bathroom to sleep on the floor.