BC Boards

Tips or suggestion on diarrhea

Just curious what others have done. My one pup was having a bout of diarrhea (for a few days) and I didn't know what to do when I went to work....since I didnt want him having to pooh in his kennel (and get it all over him). I left him out in (an insulated and heated) garage - but clean up was NO fun. What do others do when in this situation? I have people who let my dogs out while at work, but thats every 4 hrs. With diarrhea, you don't know when they HAVE to go.....?!!! :rolleyes:

Just curious what others have done. My one pup was having a bout of diarrhea (for a few days) and I didn't know what to do when I went to work....since I didnt want him having to pooh in his kennel (and get it all over him). I left him out in (an insulated and heated) garage - but clean up was NO fun. What do others do when in this situation? I have people who let my dogs out while at work, but thats every 4 hrs. With diarrhea, you don't know when they HAVE to go.....?!!! :rolleyes:

First, take your puppy to the vet so that they can eliminate the source of the diarrhea, be it a little stomach virus or intestinal parasites. They will also likely give your pup medicine to help with it too.

Second, boiled chicken and plain white rice for a few days in place if his kibble might go easy on his stomach.

I agree with Sarah. Diahrea in a puppy can be more serious than an adult dog so take him to the vet first and foremost.

Oatmeal works for my guys. Add boiled/bland chicken to make it a bit more appitizing. Pepto bismol helps a lot, but since it's a puppy, I would consult the vet on how much or how often.

When Grady had the poops, I just left him in his kennel. I found it was so much easier to clean and hose off one spot than it was to clean up a ton of little spots :rolleyes: He got a bath every day regardless of where he was because the poop was all over his butt anyway.

Good luck. I hope the little guy feels better.

Usually when my dogs get the runs, I give them rice, plain chicken and some canned pumpkin. It seems to work, and they love it.

Where I work, they put the dogs on a diet of low-residue Iams (I do not recommend this) and rice.

When they have the runs I start with plain canned pumpkin (which you can't even find in the stores right now-grrrr). That usually fixes them right up within a day. If by some chance they still have problems I will try the boiled rice and chicken. If still a problem we go to the vets. If a young pup or older dog I am usually quicker about vet visits though. I also make sure there is no blood in it - if blood we go directly to the vets or if the dog seems lethargic I will also go to the vet quickly.

Dogs can become dehydrated very quickly so you have to be careful

If I know what the cause is - like noshing on a dead seagull :rolleyes: - I do a 12 to 24 hour fast and then start them on small meals three times a day of steamed white rice and a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese.

If I know what the cause is - like noshing on a dead seagull :rolleyes: - I do a 12 to 24 hour fast and then start them on small meals three times a day of steamed white rice and a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese.

Once mine got into a sheep carcass and another time a deer carcass. Fortunately, Mick has a stomach of steel, and both were pretty frozen at the time, so I think that helped. He suffered no ill effects from either one.

thanx for the tips.... :rolleyes: am very good at handling diarrhea and causes..... Not only do I have canned pumpkin (always!!) but I also have probiotics, and pet tonic (a mix of b vitamins + a few others) AND always pedialyte (BOTH freezer pops and liquid). His was caused by worms (eww) and he's already seen the vet and been cleared up. I feed Raw but thanx for the food suggestions.

Wanted to know what people did when dog is HAVING a bout- do they get kenneled? left in a enclosed area on hard floors? FOR when you go to work. I'm looking for an ingenious tip! :D That lets the dog go when he's gotta go, and doesnt get him all messy with minimal cleanup.... Any ideas?

It depends on the dog. I currently have 3 dogs crated and 2 who are not. The ones that are not crated don't get crated when they have bouts as the stress would be worse for them. The 3 that are crated will be crated when they have bouts. When I know I have a sick dog, I will ask the dog walker to come more often and will just pay for the extra visits. If that can't happen and the dog is having diarrhea often, I will usually just work from home so I can be there for them and my house...

thanx for the tips.... :rolleyes: am very good at handling diarrhea and causes..... Not only do I have canned pumpkin (always!!) but I also have probiotics, and pet tonic (a mix of b vitamins + a few others) AND always pedialyte (BOTH freezer pops and liquid). His was caused by worms (eww) and he's already seen the vet and been cleared up. I feed Raw but thanx for the food suggestions.

Wanted to know what people did when dog is HAVING a bout- do they get kenneled? left in a enclosed area on hard floors? FOR when you go to work. I'm looking for an ingenious tip! :D That lets the dog go when he's gotta go, and doesnt get him all messy with minimal cleanup.... Any ideas?

Neither of my dogs are crated. Mick hasn't been crated since he was 7 months old (got him at 5 months and he was housebroken in a day, despite living for a month outside being fostered on a sheep farm in PA). Sinead spent a few days in seclusion in a spare room, but that was because of kennel cough. She quickly proved herself to be housebroken and not likely to destroy anything. I don't even own a crate at this point. I sold it because I didn't need it for the dogs.

I think everyone is more concerned with the health of your pup first and any duration of diarrhea is dangerous to a pup. If you have or can get a large crate with a divider in it I'd put the pup in one of those. That way he can at least get out of his bed area if he has to go!

I'm interpreting your real question as "What do you do when they have diarrhea - crate or ?"

When my ~ 1-year-old pup started showing signs of diarrhea first thing in the morning a couple of weeks ago, DH and I did the usual: we played dueling calendars. He lost. I went to work (to teach my morning class), he worked from home that day.

I called him after my class (and subsequent meeting) ended to find out how the pup was doing. He said the pup had had diarrhea every 15 minutes ever since I'd left. I said "and at what point did you call the vet? and what time is his appointment?"

If I HAD to leave a dog/pup unsupervised until I could get them in to see the vet, I'd suggest leaving him locked in a room with floors more easily cleaned than your typical garage - a bathroom? a kitchen? Bleach does wonders at disinfecting such nastiness, and pups are *so* much happier not being forced to soil themselves.

I have a set up where my dog door leads to a 4x8' kennel. When I am home the dogs can access the yard (the door of the kennel is open), but overnight and when I am gone I can lock the gate of the kennel and they can still go potty but not get in the yard.

Its a wonderful thing for elderly dogs who need to pee a lot and when someone is sick...I recommend it highly to anyone.

Ours is also covered so when its really rainy the dog who hates rain can pee outside without getting wet.

It wouldn't hurt to see if your vet does 'daycare'...call and explain your pup is having Diarrhea, drop them off while you're at work, to have them look after the little guy until you can pick him up. Most vet clinics I know and have worked for will do this.

That's AWESOME! :rolleyes: thanx for the tip. I really like the outdoor kennel idea too! :D

Archived