BC Boards

Grapefruit Seed Extract for Oral Hygiene

We have some dogs with clean teeth and some with teeth that don't stay clean while all are on the same diet and have the same chewing habits. I suspect this is due to genetically linked differences in body chemistry. I have read and have heard that grapefruit seed extract can be added to drinking water to help with oral hygiene (reduced tartar build-up).

Can someone please provide more information on the use of GSE and any documented studies on its efficacy?

Mark

Can someone please provide more information on the use of GSE and any documented studies on its efficacy?

Grapefruit seed oil is surrounded by some amount of controversy, not least, because any efficacy reported appears to have derived from additives, and not the extract itself. I have not seen its use mentioned specifically for oral hygiene.

I tried it quite a while ago. It did nothing for my dog's teeth. Feeding chicken necks worked much, much better.

That's anecdotal, of course, but I can say that much! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I would judge what a dog will and will not eat based upon our sense of taste; there are lots of things I wouldn't want to taste that dogs love to eat. :rolleyes:

True, but I imagine even a dog wouldn't like licking astringent metal... Then again, ours go eat the fruit off the rootstock pear tree we had (until we let the goats at it), which was a bit like chewing on a wad of cotton infused with green bananas, so what do I know! :D

I have used a product called PetzLife in the past for oral hygiene. PetzLife

It has GSE in it. I've heard good reviews about the PetzLife products from people that used it consistently. I didn't use it long enough to give you a recommendation.

I have not tried this product, but I have 2 friends who use it and say they have seen an improvement in the amount of tarter on their dogs teeth. I am considering it, as I have a dog who regardless of how much he chews (and he eats raw so he chews a lot) his incisors get disgusting really quick.

Plaque Off

I have tried the Plaque Off and I agree, it definitely works. It also takes care of stinky breath pretty quickly.

Archived