BC Boards

release word usage

And, if you accidentally release your dog when you don't intend to, it's an opportunity to share a moment of humor with the dog. :rolleyes:

And a slap on the hand for yourself for not paying attention. :D

Pam

I would say the click does not end the behaviour. I look at this way, the click is not a release cue it is simply "good work you got it right" and "there is a treat coming your way" but it does not mean "break". If my dog was to release itself when I clicked I would be annoyed because I have not released her and would look at it as her breaking a stay. Simple if you do not want the click to mean release, don't let it. :rolleyes:

An interesting article on "Does the Click End the Behaviour?"

http://www.courteouscanine.com/articles/read_article/?id=8

Pam

Interesting. I like when she talked about how her dogs are always having her learn new things. That has been my experience, too.

I'm guessing she doesn't teach running contacts. The click certainly ends that behavior! At least in some methods of teaching it. Of course it doesn't, as Mariji pointed out, mean "break". But the dog is definitley not given the treat in the contact zone.

This is a fun question.

... My dogs understand ok in conversation is not the same as OK! because I've taught them this. OK! will only ever be directed at them by itself or with a dog's name, not surrounded by other words. Dogs are smart, give 'em some credit. ;-)

Rex's generic recall command is Come, and his command to move clockwise around the sheep is Come Bye. If I want a short flank, it's just Come. He seems to know that when we're not working sheep, Come means a recall. When we're working sheep, Come is a flank. And when I want to recall him off the sheep, I tell him "that'll do". He seems to have no trouble giving me the appropriate behaviours for the situation. Like Rave said, I think that dogs are pretty smart. :rolleyes:

Years ago we were taught to say "sit" and "stay" let's say for the long sit, and "wait" for the recall. Things are so different now. I have been watching the videos on www.Leerburg.com and have purchased a few and their method is as above. If you put them in let's say a "sit" they do not release until told to do so, so you don't need the "stay" command.

I have watched Susan Garrett and she uses "break" for her release word extensively.

Years ago we were taught to say "sit" and "stay" let's say for the long sit, and "wait" for the recall.

Yes! I learned that, too, when I first started! I did do that for a while, but I didn't end up keeping it. I tend to say "stay" now when my dog is stationary, and "wait" when the dog is in motion and I want him to stop and wait. I use a "stay" to indicate that a position (sit, down, stand) should be maintained. With a "wait" the dog can choose.

It is interesting how things like that change!

Archived