BC Boards

Does anyone here use Revolution?

Tommy Coyote

I think and hope that this is the last health issue we have to deal with after Tommy's bout with auto immune disease - polyarthritis. She has sarcoptic mange - the result of a suppressed immune system.

Vet has me using Revolution on both of my dogs. He said that the usual treatment is high dose Ivermectin but he doesn't want to go that route with a border collie.

I think, but I haven't checked this out yet, that Revolution is selamectin. It won't be here for 3 or 4 days since I had to order it thru PetMed. I've been washing the itchy areas with tea tree oil and that seems to be helping - just until the Revolution gets here.

Ask your vet about using Promeris for treatment, where I work they use it as a treatment for sarcoptic mange, Applied every two weeks when using for mange treatment.

I have used it as a flea treatment on several border collies with no adverse reactions.

I've used Revolution as a flea/heartworm treatment for three years at least - and it is selamectin. I know most agree that Ivermectin is safe for BCs, but there are studies that show that enough collies and BCs have exhibited reactions that made me think it was the best choice for my gang. (And I do order it from PetMeds).

Liz

Ask your vet about using Promeris for treatment, where I work they use it as a treatment for sarcoptic mange, Applied every two weeks when using for mange treatment.

I have used it as a flea treatment on several border collies with no adverse reactions.

A friend of mine used that on her young border collie for demodectic mange and he had a horrible reaction to it. He had some kind of siezure and when she found him in the morning he couldn't even stand up. So she washed it off as best she could and got him up to the clinc - she works there - and I think it took him a good couple of days to come out of it.

After that I am afraid to go that route.

I think maybe she is kind of getting some better on her own now that her immune system is functioning normally again. But if I take her off the prednisone she starts scratching like crazy so she is taking that for at least a little while longer. Its mainly on one ear and on her back legs so I just keep washing those areas with tea tree oil.

That's what the holistic vets use for demodectic mange. Not for use on cats - its terribly toxic for cats.

There was a thread on this just last December:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=26922

Best of luck!

Thanks. That was very helpful. And it sounds like our prognosis is good. The info said to reapply the Revolution after two weeks so I will check on that.

I have no idea where she could have picked this up. She is never around other dogs since she has auto immune disease. I wonder if my older dog might have had some mites - just never got bad enough to notice. She is itching some but not much but I will treat her, too.

Guest echoica

We have been using Revolution on both dogs and cats for years as a preventative and I have never seen a flea or had mites *knock on wood*! Needless to say, I like the product so far :rolleyes:

Do you really want to apply this type of toxin to a dog with auto-immune issues? Past or present, I think it will send her system into the tank once again. If it was my dog, there's no way on earth "any" of these treatments would be used.

I use it on my dogs in the summer. I've found it very effective for killing lice (which is more common around here than fleas). We've never had a patient with sarcoptic mange at the clinic I work at so not sure what our drug of choice would be.

Do you really want to apply this type of toxin to a dog with auto-immune issues? Past or present, I think it will send her system into the tank once again. If it was my dog, there's no way on earth "any" of these treatments would be used.

We have been using revolution for years (at least 10). We have 11 dogs and travel pretty well throughout North America, Canada and the US trialling. We use it for ticks, worms, heartworm, fleas and mites and it has always done the job extremely well. I have never had a dog sick from it and never had a tick live for more than a few minutes on a dog when treated with

Revolution. It is recognized by DEFRA as a heartworm preventative and tick a flea treatment and they have pretty stringent regulations in the UK. I would not ever hesitate to use it. Bob Stephens, RMS Border Collies, Kamloops, BC, Canada.

Tommy Coyote,

Although I do not believe that it addresses the use of avermectins for sarcoptic mange in dogs with autoimmune disorders, the sticky by Mark Billadeau and Denise Wall **HERE** at the top of this section speaks to the use of Heartguard, Revolution, and others specifically in border collies. It is very informative, and may be useful for you to read.

