BC Boards

Dog beds?

I'm always on the look out for good dog beds and have been thinking we may need a few more once we move, so I thought I'd get the board's collective input. :rolleyes:

I need BC size beds that have removable covers for washing, come in a variety of colors (they must match our decor lol), and keep their shape relatively well. I'd also like to avoid cedar inside since the odor tends to give me headaches. I'm not opposed to spending a fair amount of $$ on a bed if it's a durable, nicely designed bed, but my maximum is about $70.

We currently have a basic pillow bed from Walmart, a memory foam bed from Target, a big egg crate foam one from Petsmart, a round one from Meijer in a Lands End cover, and a round bed from Drs. Fosters and Smith (I removed the cedar shavings). The most popular are the ones with enough stuffing to make a bit of a nest in the middle.

I've heard great things about the Costco beds but unfortunately they are packed with cedar shavings.

No suggestion, Erin - just wondering how do you get a dog to sleep in a dog bed if they don't like dog beds? :rolleyes: I have the nicest dog bed I can ask for - received as a gift for Ouzo from a friend - and unless I tell him to get in and sit and lay down and feed him treats, he doesn't wanna be there. He's never liked sleeping on a dog bed - on the day we brought him home we bought him a huge pillow-type one from Walmart and I don't think he's ever slept on it, not even one time. And now this one - has memory foam, beautiful, dark brown suede - even comes with its own little pillow and cover. He liked the pillow - he through it was a toy and played with it for a while looking for the squeaker. But I cannot convince him that sleeping in his bed is a very good thing.

just wondering how do you get a dog to sleep in a dog bed if they don't like dog beds? :D

Jealousy works wonders. Bribe a different dog or cat to lie down on it, and suddenly everyone wants that spot :rolleyes:

Kuranda-style beds (real or imitation - the main difference seems to be longevity) are pretty popular among my crew.

Guest echoica
Jealousy works wonders. Bribe a different dog or cat to lie down on it, and suddenly everyone wants that spot :rolleyes:

I second that...!!

26761_10150123298070118_795000117_11262613_4026622_n.jpg

There were 4 in the bed and the little one said...ROLL OVER!

Anda, Maggie doesn't really like the memory foam bed we have - I think it's because it's too firm. Z likes it so it gets used, but Maggie only uses it if all the other spots are full.

Too firm? Ha! Not firmer than the carpet he prefers laying on. Or the tile. But firmer than our bed and couches... I don't have a problem with him getting on the bed as long as he's clean, but I wish he'd use that darn dog bed :rolleyes:

Alaska - I'll take a certain Kelpie to test your theory. Will return him say, winter time?

Every now and then Costco will have beds that don't have the cedar shavings. They are a little fancier than the big round ones and a few bucks more, but still a great deal.

You just have to keep checking. They arrive and sell out pretty quickly.

I second the dog beds from Sam's Club. I have 3, 2 square pillow type beds and 1 round nest type bed. The stuffing is recycled plastic bottles so it makes me feel ecologically good. The covers are removable and very attractive, microsuede in beautiful colors. Guests always comment on how nice they look and how they don't look like traditional dog beds. I've had the square ones for 4 years now and the covers get washed every other week and I just noticed last night that they are just starting to be a little worn. The round bed is 1.5 years old and still looks like new. The stuffing stays pretty lofty and I fluff them when I wash the covers. And.... they're just $25-30!!!

If you don't have a membership to Sam's it might be worth it to find a friend or coworker who does who would be willing to take you there.

Olivia

Anda,

Some of mine use beds, and some don't. A couple like to sleep under my bed (cavelike?). So I have beds for the ones who will use them, and the rest just sleep wherever they like. Sometimes a bed is just a folded up blanket.

J.

I too have dogs that don't use beds - in fact, none of my bc's have liked actual dog beds. At the end of winter sales, I buy twin size (r smaller if I can find them) comforters, quilts or blankets. I've paid less than $5 for comforters at Garden Ridge and similar places. Just fold them, toss them anywhere out of the way on the floor - instant dog bed. Easy to wash, and not too expensive to pitch if chewed on or otherwise damaged beyond repair!

No suggestion, Erin - just wondering how do you get a dog to sleep in a dog bed if they don't like dog beds? :rolleyes: I have the nicest dog bed I can ask for - received as a gift for Ouzo from a friend - and unless I tell him to get in and sit and lay down and feed him treats, he doesn't wanna be there. He's never liked sleeping on a dog bed - on the day we brought him home we bought him a huge pillow-type one from Walmart and I don't think he's ever slept on it, not even one time. And now this one - has memory foam, beautiful, dark brown suede - even comes with its own little pillow and cover. He liked the pillow - he through it was a toy and played with it for a while looking for the squeaker. But I cannot convince him that sleeping in his bed is a very good thing.

IMO, I wouldn't worry. I look at it this way:

My dogs know where they are allowed to sleep and where they are not allowed. I have provided them with a nice, appropriate sized dog bed (each has one available at night in my room, I have one big one in my office, and one big one in the livingroom) and each with a crate with a cushioned mat inside.

If they elect to sleep on the floor, thats fine with me.

Dogs are not allowed to sleep on my bed as there isn't room for me, my tall husband and dogs in our queen sized bed. Two sleep in beds, one sleeps on the floor. Occasionally one bed sleeper elects to sleep in his open crate.

They are allowed on our couches so long as they get off immediately when asked, and if they then sleep on teh floor instead of the dog bed thats ok with me.

I have also found that the dogs seldom use beds when its hot, and bed use increases as a dog ages.

Our guys love these. A little pricey for the large ones but the foam is firm and is somewhat nested in shape. They are very durable with washable cover. They will monogram them with the dogs name for a few more dollars. L.L. Bean always has some kind odiscount going on too. Currently its -$10 on $50 purchase.

Thanks for the Skittles sighting, MaryP! :rolleyes:

Jack has a round bed from Big Lots that's at the top of the stairs. When I go up to get in the bed, he gets in his. He is there in the morning when I get up. When it was cold upstairs I covered him up with a beach towel.

I need BC size beds that have removable covers for washing, come in a variety of colors (they must match our decor lol), and keep their shape relatively well. I'd also like to avoid cedar inside since the odor tends to give me headaches.

Try Orvis beds (www.orvis.com). We've had the bagel nest for three years now and its holding up. The dogs also love the big round Orvis bed filled with little beads -- its hysterical to watch them dig and dig before they find just the right spot to lie down. Orvis can be pricey but if you can wait, they have good sales periodically...

I have two crate pads that I cover with fleece blankets for my two. I can change the color of the blankets to match my mood! :rolleyes: They do seem to like having their own "space". Although, they usually end up sleeping in bed with me most of the time. :D

Archived