BC Boards

Dally and Genie are lost

Please don't lose hope. I know if they can they will let your faith guide them home.

Prayers to you and them. I too wish i was closer and could offer real help. Anything from here just name it.

Such a scary place to be in but please keep your faith.

It was over a week till I found Sam. And I was across the country when Raven went missing. So I know things can and do happen even when it feels like it's to long.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure where you live and how close things are to you, but how far out have you expanded the search? People are notorious for picking up an animal and for some reason taking them to a shelter/vet 1-2 hours away. Maybe they don't have time to stop or don't know where the local shelter is and take the animal to a shelter near where they live.

Maybe someone picked them up in the snow and took them to a shelter farther away or still have them in their home and haven't seen the lost ads :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where you live and how close things are to you, but how far out have you expanded the search? People are notorious for picking up an animal and for some reason taking them to a shelter/vet 1-2 hours away. Maybe they don't have time to stop or don't know where the local shelter is and take the animal to a shelter near where they live.

Maybe someone picked them up in the snow and took them to a shelter farther away or still have them in their home and haven't seen the lost ads :rolleyes:

I have continously expanded my search but, I'm at least 1 hour in each direction. I recalled everyone. Put up tons of signs today. I know their microchips work I've had them rescanned more than once they are in the right spot. I've spoke to all the rescues that do border collies in case they get a call. Honestly I really do think I have to face the reality that something may have happened to them. In the pocono's it happens.

Don't give up yet. There are still places to look! We lost our lab mix when we were kids. Searched everywhere, including the city sanitation in case they found a dead dog. Over a week later, she came strolling up the side walk like nothing happend.

Our animal control doesn't have a place of it's own. THere's a rescue that takes the dogs they find in Rilfe proper but we're out of the town so Sam was taken about 7 miles away to a vet practice that holds the dogs for 5 days, then they go to a rescue that's over 30 miles away.

I'm just so sorry, I'm still hanging on to hope and prayers. I'm sure you've brought pictures around to all the vets and AC's in your area. But again, I'd call everyday if I felt there was the slightest chance that someone was working today and not tomorrow so there'd be new people to talk too.

Do you have signs at all the gas stations and markets? I put poster signs on all the big mailbox places I could find. Plus on any road sign. I spread my posters out each day a little bit farther from home.

Do you have them listed in the paper? I spent the extra and put a picture of Sam in the paper.

I have continously expanded my search but, I'm at least 1 hour in each direction. I recalled everyone. Put up tons of signs today. I know their microchips work I've had them rescanned more than once they are in the right spot. I've spoke to all the rescues that do border collies in case they get a call. Honestly I really do think I have to face the reality that something may have happened to them. In the pocono's it happens.

Try to put your mind at rest. You've done all you can for now. Wait for the message to get out to the right person. I'm still thinking they're tucked away in a safe place. Have you contacted Ch 16 or CH 28.? Tell them you are a rescuer who has saved many dogs and now yours are missing and you are asking the community to help. I used to do news writing and that would be the kind of story I would pick up and try to run. If you want some help in organizing an approach, send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Try to put your mind at rest. You've done all you can for now. Wait for the message to get out to the right person. I'm still thinking they're tucked away in a safe place. Have you contacted Ch 16 or CH 28.? Tell them you are a rescuer who has saved many dogs and now yours are missing and you are asking the community to help. I used to do news writing and that would be the kind of story I would pick up and try to run. If you want some help in organizing an approach, send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Thanks for the offer but, I would have a hard time asking for this help. I dont feel that my dogs are any more improtant than other people who are also looking. I would feel sad to put myself ahead of them in a way. I placed more ads tonight and I extended requests to friends to post flyers at a huge place with 1000's of employees. I'll try the newspapers. My son says my dogs were a hot topic with kids on his bus so my flyers are being seen but, not my dogs.

Thanks for the offer but, I would have a hard time asking for this help. I dont feel that my dogs are any more improtant than other people who are also looking. I would feel sad to put myself ahead of them in a way. I placed more ads tonight and I extended requests to friends to post flyers at a huge place with 1000's of employees. I'll try the newspapers. My son says my dogs were a hot topic with kids on his bus so my flyers are being seen but, not my dogs.

You would feel sad to put yourself ahead? Why????? These are your dogs, your "kids"... and you pull every string, you call every connection you can think of until you get them home!!!! Then if you want to pay back by helping others find their dogs dog so. But I wouldn't hesitate to use every resource you have available.