Karrin

I really thought Promeris was for demodectic mange... and revolution is for scabies... Promeris has been labeled for demodex only. but if your pet did have scabies how did it work for you? i work at a vets office and revolution is not offered at our facility so we never have "choices" of treatment when a scabies case comes in.

i would love to know how it worked for your clients.... :rolleyes:

We have been using revolution for years (at least 10). We have 11 dogs and travel pretty well throughout North America, Canada and the US trialling. We use it for ticks, worms, heartworm, fleas and mites and it has always done the job extremely well. I have never had a dog sick from it and never had a tick live for more than a few minutes on a dog when treated with

Revolution. It is recognized by DEFRA as a heartworm preventative and tick a flea treatment and they have pretty stringent regulations in the UK. I would not ever hesitate to use it. Bob Stephens, RMS Border Collies, Kamloops, BC, Canada.

Bob, this pup has been "very" sick for the past year or so, auto immune issues. While the product may be safe for a "healthy" dog I'd never place it on a dog in her condition (past or present).

Bob, this pup has been "very" sick for the past year or so, auto immune issues. While the product may be safe for a "healthy" dog I'd never place it on a dog in her condition (past or present).

I'm checking with the holistic people to see if they have anything that actually works. One thing I read said to give garlic - that mites hate the tast of garlic.

I have to do something here. Sarcoptic mange just gets worse over time as more of the body gets involved.

I've used promeris and it's some stinky stuff. Diffucult to get in Pa too. I think it caused more asthma attacks in owners.

We use quest for horses which is moxidectin on our dogs it's the active ingredient in advantage multi. there is a quest plus too for tapes but, it tastes funny and the dogs wont take easily.

I cant help on the revolution except to say that you need to use another wormer with it if your working on a farm with your dog. I think it's not effective against hooks?

edited to add that I wonder why stuff like elemite(human topical) wouldnt be more effective. that's used to treat and smother the mites it's left on for 8 hrs and then washed off.

I've used promeris and it's some stinky stuff. Diffucult to get in Pa too. I think it caused more asthma attacks in owners.

We use quest for horses which is moxidectin on our dogs it's the active ingredient in advantage multi. there is a quest plus too for tapes but, it tastes funny and the dogs wont take easily.

I cant help on the revolution except to say that you need to use another wormer with it if your working on a farm with your dog. I think it's not effective against hooks?

edited to add that I wonder why stuff like elemite(human topical) wouldnt be more effective. that's used to treat and smother the mites it's left on for 8 hrs and then washed off.

Wouldn't the dogs just try to lick it off? And it probably would be toxic if taken internally. I don't know- just guessing.

Marty Goldstein's book says that he has had sucess with Selsun Blue prescription shampoo. But when I looked that up it said that it should never be used on inflamed skin - so that's out. He uses dips - or he still did 10 year's ago when the book came out.

One interesting thing I read is that some vets think that a lot of sarcoptic mange cases are simply incorrectly diagnosed as allergies. Its hard to diagnose because the mites are hard to find and are often missed. So people with itchy dogs are given steroids. And one of the signs of sarcoptic mange is that steroids don't work very well to stop the itching - you have to give them every day. With regular allergies you only to have to give them once every few days and they work.

One article I read said that the diagnosis problem is so big that one of the big university vet schools won't take allergy patients to work with until they have had a course of Ivermectin to be sure it is not simply sarcoptic mange.

So I guess it is very common and missed a lot.

Sarcoptic mange is an easy diagnosis based on symptoms ime. . It does *not* have anything to do with the immune system other than in general that yes..the dog has an immune system and yes...the dog has sarcoptic mange. It is a parasite, plain and simple, and both healthy and sick dogs and people can get it.

Demodectic mange is immune driven. The dog has to be immunologically weak or stressed to become clinical with what is normally a benign parasite.

I'd want to know where my dog caught sarcoptic mange. Its not an isolated disease - it, like kids and head lice, likes groups. I haven't noticed you mention it here...but you do understand that you can catch this? I just had 2 friends who do rescue on the treatment.