Scared dogs can cover many miles more than people think they can. And if they are, as expected now, thin and dirty, people who find them may not want to contact the # on the flyers because they think the dogs are "abused". TV can put a face to the flyer, generating a different attitude in the person who may have the dogs.

call the TV station - now please.

Thanks for the offer but, I would have a hard time asking for this help. I dont feel that my dogs are any more improtant than other people who are also looking. I would feel sad to put myself ahead of them in a way.

I may regret typing this, but...

Huh? I am sorry; I know you are going through everyone's worst nightmare here, but I don't understand this at all.

With all due respect, how is maximizing public exposure to your dogs' plight putting yourself ahead of any other people? (What people? Those who are looking for their own lost dogs?) How would telling your story be done at the expense of other people with lost dogs? The television stations aren't, say, running one lost dog story per week, so that if they ran a story on your dogs, some other lost dog's story wouldn't be told--instead, it would preempt some random story about the health benefits of olives or a new design of postage stamps. I am pulling for you to find Dally and Genie as much as I can, and I get not wanting their story to go viral because it would put your rescue on the radar for receiving countless "help this dog" emails in exchange for not too much of a chance of your dogs being found in other parts of the country. But I cannot understand not taking advantage of an opportunity to get the word (and your dogs' photos) out to as many people in your area as possible--especially when Liz is offering to help you get it done. Come on--don't your dogs deserve the opportunity to be seen by as many people as possible in your area?

This is such a hard thing. My neighbor's cat went out at noon on Sunday, and didn't come back as expected. I couldn't bear the thought of my dog being out there somewhere, and not knowing his fate. I was thinking about you and my neighbor, and how long and far do you go before you resign yourself to move on?

There was a Kuvasz (giant, all white) in my town who got lost a few years ago. He was seen in a variety of neighborhoods, on the move, hiding from people. The woman followed all the dog rescue tips, and put up signs in ever single dog-walking area for miles and miles. Every dog person knew about this dog - but it was never found. A full year and a half later, I was walking on a beach 15 miles away, and there was a man there with a white Kuvasz. I asked him where he'd gotten it, and he said some friends "gave it to him" because they couldn't keep it anymore. I almost sat in the lot and waited for him to leave, so I could follow him home and get his address. I did call the original owner and tell her about the incident. Given that I've never seen a Kuvasz before or since, I'm pretty sure it was the same dog. I can't stand knowing that the woman never saw her dog again. He's probably aged so that he'd be dead by now. Very sad.

I agree with others that there's still hope for your dogs... but I know that none of us can say for sure what we'd do in the same situation. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Mary

This is an e-mail I received from a friend who does Greyhound rescue work. It is a little long but so appropriate.................

It sends the message..........NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

I posted a lost Greyhound on the Greyhound Amber Alert in July of '08.

Sabrina, a dog I got from Gulf Greyhound in July of '07, had slipped her

collar when startled on a walk with her new owner. We and some east Texas

volunteers searched, but only had one verified sighting, a week after she

bolted.

Since then we've had an occasional call about her, usually when I had

updated a Craigslist posting or taken out another ad in the paper. Last

September the ACO in Longview contacted my adoption group, as they had a

sighting of a Greyhound in Longview and knew we had lost one. The folks

actually reported her as a "Great Dane or Greyhound," and couldn't say what

color the dog they saw was. There were no repeat sightings, and the adoption

group had folks driving the area and even had friends who live in that area

looking. No dice.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday - the adoption group received a call

from a former all-breed rescuer who said that she saw a brindle Greyhound in

Longview, near where she was supposedly sighted last September. This

sighting was very credible since the woman was assumed to be somewhat

breed-savvy. The neighbor there had been feeding the dog, so it looked like

we had a spot to set a trap (something we've not had before). So I made

arrangements to borrow the GALT trap and started asking folks on the rescue

lists for volunteers to help check it - but I guess I asked for help too

soon. After arranging to get the live trap, I did not get permission to set

it up.

The rescuer gave me the contact info for Bobbie, the woman at whose house

the dog was spotted. Thursday night I talked with Bobbie, and found out

she'd been feeding Sabrina for eight months!!! Bobbie didn't want us to trap

Sabrina - she thought Sabrina would be scared by the trap - she wanted to

try to put a leash on her. She had been able to pet her (and even took a

tick off of her), and felt that she could put her scarf around her neck and

bring her in.