I would not put the chemicals suggested here within 10 miles of a dog with the immune problems your's has. I sure as heck would find out who's spreading it around and insist they treat it at the source.

My vet and I wash dogs who can't take the typical chemical treatment in Earthbath Orange Peel shampoo, followed by a lemon juice or vinegar rinse to the worse areas. This is done several times a day, and coupled with quality food and addressing of the dogs general health concerns, has been completely successful. The dog is, for at least 1 week, kept in isolation and the handlers clothes go straight to a hot wash and all exposed skin is sprayed with a bleach or vinegar solution. I have no idea why it works, because I've reached the point with this vet that I just trust and do in areas like this.

I think maybe she is kind of getting some better on her own now that her immune system is functioning normally again. But if I take her off the prednisone she starts scratching like crazy so she is taking that for at least a little while longer.

A bit OT, I'm not quite following this. Prednisone suppresses the immune system, so it makes sense that her polyarthritis symptoms would be diminished while she's on prednisone. And of course the immune suppressive effect is how pred helps with itching issues. Has your vet said she'll be able to come off prednisone, or is it something she'll have to be on, at least periodically, throughout her life to help control the autoimmune symptoms?

J.

A bit OT, I'm not quite following this. Prednisone suppresses the immune system, so it makes sense that her polyarthritis symptoms would be diminished while she's on prednisone. And of course the immune suppressive effect is how pred helps with itching issues. Has your vet said she'll be able to come off prednisone, or is it something she'll have to be on, at least periodically, throughout her life to help control the autoimmune symptoms?

J.

No. She can come off the prednisone if I can just get her itching stopped. Her imuran is controlling her poly arthritis. Once the imuran kicks in (it can take 30 days) then they can get off the steroids. She is down to a half a tablet of imuran every 4 or 5 days now (she started out on 1 pill a day) and she has no signs of the poly arthritis coming back so far. The only thing I notice is that she sort of stretches her jaw every once in a while but it doesn't seem to hurt when she does it. Her jaw was the first joint that was affected by the disease. Vet thinks she may have some permanent damage to that joint or it could be because she lot most of the muscle on her head that controls her jaw. She should be off the imuran completely here very soon. Some dogs have to stay on a maintenence dose for the rest of their lives but she really is feeling good now. Her energy level is way up and she can stay outside and play and run and jump. It's important for her to get as much exercise as she possible can because she needs to rebuild her muscle mass. That disease caused a lot of loss of muscle. So I just let her run as long as she wants to. About three months ago the emergency room vet who I have known for years told me not to make an invalid out of her. Just to let her do whatever she wants. And I have really tried to do that. But I haven't had her around any other dogs. Only Ellie.

I really am having pretty good luck with the tea tree oil. I diluted some and have just been rubbing it into her skin wherever she itches. And she is lots better. I really want to get her off the steroids if I can. Long term use of prednisone is really not a good thing.

I am not too worried about the Revolution but I'm still checking into it. She has been on Sentinel and Vectra and has had no reaction at all. Vets don't think it was her shots that caused it. This stuff started nine months after her shots. I'm not sure but I think if she is on Revolution she won't have to be on any other parasite control.

My mom uses tea tree and neme oil to keep ticks and fleas away, and used it to successfully treat demodex mange. Don't know much more other than that, but my mom swears by neme oil for just about everything parasite related.

I read about that oil. It was one of the holistic products mentioned for sarcoptic mange. I will look into that tomorrow. Thanks.

My mom uses tea tree and neme oil to keep ticks and fleas away, and used it to successfully treat demodex mange. Don't know much more other than that, but my mom swears by neme oil for just about everything parasite related.

This is funny. I looked up Neem oil and the site that came right up was one for buying pot over the internet. Seems Neem oil is a great pesticide for spider mites on pot plants.

You can order your pot right there on the site. So I figure it's probably an FBI site where they are just waiting for suckers to sign up.

Archived