I thought it would be best to let Bobbie try, since she'd worked at gaining

Sabrina's trust (there'd always be time for trapping if a finesse capture

didn't work). I told Bobbie Sabrina's story, and how we've been tracking

down every lead for the last year and a half. Bobbie promised to call me

when she got her, or let me know if she needed help capturing her.

I again spoke with Bobbie Friday morning, and she said that she saw Sabrina

waiting to be fed- and Sabrina was soaked as it was raining. Her plan was to

try to bring her in the house Friday night when she fed her again. Well, she

succeeded! She hid the leash in her sleeve and slipped it over Sabina's

head. She sent me some phone pictures, and I was pretty sure it was Sabrina

(by the swirl in her brindling). Sabrina spent the night resting comfortably

in her bathroom, scared but at least now safe. Bobbie pulled a bunch of

ticks off of her, fed her, and kept her comfortable.

I left home Saturday morning at 4am to drive to Longview and get the dog I

was sure was Sabrina and bring her back here before my meet-and-greet

(Saturdays are busy for me). She seemed to respond to her name, and gave me

kisses on the way home, but when I got home I checked her tatts, and it

really is Sabrina! She'll go to the vet early next week, as with all the

ticks she'll need bloodwork to see what tick-borne diseases she has, as well

as a heartworm test. Her right rear leg muscle appears atrophied, but I

don't think it's an injury.

So anyway, from July of 2008 till February of 2010 - no one knows where this

girl was, but I do now. She's now asleep on a dog bed upstairs.

Lin and the GreyGirls

I'm only going to justify this once but, my tv stations dont put lost dogs on ever so putting the rescue out there to push get them on just isnt something I'd like to do. If it was a new site to lost dogs in my area and they wanted my personal plight to advertise it. That sort of thing it would be different. People here have bought bill boards for their lost dogs placed newspaper ads with huge rewards to rat out your neigbors who might have their dogs.

They still didnt get their dogs back because there are all types of preditory animals here, Highways, Trains, people that shoot dogs by accident or on purpose. There are 400+ acres behind my house and all you have to do is cross a 2 lane road and your in another 1000 acres of game lands.

We have lost dogs from the rescue advertised and didnt say they were from the rescue and know for a fact that people chose to keep the dog rather than return it. There are still people here who choose to live like hill people. It took years to get proof of it. Guess who told they did. One family the kids who are now teens didnt know it wasnt adopted from the rescue. They told my mom how much they love the dog.

I've got 100+ miles of shelters covered in 6 counties all the dog laws and their supervisor. There are only state employees here.

There are flyers all over and I'll cover more ground today. Like I said I hit up rescue contacts to place ads at the biggest employer here in the whole area in case they are on the base.

Where I live is a small area for people but, a huge area for land.

I'm only going to justify this once but, my tv stations dont put lost dogs on ever so putting the rescue out there to push get them on just isnt something I'd like to do.

Your reluctance is understandable and its only a chance that it would be a slow news day and the story would get picked up. You're done the best job you can to find to dogs. Now, do your best to picture them dogs safe and cared for while you're waiting for word to trickle down to the right person.

Liz

I haven't read through everyone's suggestions, so maybe this has been suggested already, but if you haven't, you might want to get in touch with local training centers and ask them to have their students look out for your dog.

There is a lost dog in our area and that's how I found out about it. The owner of the place has really gotten on board with helping the dog's owner get the word out.

Prayers continue.

I haven't read through everyone's suggestions, so maybe this has been suggested already, but if you haven't, you might want to get in touch with local training centers and ask them to have their students look out for your dog.

There is a lost dog in our area and that's how I found out about it. The owner of the place has really gotten on board with helping the dog's owner get the word out.

Prayers continue.

I already notified a bunch of them too. I know tons of people through rescue and agility that I had their emails or they are facebook friends. I'm actually back home to make more copies of the signs to post. I think the deep snow if keeping them form moving anywhere but, close by their shelter.

I keep hoping to see good news here - still sending good thoughts and hugs your way -

Sending my prayers your way, hoping for the safe return of your dogs.

My mom works at the Tobyhanna Army Depot. Did you put up anything there? If not, PM me something and I'll forward it to her and ask her to print it and hang it up. I know a lot of people commute there for work from all around the Poconos.

Michele

Archived